Its decision time for the future

wildcard

4 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Adam Jones CAN NOT be traded without his consent.  He is a Five Ten Player.  JJ Hardy has a clause in his contract that automatically makes the "Option Contract" a valid 2018 contract for the team he is traded to.  Neither of these players will be in the mix in any deals.

Baseball reference has Jones at:  Service Time (01/2017): 9.139

Hardy is a 10/5 player.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Hardy is a 10/5 player.

So is that 9 years and 139 days?

And is a season considered 180 days?

If so, that means he became a 10-5 player on the 41st day of the season.   And, in fact, I think I recall an article or a tweet several weeks ago to that effect.

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A player accrues 172 days of service time per year.  Prior to this season, Jones had a total as you have stated , of Nine Years and 139 Days.  He needed to play in just 33 games to be at the majical number of 172 (one full year added) and he accomplished that in early May.  5/10 is now in effect for him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/contract-details/service-time-super-two/

Just now, thezeroes said:

A player accrues 172 days of service time per year.  Prior to this season, Jones had a total as you have stated , of Nine Years and 139 Days.  He needed to play in just 33 games to be at the majical number of 172 (one full year added) and he accomplished that in early May.  5/10 is now in effect for him.

http://www.fangraphs.com/library/principles/contract-details/service-time-super-two/

Works for me.  I've always felt the way they represented it to be a bit odd.  I had just checked it a week or so ago and saw the 9.1

35 minutes ago, maybenxtyr said:

I don't think you understand what I meant. Any player that another team wants should be available for the right price. We don't have any untouchable players, but they have some that they would prefer to keep. 

Smith, O'Day, and Jones brings back very little. Of they are moving players in a pure salary dump that's different. You can't rebuild by trading players with little value.

But the way it works is that even though every player is available for the right price, the team that has  players they would prefer to keep makes the asking price so high that no team would pay it.  

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

He has limited no trade protection.

And a wife whose career is based in DC right now.

So I would expect he would exercise whatever rights he had to nix any trade that isn't to the Nationals.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He has limited no trade protection.

Damn. I forgot that he had that put in his contract.  I think that those inclusions, such as Darren's and Hardy's, makes for a restrictive type roster unless you just want to release them.  The same issue that the Orioles had when they could have moved Melvin Mora to the Phillies and he refused.

1 minute ago, thezeroes said:

Damn. I forgot that he had that put in his contract.  I think that those inclusions, such as Darren's and Hardy's, makes for a restrictive type roster unless you just want to release them.  The same issue that the Orioles had when they could have moved Melvin Mora to the Phillies and he refused.

Or when the Philies tried to move some of their vets a couple years ago.

47 minutes ago, wildcard said:

But the way it works is that even though every player is available for the right price, the team that has  players they would prefer to keep makes the asking price so high that no team would pay it.  

I know how it works. Point being, the Orioles need at least 4 starters. They have no one close in the minors so those players will have to come from somewhere. All I'm saying is they will not get the pitching they need without trading high value players in return. 

Mediocre pitching will be expensive on the free agent market this off season because there really isn't any available.

The offense is lower third right now with no pitching. There is a very slim chance of contention with anyone on the current roster except maybe Mancini and potentially Bundy.

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

And a wife whose career is based in DC right now.

So I would expect he would exercise whatever rights he had to nix any trade that isn't to the Nationals.

AJ is also a competitor who wants to win a WS. I could see him approving a trade to the Astros.

Archived