Is it time for Weiters to go to Bowie?

IrishOriole

I thought that throw last night and the one the night before that were his two best throw-outs of the season. The one two nights ago, Abreu had to haul you-know-what to get to second, and last night the guy was out by like 3-4 steps.

While his three hits weren't hit all that hard, he still found a way to get on base. BTW, trying to go to second on that play last night looked really bad from my vantage point in the pressbox. Just one of many bad decisions by the entire team that ultimately cost them that game.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Weiters got off to hot start in his first year of pro ball. We can all agree on that. This is his first season and coaches and pitchers were unable to prepare for him. By now the Keys have started to see teams for the second or even third time. Pitchers have faced Weiters and coaches have had time to study him on film. The players working camera's stand out like thorns in a rose bush during games. I'm sure opposing coaches have looked for ever hole in his swing, ever tendency to chase a certain looking pitch. Now when Weiters comes to the plate a pitcher knows how to pitch to him. This could explain his recent slump.

The bottom line is pitchers have adjusted to Weiters, but Weiters has not adjusted to the pitchers. If he continues to slump the Orioles would be wise to leave him in High A until he figures out how to adjust to pitchers. If he never learns to adjust and the Orioles just keep promoting him hoping he'll learn along the way, then he won't be the future All-Star we all praise, but the bust will talk about every year.

The Orioles aren't going to make a run at the playoffs until 2010. The Orioles have a chance to have a nucleus of young players play together in the minors and rise up to the majors together. Think early 1990's Yankees, only this time it will be the Orioles and we can enjoy the playoffs and World Series for years to come. We'll have a strong rotation, solid infielder potential and solid outfielders with a group of veterans like Jones, Markakis, Alberts and Ray to mentor the younger players.

One important role a catcher plays is they must be able to handle the pitchers. There is no point having Weiters catch a bunch of pro veterans while he waits for the future rotation to make it through the minor leagues. Although Weiters may go up a couple of months before the pitchers, I don't see any reason he needs to beat them to the Orioles by a whole season.

Totally off on this one. He's being pitched around like he's Babe Ruth and is still hitting the crap out of the ball.

Archived