Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Lucky_13 said:

Are they really going to pay Wieters 10 million to be the back up?

You would think teams would be smarter than to fall for sunk cost fallacy.  They have to pay him the same amount whether he's starting, sitting, or chilling by the pool.  

2 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Well I do agree with you that the national media likes to rib the O's.

However, to compare the Orioles trying to compete this year with the Royals trying to compete this year is a huge stretch.  The two teams are in very different circumstances this year.

Orioles - 7.5 games back in division with 3 teams to pass, 5.5 games back in WC with 6 teams to pass. -76 run differential, 2.7% playoff odds (Fangraphs)

Royals - 3 games back in division with 1 team to pass, In the second WC spot, -2 run differential, 55.7% playoff odds (Fangraphs)

SO it's like saying you should be willing to bet as much on a 1 in 40 chance to win a prize as you would is you had a 11 in 20 chance at the same prize.

Both the Royals and the Orioles are likely to be screwed if they don't rebuild, but at least the Royals have a reasonable shot at competing.

True, if we're comparing us to them for just this year.

I'm just surprised the Royals dire situation beyond this year doesn't get more criticism (because I feel like it gets mentioned with us, even though we have guys under contract for next year) and in fact it's usually mentioned positively like "they are going to make one more run with this core of players, hang on for the ride!" Meanwhile, their farms stinks and their future beyond this year is pretty bleak. But you don't really hear any blame get thrown around that they are in this position.

Perhaps they get more grace because they actually won a World Series (almost 2). 

1 hour ago, Tx Oriole said:

The Hellickson trade was rather silly to me. 

Andy McPhail and Dan Duquette are both pretty slow movers when it comes to trades hence this trade probably was hatched at the All-Star Break an took this long to announce.  Just my thinking, no facts.

7 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Andy McPhail and Dan Duquette are both pretty slow movers when it comes to trades hence this trade probably was hatched at the All-Star Break an took this long to announce.  Just my thinking, no facts.

Personally , I think somebody is going to cave and pay for Britton. I've always thought it would be the Dodgers. I wouldn't be surprised if it were the Astros.

As for other players I would not mind seeing us ship Castillo and Brach to the Nats

The Orioles are listing Ubaldo Jiménez, Dylan Bundy and TBD as starters for their series against the Royals that begins on Monday at Camden Yards. Hellickson could take the last spot if he isn’t flipped to another team.

May as well contribute to the rumors and speculation.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/07/orioles-bring-back-gentry-plus-lineups.html

I don't think Roch would throw this out just to stir the pot.  Will Hellickson ever appear as an Oriole?  Could he be packaged to a team like the Dodgers looking for a starter down the stretch along with a Brach or Britton? I guess we will know by 4:00 tomorrow.  

1 hour ago, Grt 2BA FL Gator said:

True, if we're comparing us to them for just this year.

I'm just surprised the Royals dire situation beyond this year doesn't get more criticism (because I feel like it gets mentioned with us, even though we have guys under contract for next year) and in fact it's usually mentioned positively like "they are going to make one more run with this core of players, hang on for the ride!" Meanwhile, their farms stinks and their future beyond this year is pretty bleak. But you don't really hear any blame get thrown around that they are in this position.

Perhaps they get more grace because they actually won a World Series (almost 2). 

Im a bit surprised the Wade Davis trade doesnt get more play around here. The return on that trade was disproportionately low when compared to Chapman, even when you account for the talent difference. Either the Royals got ripped off, or the Yankees ripped the Cubs off. 

Archived