Its decision time for the future

wildcard

This year might be one of Buck's best managing jobs.  How has he kept the team with the worst starting pitching in the majors around .500.  The O's have one above average starter (Bundy), and he seems to be running on fumes.  Several of our relievers have spent time on the DL, and the offense has looked more 1 dimensional than ever.  It's home run or nothing for most of our hitters in key situations.  Players like Davis and Jones only think of HR, never of going the other way or beating the shift (Davis).

SELL!  SELL!  SELL!

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/23/2017 at 8:52 AM, allquixotic said:

I would trade Bundy and Gausman for as many prospects as we can get in return, too. Their years with the Orioles, if successful, will be wasted if we have no other good pitchers on the staff to win games alongside them. And losing 3 out of every 5 games reliably is no way to run a ball club.

Trade them and maximize the prospect return. I expect us to need to cut nearly every failed prospect we have right now to make room for the guys we haul back from our fire sale ASAP.

There is no way I would trade Bundy. Every team needs an ace. He's ours. Trade Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Britton for as much young talent that is ready to play in the big leagues now.

7 minutes ago, joeyc said:

There is no way I would trade Bundy. Every team needs an ace. He's ours. Trade Manny, Schoop, Bundy, Britton for as much young talent that is ready to play in the big leagues now.

If you plan on not being competitive in the near future you trade him.

A team in total rebuild mode doesn't need an ace.

Of course you don't appear to want to do a total rebuild, which is fine.  But you are really going to limit your returns if you demand major league ready pieces.

DD has got us into this mess, do we really trust him to perform a fire sale correctly?  I'm more optimistic then most.  I think we can spend money and remain competitive and build the farm so the spending is a short term solution. But, as I've said, I don't want DD running this.  As for Bundy, trading him makes no sense to me.  He's exactly the type of player we would be attempting to acquire by trading our stars.  Young, cost controlled with a potential to be an ace. I don't think the goal of a rebuild should be to trade all our good players.  It should be to trade all our good, old players.

15 hours ago, brianod said:

Well, I started a post and it got bumped to another. That often happens if you practice straight talk that is inconvenient for the moderators to hear.  So be it. So, after it was buried in another post, no-one responded. I asked myself if that was because my post had no merit?  Or is that because those on the post it got bumped to were too busy bickering to notice? So, I'll repeat what I said.

For all of you too busy to notice, this is the key question for the next ten years. There are only two avenues open, spend a lot of money or rebuild. DD has shown horrible talent evaluation lately.  He has also failed on the one crucial thing he told us he was going to do, which is build the farm.  So, no matter which avenue you choose, hopefully we can all agree that DD had to go. Anyone who disagrees with this should take a look at the current pitching staff and the pitchers we have given away or not resigned. Now, I'm thankful for DD's tenure, I appreciate the fact that we have been competitive during his time.  But, we have the worst staff in baseball and we have no prospects to support that staff.  Bottom line, he's gotta go because he has failed to do the one thing that can make this franchise competitive long term.

So, now that I have stated the obvious, we can all debate on which way to go.  When I say we need to spend equity, I don't do so lightly. But, if we don't extend Manny, we don't extend Schoop and we don't resign Britton, what does the future look like?  To me,it looks a lot like 2002 where we go into an abyss. A failed talent evaluation staff supported by a low budget.

No matter what, the next big signing should be a stud GM.  Trust in that guy to recommend a rebuild or a money infusion. Anyone trust DD to do that? Also, if we rebuild, Buck aint gonna stay.  That's another part of this equation.

So, have at it.  Maybe I'm wrong and this isn't important and not worth a new thread.  Or maybe there are others that recognize this is the crucial decision facing this franchise and this is the crucial time to make it.

Shouldn't the new GM be allowed to hire his on manager? Should be that way. IMO 

1 hour ago, brianod said:

DD has got us into this mess, do we really trust him to perform a fire sale correctly?  I'm more optimistic then most.  I think we can spend money and remain competitive and build the farm so the spending is a short term solution. But, as I've said, I don't want DD running this.  As for Bundy, trading him makes no sense to me.  He's exactly the type of player we would be attempting to acquire by trading our stars.  Young, cost controlled with a potential to be an ace. I don't think the goal of a rebuild should be to trade all our good players.  It should be to trade all our good, old players.

I think you're unrealistic about how much Angelos can or will spend to try to keep the competitive window open.    It's always fun to assume Angelos is just sitting on a giant pile of untapped cash, but the fact is he's more than doubled the payroll in the last five years and there's probably not a lot more available to be spent.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I think you're unrealistic about how much Angelos can or will spend to try to keep the competitive window open.    It's always fun to assume Angelos is just sitting on a giant pile of untapped cash, but the fact is he's more than doubled the payroll in the last five years and there's probably not a lot more available to be spent.    

And from Angelos' perspective you could make a strong case that the recent increase in payroll has not dramatically affected the team's performance. Most of the big signings and extensions under DD have not really panned out. The arbitration eligibility type salary increases have been worthwhile, the rest not so much (DD has hit it big with some of the one year pickups/cheap trades like Cruz, Trumbo, etc., that resulted in increased payroll). 

On 6/23/2017 at 9:23 AM, glenn__davis said:

Brach probably is the only guy you listed who has much value.  Teams may like Jones, but his contract and role on our team means he has more value to us than he would to anyone else.  None of the others are going to bring back anything of significance.

I don't see much reason to rush it at this point.  I'm watching 4 guys.  If Gausman/Tillman/Machado/Britton can come back and produce like expected they would, this team can compete.  If they can't, pull the plug.  I'd give them about 3 more weeks.

Tillman is done, in my opinion...he can't remember to repeat his motion from one pitch to another.

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I have my doubts that Peter is making those decisions. It could be his sons.

Archived