Bedard gets a talking to

blueberryale77

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ever seen Bedard standing around talking with fans and signing autographs? Ever heard of anything he's done in the community?

He's participated in FanFest and Fan Appreciation weekends before, including this year's FanFest, which I actually got to attend. He seemed happy enough with the fans, laughing and smiling. And I've seen pictures of him from previous years, posing with fans, signing autographs, etc.

As for community work, some people are quiet about their charity work or he may even be doing stuff at home in Navan. For what it's worth, he did participate in Brian Roberts' Baseball Bash last year. AND, consider the fact that *every* time he records a strikeout, he IS doing charity work since money is being donated to a children's hospital, right? ;) Maybe that's the real reason he continues to be the League leader. Erik Bedard: Saving Children's Lives Every Five Days.

I know a guy that was bat boy when he was at Fredrick that says he was cool as hell. His teammates here seem to like him. He's always chatting when the camera goes in the dugout on days he's not concentrating on pitching. I'm sorry Tony but not signing autographs and not doing things in the community isn't proof someone's a jerk. Star athletes are put in a position most people can't relate too and expectations are put on them that you wouldn't possibly think of putting on an ordinary person. Yeah they make millions of dollars, but giving someone money isn’t going to change their personality and Erik Bedard is a private person that seems to resent the media for one reason or another. It's great that people like Cal Ripken and Jeremy Guthrie go out of their way and sacrifice their time to make sure everyone who wants an autograph gets one, but just because some are saints doesn’t make everyone that doesn’t follow their example a jerk.

I'm not looking for the guy to be a saint. How about a little homage to the people responsible for paying his salary? He doesn't even have to go to the lengths that guys like Brian Roberts, Jeremy Guthrie, Cal Ripken, and the like seem to be inclined. Unfortunately, he chose a profession in which signing autographs, community service, and speaking with the media are expected.

Signing autographs and posing for pictures with kids isn't an invasion of his privacy. Talking for a few minutes about the game isn't an invasion of his privacy. No one is asking him to reveal information about his personal life, just talk for a minute about the game. It's REQUIRED in the NFL and there's no reason it shouldn't be in baseball.

I'm not real clear on the definition of the word 'jerk', but I am clear that Erik Bedard has a real crappy way of talking to and treating people based on stories I've heard, personal observation, and first-hand experience. I have absolutely no sympathy for him or the expectations placed on him. He chose this profession, and if there are facets of it that he doesn't like or causes him to mistreat people, he should reconsider.

I know a guy that was bat boy when he was at Fredrick that says he was cool as hell. His teammates here seem to like him. He's always chatting when the camera goes in the dugout on days he's not concentrating on pitching. I'm sorry Tony but not signing autographs and not doing things in the community isn't proof someone's a jerk. Star athletes are put in a position most people can't relate too and expectations are put on them that you wouldn't possibly think of putting on an ordinary person. Yeah they make millions of dollars, but giving someone money isn’t going to change their personality and Erik Bedard is a private person that seems to resent the media for one reason or another. It's great that people like Cal Ripken and Jeremy Guthrie go out of their way and sacrifice their time to make sure everyone who wants an autograph gets one, but just because some are saints doesn’t make everyone that doesn’t follow their example a jerk.

Well, my mistake. The Frederick batboy said he was a great guy so I must be wrong. :rolleyes:

I didn't say Bedard has been a jerk to everyone he's ever met, and he very well may be a private guy, but his disdain for the press is ridiculous, especially since they've done nothing to deserve his attitude.

I'm not going to comment on whether other players like him or not because I don't know. He might be a great guy to his friends and family. Good for them.

But, in my book the guy is a first class jerk to the media and he's not fan friendly in most occasions.

Like most of you, I root for him to pitch well for the Orioles, but he's up there with one of my least liked players I've covered through the minors to the Orioles. Take it for what it's worth. You certainly have a right to have another opinion of him.

Well, my mistake. The Frederick batboy said he was a great guy so I must be wrong. :rolleyes:

I didn't say Bedard has been a jerk to everyone he's ever met, and he very well may be a private guy, but his disdain for the press is ridiculous, especially since they've done nothing to deserve his attitude.

I'm not going to comment on whether other players like him or not because I don't know. He might be a great guy to his friends and family. Good for them.

But, in my book the guy is a first class jerk to the media and he's not fan friendly in most occasions.

Like most of you, I root for him to pitch well for the Orioles, but he's up there with one of my least liked players I've covered through the minors to the Orioles. Take it for what it's worth. You certainly have a right to have another opinion of him.

Tony, your opinion counts a lot with me. And I seem to recall you recounting an incident from his minor league days where you told him he needed to develop a change-up and he gave you some caustic-type answer. Am I remembering that right?

Even so, I'm very slow to call someone a complete jerk. He's certainly been rude to the media, against his own better interests.

As I said in the other thread: I have no idea whether Bedard is nice to fans who approach him off the field or not. And, I have no idea whether he does community acitvities or not. Every time I see any publicity about O's doing something in the community, it is either Brian Roberts or Melvin Mora. Does that mean 23 guys are doing nothing? Or does it mean they are doing things but they are not publicized? I do not know one way or another.

We've established that Bedard is uncomfortable talking to the press. And I think it is fair to say it has gone a bit beyond that at times -- that he has been downright rude on at least a few occasions. That's bad, and hopefully Trembely's message will get through to him. So far as I know, it's the first time one of his superiors has told him that his treatment of the press is not OK. So let's see how or if his behavior changes in that respect.

However, I will need a lot more information before concluding that the guy is a jerk in general. Are there reports that his teammates don't like him? Are there specific instances where he has been rude to members of the general public? Do the Orioles' community relations people complain that Bedard doesn't do his share? I would need that kind of information, rather than just "have you ever seen him talkng with fans?" Also, I wonder if he had a couple of very bad experiences with the media (as Eddie Murray did) that have caused him to sour permanently on the media.

Please understand -- I'm not saying he isn't a jerk. Just saying I need more information. And not just because he is a great pitcher and I want to rationalize why I should like him. I just believe in giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, and then some.

That's kind of funny, I recall, I think it was in spring training, where an article from the Sun had some quips from Bedard during an interview and the media found them funny. When I read the quotes I wasn't sure if he was trying to be funny or was being a smartass. Seems like it was something to do with hanging out with the other players, I tried to search for it but came up empty, in any event I posted the question was Bedard being an ass or was he joking.... you thought he was indeed joking... looking back from here, perhaps I heard something between the lines that was generally missed....

At first, when I heard this, I thought Trembley was wrong - my reaction (using my own experience) was don't make a point to the media about a player, keep it behind closed doors.

However, the media are really the conduit to the fans -- and part of the job in making the millions is to share your (players) thougths with the fans. I think Trembley wasn't trying to curry favor with the media - but send a message to fans (who are suffering with a silly franchise)

I might be wrong....

That's kind of funny, I recall, I think it was in spring training, where an article from the Sun had some quips from Bedard during an interview and the media found them funny. When I read the quotes I wasn't sure if he was trying to be funny or was being a smartass. Seems like it was something to do with hanging out with the other players, I tried to search for it but came up empty, in any event I posted the question was Bedard being an ass or was he joking.... you thought he was indeed joking... looking back from here, perhaps I heard something between the lines that was generally missed....

I thought the quote was something like --

Q. Does being close as a group help you pitch better?

A. Yes.

Q. How?

A. I don't know, I just said it because I thought it sounded good.

I thought the quote was something like --

Q. Does being close as a group help you pitch better?

A. Yes.

Q. How?

A. I don't know, I just said it because I thought it sounded good.

That sounds about right... good memory on your part... I still think he was just being a smartass....

And I still think its pretty funny.

Ok, when you said

"But, in my book the guy is a first class jerk to the media and he's not fan friendly in most occasions."

I thought you might look at it differently... perhaps not... :)

Archived