Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Corolla35 said:

https://nolanwritin.com/2017/07/09/texas-rangers-team-takes-game-two-series-angels/

"If the Rangers still believe they can grab a Wildcard spot then moving Profar for bullpen help must happen."

I would do Brach for Profar.  Kind of reminds me of Koji for Chris Davis.  But like that trade, I would want a young pitcher in the return as well.

For me Profar would be the second player in the deal.

I'd ask for 

Joe Palumbo (Good numbers, but only in A Ball) & Profar & Speas/Ragans  *** None of these players are a top 100 player and I think Brach should get you at least one player.

If I couldnt get that I would probably look elsewhere.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=palumb000jos

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=speas-000ale

https://www.baseball-reference.com/register/player.fcgi?id=ragans000col

The only top player that made the midseaon

11 hours ago, Tryptamine said:

I know it's popular to just assume that Kyle sucks in the OF and it has been since the 2015 NLCS where people decided based on 4 games that he sucks, but he's not near as bad as people like to make it out to be. Of all players who have had at least 150PAs while playing LF he is ranked 16th defensively of 38 qualifiers. Brett Gardner is 15th for example.

What about the possibility of moving Schwarber back to Catcher?  He's a year removed from his surgery and I think he'd be just fine behind the plate.  I certainly don't want to block Sisco but man...I've just always been enamored with Schwarber.  Despite this down year he's having, I think he still has an All Star career ahead of him.

1 hour ago, FlipTheBird said:

This is patently incorrect.

Does trading Machado right now net you the most value? Of course. But to say he'll have little value this offseason - with the entirety of 2018 ahead of him - and NO value next July... is just wrong.

There's risk, but you could argue that with improved numbers the rest of the season, higher potential demand with more teams in the market, and more players available from rosters, that this offseason might bring an equal or better return.

42 minutes ago, millertime said:

What about the possibility of moving Schwarber back to Catcher?  He's a year removed from his surgery and I think he'd be just fine behind the plate.  I certainly don't want to block Sisco but man...I've just always been enamored with Schwarber.  Despite this down year he's having, I think he still has an All Star career ahead of him.

If you were to move Smith and Trumbo, what about Schwarber as DH?

44 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Would offer more versatility than Gio as Util guy, but I think I heard Flaherty is two weeks away from being back up here.  

He cant replace Flaherty since he can't play SS. He's young enough and his offensive number look good in the minors. He hasnt had the same success in the majors and his power declined each year from 14, 9, 2 & 3. Some of that is playing time but it can't all be. I suppose you could add him if you have a deal ready for Seth Smith.

32 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

If you were to move Smith and Trumbo, what about Schwarber as DH?

Do we really want to go out of our way to acquire a 24-year-old DH? Especially since we already have a 25-year-old that's really best suited at... DH. 

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

Everyone needs to go ahead and accept that Manny Machado is not being traded this season. Maybe in the offseason. Maybe next year. It is not, under any circumstances, happening before July 31, 2017.

I think that's right.

Here's what I don't get. No matter what direction it's going in, this team needs to improve drastically its starting pitching in order to make progress. It appears that the only tradeable asset we've got who might bring back likely productive starters -- as opposed to lottery-ticket-type prospects - is Britton.

Yet there's a lot of talk on this board about trading Britton for the best available prospects, even if they're position players. If we do that, who's going to pitch? I guess Ubaldo and Bartolo Colon will be available.

It seems to me that Britton has to bring back something that is likely (sure, they all break, or many of them do) to improve our rotation by next year, or 2019 at the latest -- unless the Britton trade is part of a larger rebuilding plan to which the team is committed, and I doubt that's the case. 

4 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I am just curious to the FO decision on that one...  He will have little value if they wait to the offseason and almost no value at next years deadline.  Trading him now would make the most sense if they are going to trade him.

I agree with you. Not trading him has Mr. Angelos fingerprints all over it. The idea that he'd dole out 300 million for Manny is not going to happen. IMO 

2 hours ago, millertime said:

Schwarber is a really interesting player. His bats is extremely quick and he has tons of power. But his year-long slump makes me scared to center a trade around him. 

I am pissed how the Yankees can get 3 quality players without giving up much where as they want the O's franchise for a trade.  I just don't understand why?  It does affect the O's, because that just pushes the O's that much less of a chance to being contenders going forward.  How am I supposed to understand this is fair?  

Archived