2017 midseason report card

Frobby

Sunday was the statistical midpoint of the season, so it's time to hand out my midseason report card.     All statistics listed are as of July 2, the 81-game mark.    To break things up, I'll do the hitters and pitchers in separate posts.    All grades are on a curve compared to my expectations for the player going into the season.

Chris Davis, .226/.320/.461, 14 HR, 26 RBI, 0.5 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR -- D.   It's not Davis' worst slash line, but it's far from his best, and his sickly RBI total tells you that his homers have been pretty empty.   He's struck out 95 times in 61 games, and has been caught looking 41 times.  I'd have considered a lower grade, but his defense at 1B has been very good.

Jonathan Schoop, .293/.348/.538, 16 HR, 51 RBI, 1.6 rWAR, 1.9 fWAR -- B+.    Offensively, he deserves an A, but I can't overlook his 10 errors and overall poor defensive metrics this season.    I'm very pleased with his offensive progress this year and hope it will continue, while his defense returns to normal levels.

Manny Machado, .217/.288/.428, 16 HR, 41 RBI, 1.1 rWAR, 1.4 fWAR -- D.    It feels like Manny has forgotten the all-fields offensive approach that made him so successful, and that he's trying to pull everything into the LF seats.    The homers have been there, but the base hits have not.    Almost obscured by his offensive struggles, he's having an excellent defensive season and has a good shot at his third Gold Glove.

J.J. Hardy, .211/.248/.308, 3 HR, 21 RBI, -0.6 rWAR, -0.7 fWAR -- F.    Sorry, J.J., it pains me to give that to you, but you've been terrible.     His defense is solidly average but nowhere near the level it used to be.     His offense is completely unacceptable.    Let's hope that when he comes off the DL, he'll be rejuvenated.    

Trey Mancini, .303/.351/.545, 14 HR, 43 RBI, 1.5 rWAR, 1.3 rWAR -- A.    As I've posted several times, Mancini has exceeded my expectation in just about every way possible.     Better hitter for average than I expected, more power than I expected, better approach at the plate than I expected, faster than I expected, and not an embarrassment when playing the outfield.    He's also been decent at 1B.

Hyun Soo Kim, .234/.308/.290, 1 HR, 8 RBI, -0.3 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR -- D.    He hasn't had a ton of opportunities, but he hasn't taken advantage when he's had them.    He really hasn't looked comfortable at the plate all year.

Adam Jones, .263/.299/.424, 13 HR, 35 RBI, 1.2 rWAR, 0.0 fWAR -- C-.    It feels like each year, Adam declines just a little more offensively.    It's barely perceptible from one year to the next, but over the last five years, it's added up.   His improved defensive metrics (per BB-ref, not fangraphs) are a function of him playing deeper, which is good, but I feel his defensive skills have eroded at about the same rate as his offense.

Seth Smith, .258/.332/.438, 8 HR, 18 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR -- C.    He's been about as I expected, but I'm disappointed he hasn't gotten a bump from playing in OPACY.

Mark Trumbo, .253/.315/.409, 12 HR, 40 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR -- C-.    His BA and OBP are about the same as last year, but the power has been mysteriously down.     I'd grade him lower, but I'm giving him some credit for some high-leverage hits that have kept his RBI total respectable.

Joey Rickard, .252/.287/.378, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, 0.2 fWAR -- C.    About a week ago, I would have given him a lower grade, but he had several good games on offense and defense that pulled him up.    He's not a good player, but he's doing what he can.

Welington Castillo, .272/.307/.439, 8 HR, 25 RBI, 0.6 rWAR, 1.0 fWAR -- C+.    He's having a very typical Castillo season.    What I can't tell is whether he deserves any blame for the pitiful performance of the starting pitchers, so I didn't downgrade him for that.

Caleb Joseph, .294/.324/.441, 3 HR, 14 RBI, 1.3 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR -- A.    He's hitting beyond my wildest expectations, whereas last year he was beyond horrible.     My grade is solely based on his unexpected offensive performance; his defense is steady but not spectacular.

I'm not bothering to grade the various backup infielders or Gentry, who haven't had enough at bats to really judge them.    Let's just call them uninspiring.

Overall, I'd give the position players a D.     The offense is solidly, but not drastically, below expectations, and the defense is also a bit below expectations, though not much.

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Can't wait to see the pitchers report cards. Hope you have something worse than an F planned

Hopefully his F key is made of magnesium alloy. Otherwise he'll need a new one when he's done with the pitching.

Excellent post, I agree with most everything, particularly the Rickard bump. I was ready to be done with him, and still am, but he had a nice little run.

Now for the pitchers.     This is going to be really ugly.

Dylan Bundy, 8-7, 103.0 IP, 4.02 ERA, 2.1 rWAR, 1.0 fWAR -- B.    Started off like a house on fire, but has been inconsistent over the last month or so.     He's almost equaled his innings total from last year, which may be taking a toll.

Kevin Gausman,, 5-7, 93.0 IP, 5.61 ERA, 0.2 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR -- D-.    I can't give everyone an F, right?     I feel like he's righting the ship just a little now, so I nudged him just above fail.

Ubaldo Jimenez, 3-3, 73.0 IP, 6.48 ERA, -0.2 rWAR, -0.2 fWAR -- F.    A few decent games mixed in with a large number of clunkers.    Even considering my low expectations, he has failed them.   But I still have hope for the second half.

Chris Tillman, 1-5, 49.0 IP, 7.90 ERA, -1.2 rWAR, -0.2 fWAR -- F.    There's not choice, is there?    Praying for a miracle recovery here.

Wade Miley, 3-6, 81.1 IP, 4.54 ERA, 0.4 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR -- C.   OK, to get to this grade you have to (1) ignore yesterday's game, which was after the midpoint of the season, (2) ignore the fact that he's been trending towards awful for the last month.     His overall body of work through game 81 warrants a C.

Alec Asher, 2-5, 55.1 IP, 5.53 ERA, -0.1 rWAR, 0.2 fWAR -- C-.    Asher hasn't been stellar, but did we have any expectations at all for the kid coming into this season?    He's warranted being on the team more than a host of other optionable guys.

Brad Brach, 2-1, 36.1 IP, 2.72 ERA, 15/19 saves, 0.6 rWAR, 0.7 fWAR -- C+.    He's been good a lot of the time, but when he's been bad, he's really cost us.    Put it this way: Jim Johnson was nearly run out of town for blowing 8 saves in 59 opportunities.    Brach has blown 4 in 19 opportunities, including a couple in which he had a multiple run lead.    

Darren O'Day, 1-2, 27.1 IP, 4.28 ERA, 0.3 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR -- C.    O'Day's ERA is misleading, as he has been good most of the time and had a couple of bad outings, far apart, that blew up his ERA.     His WHIP is solid and his K/9 very good.    I'd have given him a higher grade, but his lack of durability this season caused me to give him a C.

Mychal Givens, 6-0, 41.0 IP, 2.41 ERA, 1.5 rWAR, 0.2 fWAR -- A.    He's been our most reliable reliever, can pitch any time from the 6th through the 8th, and can go multiple innings when needed.    He's borne up well under a heavy workload.

Richard Bleier, 1-1, 25.2 IP, 2.94 ERA, 0.6 rWAR, 0.1 fWAR -- B+.     I could argue for B here, because his earned run total (5) is half of his runs allowed (10), and I always feel like pitchers bear some responsibility for the unearned runs they allow.   But on the other hand, he's allowed only 2 of 18 inherited runners to score, so he deserves credit for that.  He's certainly done a solid job that has warranted keeping him in the majors most of the time.

Donnie Hart, 1-0, 22.0 IP, 3.27 ERA, 0.0 rWAR, 0.4 fWAR -- C+.    Somehow, it feels like Hart has been worse than his numbers suggest.   He has pitched well since his brief demotion to the minors.

I won't bother with the other pitchers, who had each pitched less than 15 innings in the majors this year.   Let's just say that collectively, it hasn't been pretty.

Overall, the starters get a healthy F, while the bullpen gets a C- in my book.     The stench of the starters is so strong that I give the overall pitching an F, as warranted by their league-worst ERA.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Now for the pitchers.     This is going to be really ugly.

Dylan Bundy, 8-7, 103.0 IP, 4.02 ERA, 2.1 rWAR -- B.    Started off like a house on fire, but has been inconsistent over the last month or so.     He's almost equaled his innings total from last year, which may be taking a toll.

Kevin Gausman,, 5-7, 93.0 IP, 5.61 ERA, 0.2 rWAR -- D-.    I can't give everyone an F, right?     I feel like he's righting the ship just a little now, so I nudged him just above fail.

Ubaldo Jimenez, 3-3, 73.0 IP, 6.48 ERA, -0.2 rWAR -- F.    A few decent games mixed in with a large number of clunkers.    Even considering my low expectations, he has failed them.   But I still have hope for the second half.

Chris Tillman, 1-5, 49.0 IP, 7.90 ERA, -1.2 rWAR -- F.    There's not choice, is there?    Praying for a miracle recovery here.

Wade Miley, 3-6, 81.1 IP, 4.54 ERA, 0.4 rWAR -- C.   OK, to get to this grade you have to (1) ignore yesterday's game, which was after the midpoint of the season, (2) ignore the fact that he's been trending towards awful for the last month.     His overall body of work through game 81 warrants a C.

Alec Asher, 2-5, 55.1 IP, 5.53 ERA, -0.1 rWAR -- C-.    Asher hasn't been stellar, but did we have any expectations at all for the kid coming into this season?    He's warranted being on the team more than a host of other optionable guys.

Brad Brach, 2-1, 36.1 IP, 2.72 ERA, 15/19 saves, 0.6 rWAR -- C+.    He's been good a lot of the time, but when he's been bad, he's really cost us.    Put it this way: Jim Johnson was nearly run out of town for blowing 8 saves in 59 opportunities.    Brach has blown 4 in 19 opportunities, including a couple in which he had a multiple run lead.    

Darren O'Day, 1-2, 27.1 IP, 4.28 ERA, 0.3 rWAR -- C.    O'Day's ERA is misleading, as he has been good most of the time and had a couple of bad outings, far apart, that blew up his ERA.     His WHIP is solid and his K/9 very good.    I'd have given him a higher grade, but his lack of durability this season caused me to give him a C.

Mychal Givens, 6-0, 41.0 IP, 2.41 ERA, 1.5 rWAR -- A.    He's been our most reliable reliever, can pitch any time from the 6th through the 8th, and can go multiple innings when needed.    He's borne up well under a heavy workload.

Richard Bleier, 1-1, 25.2 IP, 2.94 ERA, 0.6 rWAR -- B+.     I could argue for B here, because his earned run total (5) is half of his runs allowed (10), and I always feel like pitchers bear some responsibility for the unearned runs they allow.   But on the other hand, he's allowed only 2 of 18 inherited runners to score, so he deserves credit for that.  He's certainly done a solid job that has warranted keeping him in the majors most of the time.

Donnie Hart, 1-0, 22.0 IP, 3.27 ERA, 0.0 rWAR -- C+.    Somehow, it feels like Hart has been worse than his numbers suggest.   He has pitched well since his brief demotion to the minors.

I won't bother with the other pitchers, who had each pitched less than 15 innings in the majors this year.   Let's just say that collectively, it hasn't been pretty.

Overall, the starters get a healthy F, while the bullpen gets a C- in my book.     The stench of the starters is so strong that I give the overall pitching an F, as warranted by their league-worst ERA.

Super job, for a lawyer, including many references to those B movies you often catch with wifey!  ;-)  Love what you bring and as I have said (I think I did - dang memory), you are one of the bright spots of the "media" that is ruining this country!  (j/k of course)

Great post. Donnie Hart has been really good. I think our view of him this season is skewed because he fell apart at the same time as the rest of the pen. I think he just got overworked and overexposed. 

Trumbo and Jones are what they are. I expect more from Manny and Davis. the rotation is 2000-2011 bad. 

Buck gets an A in my book. This team should be 10 under.  If our rotation could just get to being below average we could win some games. Need Manny to be mad about not being an AS and have a huge 2nd half. 

5 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sunday was the statistical midpoint of the season, so it's time to hand out my midseason report card.     All statistics listed are as of July 2, the 81-game mark.    To break things up, I'll do the hitters and pitchers in separate posts.    All grades are on a curve compared to my expectations for the player going into the season.

Chris Davis, .226/.320/.461, 14 HR, 26 RBI, 0.5 rWAR, 0.8 fWAR -- D.   It's not Davis' worst slash line, but it's far from his best, and his sickly RBI total tells you that his homers have been pretty empty.   He's struck out 95 times in 61 games, and has been caught looking 41 times.  I'd have considered a lower grade, but his defense at 1B has been very good.

Jonathan Schoop, .293/.348/.538, 16 HR, 51 RBI, 1.6 rWAR, 1.9 fWAR -- B+.    Offensively, he deserves an A, but I can't overlook his 10 errors and overall poor defensive metrics this season.    I'm very pleased with his offensive progress this year and hope it will continue, while his defense returns to normal levels.

Manny Machado, .217/.288/.428, 16 HR, 41 RBI, 1.1 rWAR, 1.4 fWAR -- D.    It feels like Manny has forgotten the all-fields offensive approach that made him so successful, and that he's trying to pull everything into the LF seats.    The homers have been there, but the base hits have not.    Almost obscured by his offensive struggles, he's having an excellent defensive season and has a good shot at his third Gold Glove.

J.J. Hardy, .211/.248/.308, 3 HR, 21 RBI, -0.6 rWAR, -0.7 fWAR -- F.    Sorry, J.J., it pains me to give that to you, but you've been terrible.     His defense is solidly average but nowhere near the level it used to be.     His offense is completely unacceptable.    Let's hope that when he comes off the DL, he'll be rejuvenated.    

Trey Mancini, .303/.351/.545, 14 HR, 43 RBI, 1.5 rWAR, 1.3 rWAR -- A.    As I've posted several times, Mancini has exceeded my expectation in just about every way possible.     Better hitter for average than I expected, more power than I expected, better approach at the plate than I expected, faster than I expected, and not an embarrassment when playing the outfield.    He's also been decent at 1B.

Hyun Soo Kim, .234/.308/.290, 1 HR, 8 RBI, -0.3 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR -- D.    He hasn't had a ton of opportunities, but he hasn't taken advantage when he's had them.    He really hasn't looked comfortable at the plate all year.

Adam Jones, .263/.299/.424, 13 HR, 35 RBI, 1.2 rWAR, 0.0 fWAR -- C-.    It feels like each year, Adam declines just a little more offensively.    It's barely perceptible from one year to the next, but over the last five years, it's added up.   His improved defensive metrics (per BB-ref, not fangraphs) are a function of him playing deeper, which is good, but I feel his defensive skills have eroded at about the same rate as his offense.

Seth Smith, .258/.332/.438, 8 HR, 18 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, 0.3 fWAR -- C.    He's been about as I expected, but I'm disappointed he hasn't gotten a bump from playing in OPACY.

Mark Trumbo, .253/.315/.409, 12 HR, 40 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, -0.3 fWAR -- C-.    His BA and OBP are about the same as last year, but the power has been mysteriously down.     I'd grade him lower, but I'm giving him some credit for some high-leverage hits that have kept his RBI total respectable.

Joey Rickard, .252/.287/.378, 3 HR, 11 RBI, 0.3 rWAR, 0.2 fWAR -- C.    About a week ago, I would have given him a lower grade, but he had several good games on offense and defense that pulled him up.    He's not a good player, but he's doing what he can.

Welington Castillo, .272/.307/.439, 8 HR, 25 RBI, 0.6 rWAR, 1.0 fWAR -- C+.    He's having a very typical Castillo season.    What I can't tell is whether he deserves any blame for the pitiful performance of the starting pitchers, so I didn't downgrade him for that.

Caleb Joseph, .294/.324/.441, 3 HR, 14 RBI, 1.3 rWAR, 0.6 fWAR -- A.    He's hitting beyond my wildest expectations, whereas last year he was beyond horrible.     My grade is solely based on his unexpected offensive performance; his defense is steady but not spectacular.

I'm not bothering to grade the various backup infielders or Gentry, who haven't had enough at bats to really judge them.    Let's just call them uninspiring.

Overall, I'd give the position players a D.     The offense is solidly, but not drastically, below expectations, and the defense is also a bit below expectations, though not much.

The sloppy plays on defense have continued all year.Missed cut off throws.Throwing to the wrong base.Throws to first when they have no chance at rhe runner. Not only in blowouts. 

Archived