Is Duquette Serious?

Lucky_13

4 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I certainly believe that PA wouldn't allow a veterans-for-prospects trade this year.  Statistically the team is far from being eliminated and coming off a very good five years viewed collectively.  Secondly he is very old and hasn't seen a championship and rebuilding is heading in the wrong direction for him personally.  Thirdly, he doesn't seem to have the ability to let the baseball people make the baseball decisions without oversight.  The consequences of this tendency have been huge as we all know.  I think it may be a vice at this point that he's far too old to give up.

Fourthly and finally, I believe that PA truly feels he has an obligation to field the best team possible each year no "collapsed seasons" as you put it.  This should be greeted with applause and gratitude shouldn't it?  That it doesn't is both perverse and understandable IMO.  In the end, we're not only watching baseball but also a tragedy that PA's Greek ancestors would recognize and applaude even though we overly sophisicated baseball fans can't quite manage the same right now.

I've always preferred Aristophanes over Sophocles.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baseball is an entertainment business. I could make a cheaper better movie using unknowns but I'd have a hard time selling it. If I cast Brad Pitt and Jenifer Lawrence it might be as good but It would sell tickets. That's why PA spend on the likes of CD and Trumbo.

4 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Think about, it I know it's hard, Suppose he had said yes we are selling, a week or so ago when he was first asked that question. What kind of message does that send to his team or the fans? He can't say that even if he's thinking that.

The message to the team, that's a good point, I can't imagine the impact that would have had on Machado and Miley.

Dan says we are going to stillimprove the team.  Everyone goes and says look what Dan said and takes it as the truth.  Dan in off-season said we are going to look to improve obp.   These same people say yeah right Dan like we believe what you say.

5 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

The message to the team, that's a good point, I can't imagine the impact that would have had on Machado and Miley.

I don't think the Orioles are going to sell/rebuild, but you can't blame Duquette for not openly stating it.  Say you want to compete and tow the company line.  Even if you are fielding offers for Manny, Britton, etc.

Just please don't trade what's left of the farm system for non-impact player like Parra or Miley. 

37 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

I sense sarcasm. They may be playing badly but they want to win. If the GM says basically I've given up on them I'm trading whom I can and starting over, do you still think they will play hard?

I admit I'm hoping the O's go on a losing streak or at least play poorly between now and the trading deadline.  If the O's are a couple of games over .500, one of their top prospects will be traded for a marginal 4th or 5th starter.  Do you want it to be Hays, Mountcastle, or Mullins.  Sorry, Stewart and similar players have no trade value.

2 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I admit I'm hoping the O's go on a losing streak or at least play poorly between now and the trading deadline.  If the O's are a couple of games over .500, one of their top prospects will be traded for a marginal 4th or 5th starter.  Do you want it to be Hays, Mountcastle, or Mullins.  Sorry, Stewart and similar players have no trade value.

Funny I'm still hoping the SP turns things around and they go on a 10 G winning streak. 

2 minutes ago, thatbearflies said:

j4ozg0sa_nj2cqt_1cccxqm.png

Friendly suggestion - there are board rules against Russian hackers employed by Putin masquerading as frustrated Orioles fans.  Might want to avoid the politics while you're at it.  

Everyone and their mother knows we should be sellers at the deadline. 

I'm worried that Duquette (approaching the final year of his deal) isn't keeping the O's long term interests as a priority and I worry about ownership too. 

I think I'll just be happy with the team doing nothing at the trade deadline at this point rather than trading its few studs (Hays, Mountcastle, Sisco) for marginal upgrades - or a SP who will likely be a FA in a year or two.  

Just now, ChuckS said:

I think I'll just be happy with the team standing pat at the trade deadline at this point rather than trading it's few studs (Hays, Mountcastle, Sisco) for marginal upgrades - or a SP who will be a FA in a year or two. 

And that's where this gets pretty interesting because does Duquette have that type of discipline to not make any moves? Is the fan pressure of technically being in striking distance of a playoff spot force him into a bad trade? If he does nothing, he is going to be much maligned. If he makes one of his Feldman/Miley caliber trades, he is going to be maligned. 

But, I'm with you. I think about the long term success of the franchise more than I think about being able to say "Hey, we just made the playoffs again!" I would like to see us progress in the playoffs and be more equipped for a deeper run. That might require some sacrifice. It's a scary road pinning all of your hopes on prospects and fingers crossed that you can sign the players you want to be your cornerstones. 

Ultimately, every option is scary if not executed properly. Good information on the Duquette contract, by the way, because I actually was not consciously aware that he was so close to the end of his deal. I really hadn't thought about his tenure much. 

Archived