Talk about mixed messages....

Frobby

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Really though? I know that's the narrative but Duquette has made some good trades

Trade losses: 

Davies for Parra

Miranda for Miley 

Arrieta/Strop for Feldman 

Hader for Norris (I guess, but Norris was a big part of the rotation in 2014 but Hader would be nice to have right now)

Trade Wins 

Guthrie for Hammel and Lindstrom 

Lindstrom for  Saunders 

Rodriguez for Miller (I'd make that trade in an instant)  

Clevinger for Trumbo 

Gallardo for Smith 

To be fair Duquette has never been in a position of advantage with trades at the deadline. We have always been desperate for starting pitching and teams take advantage of that. If you are a buyer you have to pay the price of the market.  Now if we sell and Duquette completely botches it then I agree with you. 

Really. We get absolutely annihilated. I think the Ed Rod deal was among the worst, that was abysmal imo. The Hader trade was absolutely atrocious. Brault wasn't so good. Bridwell for cash wasn't the best. These led to giving away firsts for expensive trash. Keeping Cruz would have been better than dealing for Trumbo but that's a good deal. Arrieta deal is beyond awful. All of our problems come from Duq moves and nothing good. Those "wins" are just about meaningless while the losses are crippling. Imo. 

He helped Boston for a decade to get 3 months of a guy who may throw how many innings? The bullpen wasn't a problem. Ed Rod would easily be our best starter right now. 

No one wishes they could trade back with us, we would take 5-6 deals back in an instant. He's traded away a young cheap 6 man rotation that may be better than the one we've got right now. He's done it while, somehow, giving away two firsts. Joe Saunders is his big win. Strop is better than anyone we got in any deal but the Trumbo deal. 

Castro I like.a lot, liked that one the day it was made. Liked Trumbo. But then signing him to block the one guy we had who was ready to hit and play the same spot from the same side of the plate. He's an imbecile.

24 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

Really though? I know that's the narrative but Duquette has made some good trades

Trade losses: 

Davies for Parra

Miranda for Miley 

Arrieta/Strop for Feldman 

Hader for Norris (I guess, but Norris was a big part of the rotation in 2014 but Hader would be nice to have right now)

Trade Wins 

Guthrie for Hammel and Lindstrom 

Lindstrom for  Saunders 

Rodriguez for Miller (I'd make that trade in an instant)  

Clevinger for Trumbo 

Gallardo for Smith 

To be fair Duquette has never been in a position of advantage with trades at the deadline. We have always been desperate for starting pitching and teams take advantage of that. If you are a buyer you have to pay the price of the market.  Now if we sell and Duquette completely botches it then I agree with you. 

Good points.  Another beef is that DD has given away comp picks and forfeited picks to sign FA's.  Obviously he would have just liked to have been able to just eat Webb's, Matusz's contracts and not have to attach a pick to them to shed their salary.  The biggest mistake was giving up a first round pick for Gallardo.  Ubaldo only cost us our 2nd rd pick, Cruz had already cost us the first.  

2 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

What I learned in the past 3 games is that the Rangers are a really bad team. They should be sellers

Yeah, I was thinking of starting a thread called "Drubbed by the Cubs, But a Danger for the Rangers."  They've looked pretty awful.   

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Good points.  Another beef is that DD has given away comp picks and forfeited picks to sign FA's.  Obviously he would have just liked to have been able to just eat Webb's, Matusz's contracts and not have to attach a pick to them to shed their salary.  The biggest mistake was giving up a first round pick for Gallardo.  Ubaldo only cost us our 2nd rd pick, Cruz had already cost us the first.  

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/67873704/orioles-agree-to-four-year-deal-with-ubaldo-jimenez/

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/68128112/orioles-nelson-cruz-agree-to-one-year-8-million-contract/

The 17th does still come before the 22nd right?

2 minutes ago, Cumberbundy said:

Really. We get absolutely annihilated. I think the Ed Rod deal was among the worst, that was abysmal imo. The Hader trade was absolutely atrocious. Brault wasn't so good. Bridwell for cash wasn't the best. These led to giving away firsts for expensive trash. Keeping Cruz would have been better than dealing for Trumbo but that's a good deal. Arrieta deal is beyond awful. All of our problems come from Duq moves and nothing good. Those "wins" are just about meaningless while the losses are crippling. Imo. 

He helped Boston for a decade to get 3 months of a guy who may throw how many innings? The bullpen wasn't a problem. Ed Rod would easily be our best starter right now. 

No one wishes they could trade back with us, we would take 5-6 deals back in an instant. He's traded away a young cheap 6 man rotation that may be better than the one we've got right now. He's done it while, somehow, giving away two firsts. Joe Saunders is his big win. Strop is better than anyone we got in any deal but the Trumbo deal. 

Castro I like.a lot, liked that one the day it was made. Liked Trumbo. But then signing him to block the one guy we had who was ready to hit and play the same spot from the same side of the plate. He's an imbecile.

I'm not saying Duquette hasn't hurt the organization. He has. I would never give away draft picks the way he does. But I think his hands are tied with financial restrictions where he is forced to take risks. Do you really think signing Gallardo and forfeiting a pick was his first choice?

Ed Rod has injured knees and has largely had mixed results so far. Miller was a go for it move and you pay alot to make those. And the Arrieta deal only looks bad in hindsight. But at the time I think it was a good move. He gave up two guys who were losing the team games for rotation help. Personally, I think Buck gave up on Arrieta. It's easy to complain about deals from four years ago after seeing the future but at the time no one knew Arrieta was going to do that. 

At the end of the day, I'm not a huge Duquette fan either but he puts together teams that win while working for Peter Angelos. Something his holiness Andy MacPhail couldn't even do. . 

Just now, Lucky_13 said:

I'm not saying Duquette hasn't hurt the organization. He has. I would never give away draft picks the way he does. But I think his hands are tied with financial restrictions where he is forced to take risks. Do you really think signing Gallardo and forfeiting a pick was his first choice?

Ed Rod has injured knees and has largely had mixed results so far. Miller was a go for it move and you pay alot to make those. And the Arrieta deal only looks bad in hindsight. But at the time I think it was a good move. He gave up two guys who were losing the team games for rotation help. Personally, I think Buck gave up on Arrieta. It's easy to complain about deals from four years ago after seeing the future but at the time no one knew Arrieta was going to do that. 

At the end of the day, I'm not a huge Duquette fan either but he puts together teams that win while working for Peter Angelos. Something his holiness Andy MacPhail couldn't even do. . 

Remember, Dan's first choice was forfeiting a first round pick to sign Gallardo for three years.

Talk about your mixed message games....On the one hand, we had an exciting come from behind win and gained ground on a couple of teams in the standings.    On the other hand, Miley's performance was exactly the kind that has gotten us to our sub-.500 record in the first place.    My brain in still in sell mode, but my heart is hoping for a 10-game winning streak.

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Talk about your mixed message games....On the one hand, we had an exciting come from behind win and gained ground on a couple of teams in the standings.    On the other hand, Miley's performance was exactly the kind that has gotten us to our sub-.500 record in the first place.    My brain in still in sell mode, but my heart is hoping for a 10-game winning streak.

Could not put it better.

Archived