Do We Sell?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

One not even half year of Severino and Montgomery??

If Boston gets credit for ERod they  the Orioles do for Tillman. 

Wright the knuckleballer? Please. 

They're 23 and 24.  What do you want them to be?  10 year vets?  EdRod had a 5 ERA in Bowie for us, came up with them that season and pitched well.  I think they helped him.  Wright was an AS.  

We developed Tillman.  Of course.  I'm not 12.  

We aren't some small market payroll team.  Heck, we're up there with the big boys now.  You can afford a David Price or Sale if you aren't spending 12 million a year on Ubaldo and Gallardo.  Heck, you might have a farm system to trade for Sale if you aren't giving away 1st rd picks for Ubaldo, Gallardo, and then attaching first round picks to Webb, Norris and Matusz.  That's 5 first round picks that were given away for nothing.  We could have used the 5 first round talents to trade for an Ace like Sale.  

20 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

I think if Syd Thrift had never been GM the O's would have rebounded sooner.  His tenure set back the Orioles for years, he should have been on a golf course instead of running an MLB franchise. 

I think it was Gary Dell'Abate's fault. :D

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Nobody else wanted the job.  That's why we had to hire a GM that had basically been blackballed in the MLB.  

That is true, but in that case think outside the box and hire a young up and comer.  Of course the Orioles in 2000 were not of this mindset.

I liked the Duquette hiring at the time, he did good work in Montreal and Boston.  He was hungry to show he was still capable. 

If you truly want to sell and rebuild I'm afraid that first means that Duquette and Buck need to go unless they plan to stay for the long haul. You cannot let Duquette make all the trades, acquire the players he likes then have him walk out after 2018 and leave the rebuild up to the new GM with a bunch of traded for talent he had no part in acquiring. With that said, I'd probably let 2017 play out unless something drastic happens and they're 10 back or something. Let Britton reestablish value, let Machado find himself, etc.

8 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

They're 23 and 24.  What do you want them to be?  10 year vets?  EdRod had a 5 ERA in Bowie for us, came up with them that season and pitched well.  I think they helped him.  Wright was an AS.  

We developed Tillman.  Of course.  I'm not 12.  

We aren't some small market payroll team.  Heck, we're up there with the big boys now.  You can afford a David Price or Sale if you aren't spending 12 million a year on Ubaldo and Gallardo.  Heck, you might have a farm system to trade for Sale if you aren't giving away 1st rd picks for Ubaldo, Gallardo, and then attaching first round picks to Webb, Norris and Matusz.  That's 5 first round picks that were given away for nothing.  We could have used the 5 first round talents to trade for an Ace like Sale.  

They haven't been good for an entire year yet is the point. Gausman was above average the last 3 years. Bundy counts, Tillman. Wright was a one year wonder. 

This owner is never paying for an ace regardless of how much money they blow elsewhere. It isn't happening. 

Mistakes were made no question, the owner limiting the GM does not help. 

I can't help but look at our roster right now and only wonder what we could get back for each player.  Like if we traded Machado, Davis, Trumbo, Jones, Gausman, Tillman...

Some of those are buy low candidates but that's ok.  

I think we'd be sitting pretty if we traded all of those guys for prospects.  Try to acquire as many as we can and sort it out.  

The key pieces in terms of making trades are Machado and some of the relief pitchers (Britton if he is healthy by July, Brach). Machado is having a down year so far but I doubt it has hurt his trade value that much. Everyone in baseball knows what he can do, and how young he is. You should be able to get quite a haul of prospects for him if you find the right offer. 

Personally I would not trade Bundy. You can build the rotation around him. 

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

if Duquette was in charge of a rebuild. It would be catastrophic.

Agree and I don't think you want Buck leading a bunch of young unproven players either

Buck would start Hardy over the second coming of A-Rod if he had them both on the roster.

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I would move Bundy in a heartbeat if we got three Major League ready prospects.

Unfortunately all of MLB has seen the low 90's, low K rate Bundy. Maybe 1 ML ready prospect, and 2 low A guys with real potential?

Archived