Giavotella Recalled

Lucky_13

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No, he played there for an inning last night.  

Doesn't mean he won't get an extended look there for a few games.  

We don't have a lot to lose by going with a 3B Machado-SS Schoop-2B Giovatella arrangement at this point.  It will certainly be better offensively and Schoop's ability to play on the left side of the infield could be important in another year or two with Manny gone.  

Does Schoop have more range at SS than Hardy at this point?

Schoop is so bulky and seemingly inflexible...I can't imagine this working.  

But at this point, who cares.  Might as well see if he could fill there for Hardy next season.

The days of people saying that Janish is a good glove at SS is over.  He's going to catch the ball right at him but nothing else.  Below average arm.  

Tejeda should get to more balls than he does.  Looks like he doesn't get good reads off the bat.  Weak arm.  

Schoop is a MLB'r.  He's got a cannon and soft hands.  Plus he's got good baseball instincts.  It's worth a try.  

2 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

Does Schoop have more range at SS than Hardy at this point?

Schoop is so bulky and seemingly inflexible...I can't imagine this working.  

But at this point, who cares.  Might as well see if he could fill there for Hardy next season.

He is certainly faster than Hardy.  I'm not sure whether that translates into more range in the IF.  I would expect Schoop to be below average, but passable at SS.  Similar to what he is at 2B.  He has more than enough arm for the position. 

3 hours ago, ChuckS said:

Doesn't mean he won't get an extended look there for a few games.  

We don't have a lot to lose by going with a 3B Machado-SS Schoop-2B Giovatella arrangement at this point.  It will certainly be better offensively and Schoop's ability to play on the left side of the infield could be important in another year or two with Manny gone.  

So much for Buck being a big proponent of great defense. So you have a mediocre outfield defense. Giavotella is an average second baseman at best with a weak arm. Schoop does not have great range. We shall see if Buck tries this defense.

Seems like the O's must be seriously considering that the drop-off in SS defense if they moved Schoop there might be offset by the offensive boost that Giavotella would provide...at least in late innings or specific games or situations. Otherwise it seems like a weird move. 

Buck has an offense that is not scoring.   And it hasn't for quite a while now.   He is in desperation mode.   Hardy range is still per good.  I would expect Schoop to be less at SS.   And Giavotella's range is probably less than Schoop's at 2B.     

Giavotella is a journeyman stopgap; I doubt the O's would seriously experiment with Schoop to SS just for the sake of Giavotella.  

If they seriously experiment with Schoop at SS, they would be doing it with a mind towards switching Ryan Mountcastle or maybe even Chance Sisco to 2B.  

19 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Why is Gio on the roster?  Could this be Buck and DD differing?  Buck is playing Tejada and Janish at SS, maybe DD wants to mix it up. Don't know why we need all three.  

Possible Krod situation??????

DFA'ed Janish. Gio has been hitting the ball extremely well in Norfolk (a whole lot better than Washington was when he got called up).

After Buck called out Tejada the other day in Milwaukee for hit bad hitting, this was the next step.

If the Orioles are doing this to see if Schoop can be a viable SS, in preparation for next year, then I can see the reasoning behind it. I don't think it'll work -- Schoop probably doesn't have the range for SS -- but maybe it's worth a try since the O's will need a SS.

But if the Orioles are doing this solely to get Giavotella into the lineup instead of Tejada, it makes no sense. In their careers, Tejada is just as good a hitter if not better than him. Giavotella has a bit better SLG, but Tejada has the better OBP. And Tejada is two years younger.

Archived