You're DD and PA says to "buy"

Bahama O's Fan

7 hours ago, bpilktree said:

He is pitching in Safeco.   His home ERA is 2.56 and his road ERA is 5.48.   I am going to bet if he pitches at home at Camden and against the teams in the AL East we see a lot closer to the 5.48 then the 2.56 ERA.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

How much is the difference in defense going to cost him?

Are either of you suggesting that Miley, since his trade here, has outperformed what Miranda would have accomplished as an Oriole during the same time period?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, AZRon said:

Are either of you suggesting that Miley, since his trade here, has outperformed what Miranda would have accomplished as an Oriole during the same time period?

I wasn't.  I just don't think Miranda is going to have much of a career in the majors.

5 hours ago, jtschrei said:

I don't think PGA operates like this. I think he sets the budget. I think he interferes when there is a major free agent signing a la Chris Davis. I don't think PGA says buy or sell in mid-season. 

If we are saying this is a hypothetical and your boss tells you to do something, then you do it unless you are morally compromised. 

The press indicated that the Angelos family had told management that they were interested in acquiring players, not selling them. 

Adding talent presumably means adding salary.  Where has this $ been all this time?  This dire commitment to go all in - where has it been?  Why haven't we invested appropriately in the amateur talent market to have the prospect depth to make adding talent easier?

If PA wants to live to see the next competitive team, then we would best bring that day forward if we were sellers this trade deadline.

Not only do other teams have more to trade, they have better prospects to call up to supplement their major league team.

Perhaps PA is in poor health and this is a last futile effort to see a contender or perhaps ownership is encouraging our front office to take risks and keep plodding forward.  What this organization needs now are realists at the helm.

16 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There is not a three run difference in pitching at Camden Yards vs Safeco. 

I said I would expect his ERA if he was in the American League East to be a lot closer to the 5.5 ERA then the mid 2.5.  His current ERA is 4.15 right now he is closer to the 5.5 ERA even right now in pitching at Safeco.  Miley is pretty much even fly ball to ground ball guy at 1.02 G/F .Miranda on the other hand is an extreme flyball pitcher with a G/F of .53 in the Al West.  You put him in at Camden Yards and then other games at Yankee stadium and Fenway compared to games at the Oakland and LA along with our outfield defense and  that ERA of 4.15 gets much closer to that 5.5

On 7/5/2017 at 9:45 AM, 24fps said:

According to the poll in another thread, 95% of the people who responded are in favor of throwing in the towel this season and I agree.  It hard to generate enthusiam when you don't buy the premise.  My question is where are all the career trolls?  Pretending you support the notion that the O's go all in right now strikes me as a once in a lifetime opportunity for the attention-starved.  

Yeah.. I'm not sure I am an All-In guy. But I would like to know what assets this communit y thinks we have, and who is out there we should target whether that be part of a rebuild or just trying to

17 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

There is not a three run difference in pitching at Camden Yards vs Safeco. 

Yeah... I've been a Dan fan... but the last couple of years he;s made some deals in the name of "contending now" that I would have preferred he not make. Miranda for Miley, Jimenez, Guallardo come to mind. Paying Chris Davis wasn't a plan I favored either. But, unless you have solutions to offer it's difficult to complain.  

If I'm DD and PA tells me to buy, I'd probably walk away from the job. I wouldn't let some crazy, billionaire owner destroy what's left of my reputation instead of destroying his own which is what he had been doing prior to my arrival because he doesn't have the sense to let the GM he hires do the job he was brought in to do and certainly not share the authority with the manager as well. I really think PA hires GM's for no other reason than to shield him from the anger of the public and take the heat for him.

If PA tells DD to buy, DD ends up looking like a moron instead of PA and, of course, Buck gets zero blame and a new pedestal to perch himself on. If I'm DD and PA tells me to buy, I get out of the way and let PA destroy himself and turn it on his head instead of mine especially if I'm hired to be the GM and I can't really do that because of a meddling owner and a manager that has been given too much power over what I do and don't do with the personnel. I'd even be honest about it when asked by the media. Why should I take the fall for the actions of another that I would have never done if left to my own devices?

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I said I would expect his ERA if he was in the American League East to be a lot closer to the 5.5 ERA then the mid 2.5.  His current ERA is 4.15 right now he is closer to the 5.5 ERA even right now in pitching at Safeco.  Miley is pretty much even fly ball to ground ball guy at 1.02 G/F .Miranda on the other hand is an extreme flyball pitcher with a G/F of .53 in the Al West.  You put him in at Camden Yards and then other games at Yankee stadium and Fenway compared to games at the Oakland and LA along with our outfield defense and  that ERA of 4.15 gets much closer to that 5.5

I was always a Miranda fan. I liked him a Bowie quite a bit. 

Archived