Bedard gets a talking to

blueberryale77

I agree, I love Bedard and dont want to see him leave but if he does then you have to trade him. You could get alot in return for him.

As for BJ, the O's wanted to resign him but the Jays offered a ridiculously amount of money that he couldnt refuse.

True, but I think by that point, the O's had already lost BJ's confidence in them. About Bedard, I'd bet that teams would offer even more than they would have for Ryan to acquire him. Dominant, left-handed starting pitchers don't grow on trees. ;)

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
True, but I think by that point, the O's had already lost BJ's confidence in them.

Mike Flanagan is on record as saying, in person, to a group of people on an Orioles website (if not this one, then another one) that Ryan's agent told him BEFORE the whole process began that Ryan was going to go for the pot of gold. (And that was before Ryan had spent a full year as closer.)

I can't believe some of what I'm reading here. Bedard is an employee. Trembley, at least for now, is his boss. Trembley shouldn't have to tell Bedard that he has to talk to the media, but as Bedard's boss, it's his right to do so. In addition, it's not like Erik Bedard is going to be confused with Cy Young - or even Mike Flanagan (the player, not the WTF front office guy) - any time soon. If he gets his feelings hurt, tell him to cash his check, shut his mouth, do what he's told and go pitch.

True, but I think by that point, the O's had already lost BJ's confidence in them. About Bedard, I'd bet that teams would offer even more than they would have for Ryan to acquire him. Dominant, left-handed starting pitchers don't grow on trees. ;)

They wanted BJ and put an offer on the table but he went for the money and signed with the Jays.

The O's were happy with Ray and were confident he could be the closer so they didnt want to offer to much money to BJ.

Mike Flanagan is on record as saying, in person, to a group of people on an Orioles website (if not this one, then another one) that Ryan's agent told him BEFORE the whole process began that Ryan was going to go for the pot of gold. (And that was before Ryan had spent a full year as closer.)
I can vouch for this, I was there when he told us that. I think the exact phrasing was that Ryan made it clear he was "gonna make his run at a pot of gold". There was never a time that BJ would have accepted a 3/$18M deal. Maybe if we offered him something like 3/$24M he would have taken it, but that would have been incredibly irresponsible at the time (remember, BJ had only had one good season at that point and had a history of being very streaky and inconsistent).

Tony-OH you might as well give up. Your comments were truthful and direct about our big ego pitcher. The fan club (here we go again....) thinks he can do no wrong. I agree with you and that's why I think you will see this pitcher traded in the near future......unless he signs a contract extension and hopefully without a no-trade clause or limited trade clause.

Why would someone with manners and any etiquette defend these actions? Does anybody out there teach their children this type of behavior? The future is not bright if we condone his snobbery.

Are there any psychologists out there? What causes this type of behavior? Poor childhood? No parental discipline? Rejections by too many women? I don't know anybody like this nor have I ever met anybody like this. Is it a case he has been put on a pedastal and worshipped since he was a child and feels good when he puts people down? Does he watch the E-network and think he is a movie or TV star and is supposed to dodge the media?

I think some of you may have read my following comments in the Terps Football section last year. About ten years ago a friend of mine asked me to join her for dinner after a Terps football game and also at the table was a well known current Terp assistant coach (no longer there) and a man who works as a scout for the team and about five or six or other people. I was fortunate to sit directly across from the Assistant Coach. We talked about a couple of the new recruits that were on the team and I asked if these young high school kids had big ego's? He looked at me and said Big Ego's in a Mike Ditka type voice? These kids come in with their parents and act like they own the school. They tell us what to do.....or try to tell us what to do! I'm serious....Like rich people that never have a room that's good enough when they check into a first class hotel. It's unbelieveable! Just unbelieveable! I guess I have answered my own question. It starts at home. Either you get it or you don't.

Thanks Tony for telling the apologists the truth...and yes! He pitched a great game...he has a lot of really good games but he still doesn't have a complete game. I seriously doubt he will ever have one as he pitches until he starts to feel tired and then checks out out and leaves early so he doesn't have to talk with reporters. Last night made 100 starts without a complete game. Did Andy MacPhail have anything to do with Trembley's talking to our pitcher and the media about his actions? Maybe one of our writers can ask MacPhail how he feels about players talking to the media after games are over.

Tony-OH you might as well give up. Your comments were truthful and direct about our big ego pitcher. The fan club (here we go again....) thinks he can do no wrong. I agree with you and that's why I think you will see this pitcher traded in the near future......unless he signs a contract extension and hopefully without a no-trade clause or limited trade clause.

Why would someone with manners and any etiquette defend these actions? Does anybody out there teach their children this type of behavior? The future is not bright if we condone his snobbery.

Are there any psychologists out there? What causes this type of behavior? Poor childhood? No parental discipline? Rejections by too many women? I don't know anybody like this nor have I ever met anybody like this. Is it a case he has been put on a pedastal and worshipped since he was a child and feels good when he puts people down? Does he watch the E-network and think he is a movie or TV star and is supposed to dodge the media?

I think some of you may have read my following comments in the Terps Football section last year. About ten years ago a friend of mine asked me to join her for dinner after a Terps football game and also at the table was a well known current Terp assistant coach (no longer there) and a man who works as a scout for the team and about five or six or other people. I was fortunate to sit directly across from the Assistant Coach. We talked about a couple of the new recruits that were on the team and I asked if these young high school kids had big ego's? He looked at me and said Big Ego's in a Mike Ditka type voice? These kids come in with their parents and act like they own the school. They tell us what to do.....or try to tell us what to do! I'm serious....Like rich people that never have a room that's good enough when they check into a first class hotel. It's unbelieveable! Just unbelieveable! I guess I have answered my own question. It starts at home. Either you get it or you don't.

Thanks Tony for telling the apologists the truth...and yes! He pitched a great game...he has a lot of really good games but he still doesn't have a complete game. I seriously doubt he will ever have one as he pitches until he starts to feel tired and then checks out out and leaves early so he doesn't have to talk with reporters. Last night made 100 starts without a complete game. Did Andy MacPhail have anything to do with Trembley's talking to our pitcher and the media about his actions? Maybe one of our writers can ask MacPhail how he feels about players talking to the media after games are over.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Erik does after his starts. You are making Erik to be like Kenny Rogers with the media. Some people DO NOT want to be famous. Some poeple DO NOT feel comfortable infront of cameras. If Erik doesn't want to talk to the media, he shouldn't have too. If there is something in his contract that says he has to talk to the media, well, I hope he says the most off-topic comments unitil he reaches his quota.

He is paid to be a pitcher, not a salesman.

Complete games would be nice, but he doesn't need to go 9 innings to be a great pitcher. He's already easily one of the top 30 or so pitchers in the game. Just because he hasn't gone a complete game doesn't change that.

Any criticisms of Bedard's on-field performance is essentially complete BS at this point. Theres absolutely nothing more that he needs to do on the field, he's already a great pitcher. Any improvements from this point on are just icing on the cake.

Criticize him for not talking to the press. That's fine. It'd be nice if he was more open and approachable, but it doesn't make him any less of an AS caliber pitcher if he's not.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what Erik does after his starts. You are making Erik to be like Kenny Rogers with the media. Some people DO NOT want to be famous. Some poeple DO NOT feel comfortable infront of cameras. If Erik doesn't want to talk to the media, he shouldn't have too. If there is something in his contract that says he has to talk to the media, well, I hope he says the most off-topic comments unitil he reaches his quota.

He is paid to be a pitcher, not a salesman.

He is supposed to talk to the media, so not making himself available is deserving of criticism. He's gonna need to figure out how to be a bit more open with the press, even if its just an act. Suck it up for 20 minutes and grin for the cameras.

He is supposed to talk to the media, so not making himself available is deserving of criticism. He's gonna need to figure out how to be a bit more open with the press, even if its just an act. Suck it up for 20 minutes and grin for the cameras.

Doesn't Bedard have a little girl? Maybe he wants to go home a see her instead of asking questions like " How did it feel winning against Roger Clemens".

I'm not condoning it, but as I stated in another thread earlier this year...Bedards from a small town in Canada...it's a different breed of people up there. Echoing TyCobb, he just might not feel comfortable in front of the camera, cornered by his locker with a bunch of tape recorders shoved in his face.

Lately with the Tejada bashing and now the whining about Bedard not talking to the press, I seriously wonder where fans get this sense of entitlement that these ballplayers should be everything they want them to be.

Bedard, Tejada and a bunch of the others are humans, just like you, just like me and not any single one of us or them gets it right 100% of the time. Everyone has their faults...so what if Bedard isn't what you want him to be? So what if he isn't a super nice guy? So what if he doesn't sign autographs?

Hey, I don't like it either, I'm not trying to condone it. I'm as big of a Cal fan as anyone else and he did everything right. But I clearly remember times in the late 80's and early 90's where he didn't seem like the most friendly guy around...times where he ignored kids hollering for autographs(cause I was one of them)....so no one gets it right.

Like I said, I don't understand why we sometimes feel that these ballplayers have to live up to these preconceived notions of what fans think they should be.

Erik had a very nice conversation with Buck and Gary when the team was coming up on interleague games...I believe they were in Minnesota. They had him on the headset mid-game right after a good start of his, and he seemed to be a chill guy.

He did seem a bit uncomfortable in the interview, as he was kinda looking side to side the whole time, but I loved it when they asked him who the best hitter was on the staff, and he responded with "Well, if Loewen was still here, I'd probably say him." "Well, who then now?" "Eh, probably me." *big laugh from all three and an ear-to-ear grin on Bedard's face*.

Then he went out and got two hits in his first interleague start this year. ;)

EDIT: I don't think it was Minnesota actually, anyone else remember the interview?

Good comments! I would still like to know if Andy MacPhail had anything to do with Trembley telling Bedard to start talking to the media after games. I bet he did say something about it.

Fresh start..new approach with MacPhail and our new manager....fielding practice before games...it's all good. Let's accept it and move on....I think better days are ahead of us. Can you remember the last time we've had this much media coverage of the Orioles in the Sunpaper in late June? Three front page stories today. The way it should be.

I think Trembley is the guy for this job and I like the way he talks to the media. Tough guy......Mr Positive? Come on Erik he grabbed you by your shoulders last night to congratulate you. He means business....follow orders and everything will be fine.

Some people DO NOT want to be famous. Some poeple DO NOT feel comfortable infront of cameras.

If he doesn't want to be famous, why did he choose a profession in which every act he does as a professional is broadcast on television, potentially nationwide? Why does he choose to perform in front of tens of thousands of people every time he goes to work? He didn't know that kids buy baseball cards, caps, jerseys, and idolize their favorite players, hanging their picture on the wall?

He doesn't feel comfortable in front of cameras? Who does, the first time they do anything outside their comfort zone.

That's part of what the minor leagues are for--to get used to the environment. He's been part of the major league environment for about five years now. That's plenty of time to get used to it.

It's obviously a pschological problem. If he has the discipline to turn himself into one of the top people in his profession in the world, he should have the discipline to handle this, too.

As I said before, he really seems to enjoy stiffing the media. He can joke around with Martinez, but Martinez is a baseball guy.

If he doesn't want to be famous, why did he choose a profession in which every act he does as a professional is broadcast on television, potentially nationwide? Why does he choose to perform in front of tens of thousands of people every time he goes to work? He didn't know that kids buy baseball cards, caps, jerseys, and idolize their favorite players, hanging their picture on the wall?

He doesn't feel comfortable in front of cameras? Who does, the first time they do anything outside their comfort zone.

That's part of what the minor leagues are for--to get used to the environment. He's been part of the major league environment for about five years now. That's plenty of time to get used to it.

It's obviously a pschological problem. If he has the discipline to turn himself into one of the top people in his profession in the world, he should have the discipline to handle this, too.

As I said before, he really seems to enjoy stiffing the media. He can joke around with Martinez, but Martinez is a baseball guy.

A pschological problem? Ever listen to Bob Dylan talk to the media?

Minor League baseball is a big difference from Major League Baseball.

Huge difference from doing something your the best in the world at than talking about it infront of cameras.

Archived