Winning solves everything

wildcard

Just now, CheeryO said:

So true, though the other way of looking at is realizing the O's have only gotten near the WS 2 or 3 times since 1983, and only once since 1997.  Duquette, MacPhail and Showalter have done a good job making this team a winner again, but it's hard to see how to reach the next level unless the O's do a better job developing and keeping more cheap, controllable starting pitching -- or risking some splurges on the likes of Greinke, Scherzer or Cueto.  

Again, absolutely a shot across the bow of the odds au naturale. 

10 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

Nothing has changed for me. I enjoy it more when they win, but they are not a serious contender for a long play-off run.

Nonsense.  Any team that makes the playoffs has a significant and relatively unforeseeable chance of winning it all.   The only thing that matters in October is what team in the playoffs is hot and plays 10 games or so the best.  Period.  If the Orioles happened to be playing like they were when they won seven in a row, then they would win.   Constructing a  team to "have a long playoff run" is a fan's idea and is impossible.  GMs actually construct teams to make it to the playoffs and then it is roll the dice.  Ask the 1969 Orioles. 

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

29 teams.    Only making it to the World Series is a miserable failure.    Forget the 162 game season and two rounds of playoffs you enjoyed.  Success and failure and happiness or misery should be determined exclusively by what happens in 10 days in late October.    There's no such thing as relativism.    You're either a champion or a LOSER.      So don't you dare enjoy the Orioles being in another tight race this summer, because those with perfect knowledge say the O's will be among the 29 LOSERS.    We're fools if we don't understand that and actually want to watch the games and enjoy seeing how it unfolds.    

The original post was talking about the different perspectives on the team. Winning against New York and Boston this week has not changed where I see the team's shot at the moment. If the pitching comes together like 2014 anything is possible.

I never tell anyone how to be a fan, or try to insinuate my way of being a fan is better. Please show me where I called anyone a "fool".

1 hour ago, weams said:

Meaning you could have just as easily said Zimmermann or David Price. 

Yes, and Greinke was pretty awful last year and back to being quite good this year.  Cueto was quite good last year and merely OK this year.  In fact I think Cueto is a guy the O's could target in a trade midway this season if they are playing well enough, though knowing the O's that'd be more risk than they could bear.

David Price is the one guy I don't understand why teams were so willing to pay so much money for.  Yes, he gets it done most of the year, but then he just falls apart in the postseason.  In my opinion his flaws were more apparent than people were willing to admit.  He's not Erik Bedard level in his warning signs, but the signs were there. That's not to say that he won't figure out and become an ace again, even into the postseason.

Archived