What could you get for Brach?

Lucky_13

1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

I think it would be a mistake to not even consider the Nats. They have 4 top 100 prospects and a talented system. I think at that point you swallow your pride and do what's best for the future of the franchise. 

I have no problem trading with the Nats.  They are good no matter what the next few years.  They are not in our division so it doesn't bother me if they are good we only play them 4 times not like division move.  Plus then when we beat them feels better.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, crawjo said:

I have never agreed with the logic of not trading within the division. Just look for the best talent, regardless of where it comes from. 

I agree which is why I would look at trading with Boston or Tampa. I feel like I could stomach watching them make a deep run in the playoffs if I knew it meant the Orioles were building a consistent winner. 

11 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Brewers just called up Hader not sure why maybe to show off for trade as he has been bad this year at AAA.  Lots of walks there and 4 in 3 innings.

No idea that he may even have the career that Tyler Wilson has had. Probably be a good Loogy if nothing else. 

59 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Would you say Brach was worth more than Koji Uehara was worth in 2011?    More than George Sherrill was worth in 2009?

As a refresher, Koji had a 1.72 ERA when we traded him, and a combined 2.56 ERA as a reliever in 2010-11.   He had 1.3 seasons remaining on his contract.      We got Tommy Hunter and Chris Davis for him.     At the time, Hunter was a back of rotation starter/middle reliever, and Davis was a former top prospect (BA no. 65 in 2008) who was having trouble sticking in the majors.

When we traded Sherrill, he was carrying a 2.40 ERA and was in his second year as our closer.    He had 1.3 seasons under team control remaining.    He brought back a 3B prospect, Josh Bell (not the one now on the Pirates) and Steve Johnson.    Bell had been BA's no. 37 prospect going into the 2010 season.

Putting aside 20/20 hindsight, I'd say we got a slightly higher return for Koji than for Sherrill.     Personally, I'd say Brach's value is between the two.    

Good reminders. 

3 minutes ago, crawjo said:

I have never agreed with the logic of not trading within the division. Just look for the best talent, regardless of where it comes from. 

One of the very best trades the Orioles ever made was with the Yankees.   We got three members of the Orioles Hall of Fame in one deal -- Rick Dempsey, Scott McGregor and Tippy Martinez.    And a solid starting pitcher, Rudy May, as well.    

7 minutes ago, weams said:

No idea that he may even have the career that Tyler Wilson has had. Probably be a good Loogy if nothing else. 

I'll take Hader's potential career over Tyler Wilson's any day.    

• 2 weeks later...

Why is Brach so underrated on here?  He was an All Star last year.  He went through one tough stretch this year, mainly due to overuse.  He's on pace for a 30 save season.  A 2.4 WAR season.  We're spoiled with relievers.  People wanted to trade this guy for one year of Granderson.  

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why is Brach so underrated on here?  He was an All Star last year.  He went through one tough stretch this year, mainly due to overuse.  He's on pace for a 30 save season.  A 2.4 WAR season.  We're spoiled with relievers.  People wanted to trade this guy for one year of Granderson.  

I want to trade him. Not because I undervalue him, but rather because I value him highly and think we could get a nice haul for him. The Nats could have swept the Cubs but ended up splitting the four game series due to late bullpen collapses. Seems like an ominous sign for their 2017 playoff run. Blake Treinen, who couldn't close out a 2 run lead with 2 outs, is now sporting an ERA over 6. If I were them, I'd pay almost anything for Brach/Britton/Givens

On 6/17/2017 at 4:10 PM, weams said:

Good reminders. 

Brach is worth more now, because how relievers are valued has changed dramatically in recent years....and BTW, while we are a perfect match for the Nats, Angelos will never make a deal with them.

For Brach, I think the O's should target trades with a couple of B prospects rather than a high end guy. Maybe like 3 B-level prospects rather than an A and a C. Like someone said earlier, this is really just a lotto - so more is better especially in a weaker system. Plus, the O's still have Manny and Britton to cash in on the high end guys and having the depth from this trade will help focus who to get in those other deals.

I randomly chose Arizona and here is a type of trade I would like. Brach for Taylor Clarke (RHP, mid to back end starter doing well in AA), Dawel Lugo (3B/SS, O's type of hitter with power potential doing OK at AA), & Domingo Leyba (2B/SS, Good contact guy with improving approach and power in AA). I don't really know if this is a good trade, but something like it. The O's just need pitching depth and more projectable infielders that are close to the majors.

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If the Orioles chose to rebuild/retool they could force the Nationals to give up 2 good prospects.  Their bullpen is going to cost them the world series and they need at a minimum 2 good relievers.

Is Brach really underrated around here?     I think we all know how good he is.   That's a separate question from whether we should trade him.     I'll say this:  we're not going to trade him unless we decide we're folding the tent on 2017.     Our bullpen will need to be at full strength down the stretch for the team to have any chance to make the playoffs or do anything once the playoffs start.    

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Is Brach really underrated around here?     I think we all know how good he is.   That's a separate question from whether we should trade him.     I'll say this:  we're not going to trade him unless we decide we're folding the tent on 2017.     Our bullpen will need to be at full strength down the stretch for the team to have any chance to make the playoffs or do anything once the playoffs start.    

If we did, Fedde and Soto.

46 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If the Orioles chose to rebuild/retool they could force the Nationals to give up 2 good prospects.  Their bullpen is going to cost them the world series and they need at a minimum 2 good relievers.

The Nationals are in a weird spot.  Last year they traded Rivero for Melancon when Rivero was already arguably the better reliever.  Have to wonder how that will affect them this year.

Archived