Deadline Deal Orioles Mega-Thread

weams

Just now, Hallas said:

I agree, I like the deal, I just think Myers is a bit more than a warm body.  He has actual potential, even if it's at least 3 years out.

You aren't going to get a legit mlb piece with team control for 3+ yrs for anything less than what we just gave imo. I also liked Myers, but this is a nice deal.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ISU94 said:

Not ideal, but he's a young guy with a lot of control who has shown the upside of being an everyday type at SS. For one decent minor league pitcher (watch Myers do well and the fanbase blast the team for it) that is a very nice deal. 3+ yrs of control.

Honestly, looking at the FA class of SS for 2018, I like this deal. 

1 minute ago, tntoriole said:

If he actually outperforms Tejada's performance thus far, offensively or defensively, I will be surprised. 

He's already outperforming Tejada...he can hit for a bit of power and is on par with Tejada defensively 

4 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

I'm not sure why TBR made this deal.

They surely know how to evaluate young talent. So, They probably saw something more than the slugs from this orgaization saw when it comes from player development. 

Beckham is a solid if unspectacular move. I would have liked to have traded Britton or Brach, but only for an elite prospect. If that wasn't being offered, Duquette did the right thing to hold onto them. It's possible we could revisit a trade in the winter. 

To me, the fact that ownership did not give the go-ahead to trade Machado suggests that they still want to try to win in 2018. If that's the case, Beckham is a good pickup. 

1 minute ago, McLovin said:

Fun facts about Tim Beckham:

He's been suspended twice for a drug of abuse.

He has been demoted for not hustling.

He lost his SS job when the Rays traded for Adeiny Hechavarria. Hechavarria is only backing up until Duffy is back. 

So the Rays backup-backup SS is our SS of the future?

Word is they added him to the 40 man so he wouldn't be subjected to further testing.

1 minute ago, Hallas said:

My bad, thought he was at Delmarva.  Edited to correct.  My point still stands, given that he's 3.5 years younger than his competition.

Myers is a promising young pitcher, and Tampa is very good at developing young pitchers.   It won't shock me at all when he's a rookie of the year candidate in 2022.    Hopefully, we'll get 3 good years out of Beckham.    I feel like there's untapped potential there, and maybe we can squeeze it out of him.    At a minimum, it answers the question of who plays SS for us in 2018.

Archived