3rd Round Pick - 2B Jerome Hoes - HS

Sorry, meant draft-and-follow.

There's a draft-and-follow deadline? Maybe I'm not using that term right either lol. I just mean that he will likely attend Clemson but our connection with him to Albany now and us drafting him in the first place just provides communication between the two and if, say, he's in the 5th round range after his junior year at Clemson, I think he'd be extremely likely to sign with us if we pick him. It's just establishing a connection. Now remind me, what does actual draft-and-follow mean?

I'm not sure why Avery waited for Hoes, but my guess would just be to establish a financial baseline. Both had nice scholarships to universities, but the O's were very generous with Hoes, giving him a bonus around $700K, so if the O's gave Avery something similar between $700k and $1 mill, he'd likely sign, and I'm hearing it should be soon.

The deadline to sign a guy from the draft was the next years draft. So the signing of Loewen took nearly twelve months. But the last set of rule changes, which included changes to the Rule 5 draft as well, also affected the draft. A deadline was set for Aug 15th of that year. That is why Aug 14th was a big day for signing Wieters last year. After Aug 15th, the drafting team loses all rights to the player; thus, no more draft-and-follows.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Draft and follow only applied to junior college players, not college players. You could draft them in June, then if the player went the JC route, you could sign them up until a few days before the following draft. All of this is now a moot point because they did away with draft and follow in 2007.

Sorry, meant draft-and-follow.

There's a draft-and-follow deadline? Maybe I'm not using that term right either lol. I just mean that he will likely attend Clemson but our connection with him to Albany now and us drafting him in the first place just provides communication between the two and if, say, he's in the 5th round range after his junior year at Clemson, I think he'd be extremely likely to sign with us if we pick him. It's just establishing a connection. Now remind me, what does actual draft-and-follow mean?

I'm not sure why Avery waited for Hoes, but my guess would just be to establish a financial baseline. Both had nice scholarships to universities, but the O's were very generous with Hoes, giving him a bonus around $700K, so if the O's gave Avery something similar between $700k and $1 mill, he'd likely sign, and I'm hearing it should be soon.

I think the second point is dead on. Maybe he's waiting to establish a baseline.

As for draft and follow, that was eliminated essentially......but as I remember it, draft and follow was when you took a guy, let him play a year of JuCo and then tried to sign him after his season (like we did with Loewen). I could be wrong about the details, but I pretty sure draft and follow is gone for all practical purposes.

OF L.J. Hoes (St. John’s HS, Mitchellville, MD): Excellent line drive swing, squares up to everything, 6.7 runner with howitzer (95 mph) arm strength in right field; could really move up when his power comes.

With that kind of arm strength, why play him at 2b?

The deadline to sign a guy from the draft was the next years draft. So the signing of Loewen took nearly twelve months. But the last set of rule changes, which included changes to the Rule 5 draft as well, also affected the draft. A deadline was set for Aug 15th of that year. That is why Aug 14th was a big day for signing Wieters last year. After Aug 15th, the drafting team loses all rights to the player; thus, no more draft-and-follows.

All correct information, but just to let you know, teams now have "summer follows," which are guys they draft and then watch play over the summer before they make an offer. A little like the draft and follow guys, but they don't get a college season to watch.

With that kind of arm strength, why play him at 2b?

Really they are trying to maximize his bat. They see a future .300 hitter, but with average power at best. At the high end of his power potential is 15-20 homers but most likely he will be around 8-12 or so.

That plays at second base but is a little light anywhere else. Think Frank White...

All correct information, but just to let you know, teams now have "summer follows," which are guys they draft and then watch play over the summer before they make an offer. A little like the draft and follow guys, but they don't get a college season to watch.

Do you see someone we drafted who is probably in that category?

If I were a kid, I wouldn't like that much. I'd just go to college or a juco and hope for better.

If I were a kid, I wouldn't like that much. I'd just go to college or a juco and hope for better.

See the Miclat thread. That may be exactly the situation with him as he's head to the Cape to play there until we come to an agreement or he decides to go back for his senior season.

Kevin Brady is in that category, playing for Dean Albany's team.

Archived