Do We Sell?

Bahama O's Fan

4 minutes ago, crawjo said:

For me, the argument against extending Machado has less to do with Machado than the rest of the team. If you put $300 million (or more) into Machado, how are you going to build and maintain a winning team around him? We don't have the young players coming up. The farm system is very weak. We trade Machado not because he won't be worth the money but because we need to find a way back to contention, and I don't see how we can do that without acquiring prospects (and probably finishing in last for a couple years in a row so we can get some really high draft picks). 

I agree. I think if and when we trade Machado has more to do with how Gausman, Tillman, Bundy pitch than anything else. We aren't buying premier starting pitching any time soon.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course we try to sell.... but there isn't much left

We should try to get some value back for Machado, Schoop, Brach, Bundy, Gausman and Britton

We should move Jones, Davis, O'day, and Trumbo but they would all just be salary dumps... we wouldn't get anything of value back but perhaps get some desperate team to share a small portion of their salaries.

We should play 2018 and 2019 will payrolls well under 100 million and be okay with losing 100+ games

Folks have still not figured out how complete the DD devastation of this franchise is.

It will be 3 to 5 years with a great FO before this team is again competitive.

Sad thing is it didn't have to be this way.

Trade Jim Johnson in 2013, Chris Davis and Darren O'day after 2015 season, and Britton last winter and never sign JJ Hardy... and assuming we did just okay on those trades and we'd be running away with the AL East here in 2017

7 hours ago, TradeAngelos said:

When was the last time this team "sold" anything? 

2011.    And they sold many times from 2000-11.     Clark, Surhoff, Timlin, Bordick, Ponson, Tejada, Bedard, Huff, Uehara.      It didn't take 14 years for Angelos to agree to rebuild.     It took 12 years for a rebuild to work.

14 minutes ago, Frobby said:

2011.    And they sold many times from 2000-11.     Clark, Surhoff, Timlin, Bordick, Ponson, Tejada, Bedard, Huff, Uehara.      It didn't take 14 years for Angelos to agree to rebuild.     It took 12 years for a rebuild to work.

Yep it would take 3 to 5 year for a good FO to get the O's back to competiveness. If we hire our normal GM's or say turn the team over to Brady Anderson, we could easily have a decade or more of losing.

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

People rag on our developmental system all the time. Rightfully so.  So why is everyone in a hurry to rebuild?  You think we're going to get back a guy that has Kevin Gausman's stuff?  We can't even turn him into a 4 ERA SP.  

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

People rag on our developmental system all the time. Rightfully so.  So why is everyone in a hurry to rebuild?  You think we're going to get back a guy that has Kevin Gausman's stuff?  We can't even turn him into a 4 ERA SP.  

You act like he sucked the last 3 years?  Name me the pitchers NYY and Boston have developed in recent years? 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I think if Syd Thrift had never been GM the O's would have rebounded sooner.  His tenure set back the Orioles for years, he should have been on a golf course instead of running an MLB franchise. 

3 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think if Syd Thrift had never been GM the O's would have rebounded sooner.  His tenure set back the Orioles for years, he should have been on a golf course instead of running an MLB franchise. 

It was an awful decision by PA. 

11 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

You act like he sucked the last 3 years?  Name me the pitchers NYY and Boston have developed in recent years? 

You're out of touch.  

New York

• Luis Servino(23)- 75.1 IP, 2.51 ERA
  • Jordan Montgomery(24)- 63.1 IP, 3.55 ERA

Boston

• Eduardo Rodriguez
  • Steven Wright 

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Nobody else wanted the job.  That's why we had to hire a GM that had basically been blackballed in the MLB.  

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You're out of touch.  

New York

• Luis Servino(23)- 75.1 IP, 2.51 ERA
  • Jordan Montgomery(24)- 63.1 IP, 3.55 ERA

Boston

• Eduardo Rodriguez
  • Steven Wright 

One not even half year of Severino and Montgomery??

If Boston gets credit for ERod they  the Orioles do for Tillman. 

Wright the knuckleballer? Please. 

43 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

What's the alternative to a rebuild at this point?

Archived