Zach Cozart-free agent target

OriolesMagic83

It seems less and less likely that Manny will resign with the O's.  I don't like the free agent 3B available if Manny is traded, so I decided to look into free agent SS available.  Zach Cozart looks like the premiere free agent SS available.  Almost all the big spenders in MLB have a star or at least solid regular at SS.  The Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, Angels, and Blue Jays all have the position covered.  It looks like it could be a perfect storm to grab a All-Star player at a discount.  I know that he is 32, but he'll be the same age after 4 years as Manny will be after 10 years (which many posters have described as contract needed to sign Manny).  He won't be able to maintain this career year pace going forward, but even if he maintains an .800 OPS, his defense makes him a valuable addition.  He is the 7th most valuable defensive player since 2012 right behind Manny.  If the O's could sign him for 4 years & 18-20 mill, he could be a steal.

This guy struggled to hit his way out of a wet paper bag his whole career prior to 2017.  Now at 32 he finally gets it?

I suppose it's possible and I know not unheard of.  But I doubt it's more than a mirage.

4 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Duda and Bruce both free agents. Trumbo a decent 2 year replacement at reasonable price.

But it's not a decent price.  He's 31 and might be putting up a 1 win season.  Why would you want to pay him 2/22 (that's assuming the O's pay the 4.5M he has in deferred money) for his age 32-33 seasons?

7 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

But it's not a decent price.  He's 31 and might be putting up a 1 win season.  Why would you want to pay him 2/22 (that's assuming the O's pay the 4.5M he has in deferred money) for his age 32-33 seasons?

Wow you guys act like Cozart has been terrible before this season. He's been a 2 war player every year except 2013 (1.8). 

Id take him on a 2-3 year contract with no problem at about 7 per season.

1 minute ago, Roll Tide said:

Wow you guys act like Cozart has been terrible before this season. He's been a 2 war player every year except 2013 (1.8). 

Huh?

I was talking about Trumbo.

I couldn't get past the idea that the Mets would want Trumbo to even think about Cozart.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Huh?

I was talking about Trumbo.

I couldn't get past the idea that the Mets would want Trumbo to even think about Cozart.

Guess you took me personally....reading the replies most here wouldn't be crazy about signing Cozart. I'd be happy with his 2 War production before this season. As mention I'd see if I could get him at 7-8 million over 2-3 years.

Just now, Roll Tide said:

Guess you took me personally....reading the replies most here wouldn't be crazy about signing Cozart. I'd be happy with his 2 War production before this season. As mention I'd see if I could get him at 7-8 million over 2-3 years.

Well you quoted me talking about Trumbo...

No big deal tho. 

I'd rather go young than older.

5 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Hardy was a 3+ WAR player each of 4 years before being re-signed prior to his age 32 season. Then he slipped to 0.0 WAR. 

Archived