Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine the reaction on this place if the Orioles were the best team in the AL and needed a shut-down closer and were in hot negotiations at the deadline for one of the best in the business and suddenly, an hour before the deadline, it was announced that the Orioles just traded for Liriano? 

Just now, FlipTheBird said:

Can't hurt, and we all know the O's weren't planning on using the pool money. I am always entertained when we trade it for players who were signed overseas, though.

I guess it's a way to let someone else take the initial risk. I guess. Haha. 

Just now, Number5 said:

Can you imagine the reaction on this place if the Orioles were the best team in the AL and needed a shut-down closer and were in hot negotiations at the deadline for one of the best in the business and suddenly, an hour before the deadline, it was announced that the Orioles just traded for Liriano? 

I have to admit...while I'd be unhappy...it wouldn't surprise me!

Just now, Number5 said:

Can you imagine the reaction on this place if the Orioles were the best team in the AL and needed a shut-down closer and were in hot negotiations at the deadline for one of the best in the business and suddenly, an hour before the deadline, it was announced that the Orioles just traded for Liriano

And gave up a good prospect to get him.

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Isn't this the 2nd time we've given the Yankees int'l slots?  Allowing them to sign more players hurts us.  Don't they see that long term.  

I don't know the answer, so genuinely asking - how many  players do you think they can sign with the $ we gave me, and did we give them enough $ for a good player? 

20 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The fact the Peter Angelos still has to be involved in deadline deals tells us everything we need to know about how and why things that come to deadlines rarely work out well for the Orioles. 

I'm maybe renting, but certainly not buying, this from Rosenthal.  If no deal is done once again it's Angelos the villain in Rosenthal's next piece.  How would Peter know, in advance, what a "big haul" is in order to give thumbs up/down?  Plus, and I could very well be wrong, I don't think Peter is as hands-on as in years past.

Archived