The O's are 13th in the AL in starter ERA but.....

wildcard

Steve Melewski makes the point on were the O's starters rank in ERA at 4.59 but that got me wondering.  Where would the current rotation place?  Bundy, Miley, Asher. Guasman and Tillman.  The O's have made two changes.  In May the O's swapped the Shuttle for Tillman.  And now Asher has replaced Ubaldo.   If the current 5 starters ERAs are added together the combined ERA in 4.129.   That put them 3rd fractions ahead off the Yankees at 4.131.     

I thought that was interesting.

It's hard to know how Asher will do as the league becomes familiar with him.     Overall, if I had to guess, I think our starters' collective ERA will drop from where it's at now.    Gausman's a big key; obviously I'm not expecting his 5.92 ERA to remain that high, and he's already dropped it by over a run in his last three starts.    Hopefully he can get it down into the mid-4's by season's end (which would require a sub-4 ERA over his remaining starts).    I'm also hoping against hope that Tillman can figure a way to throw sub-5 from here.    

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

Steve Melewski makes the point on were the O's starters rank in ERA at 4.59 but that got me wondering.  Where would the current rotation place?  Bundy, Miley, Asher. Guasman and Tillman.  The O's have made two changes.  In May the O's swapped the Shuttle for Tillman.  And now Asher has replaced Ubaldo.   If the current 5 starters ERAs are added together the combined ERA in 4.129.   That put them 3rd fractions ahead off the Yankees at 4.131.     

I thought that was interesting.

I'm sure other teams have also made rotation changes, like Boston adding David Price for example

I think there's a limit to how many wrong decisions one can make about the pitching staff before suffering serious irreversible consequences, and that is how it should be. The O's will come up short because of their lack of quality starting pitching and I'm OK with that because it was their responsibility over the last few years to find or develop more and they didn't.

Team ERA (MLB ranking):

• Yankees: 3.76 (4th)
  • Red Sox: 3.84 (7th)
  • Rays: 4.04 (9th)
  • Blue Jays: 4.20 (16th)
  • Orioles: 4.34 (20th)

Team R/G (MLB ranking):

• Yankees: 5.44 (3rd)
  • Red Sox: 4.84 (9th)
  • Rays: 4.61 (16th)
  • Orioles: 4.44 (21st)
  • Blue Jays: 4.34 (22nd)

2 hours ago, LookitsPuck said:

Team ERA (MLB ranking):

• Yankees: 3.76 (4th)
  • Red Sox: 3.84 (7th)
  • Rays: 4.04 (9th)
  • Blue Jays: 4.20 (16th)
  • Orioles: 4.34 (20th)

Team R/G (MLB ranking):

• Yankees: 5.44 (3rd)
  • Red Sox: 4.84 (9th)
  • Rays: 4.61 (16th)
  • Orioles: 4.44 (21st)
  • Blue Jays: 4.34 (22nd)

That doesn't account for defense, but the team has a negative (-9) run differential coming into tonight, so yeah, just not a good team as of now.

Archived