5th round pick - Greg Miclat, SS, U of Virginia

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess the orioles are expecting tyler henson or blake davis to develop into the starting shortstop role..

But if they don't we have some trading chips to get the postional talent we need. Such as LIZ, Olson, Cabrera, Guthrie, Walker, Bradford, Sherril, Millar, Huff, Payton, R. Hernandez, D. Hernandez, McCory and a few others.

The reason why i say these names are because if we trade Bascom, Tillman, Arrieta, Erbe, and Loewen we would be stupid and Penn doesn't have any value so we need to keep him..

But if the orioles make those trades and sign Tex this horrible draft wont mean nothing as we added a pitcher that makes out pitching depth awesome so we can use that to our benefit.

Maybe we've picked up a lot of high OBP guys with speed... I remember a game against the Whitesox a couple years back when Posednik personally won the game just on his speed... ok maybe I'm spinning a little.. ok.. maybe more than a little..

I'm happy with this pick, as long as Miclat knows the strike zone. The O's came into this draft needing both corner infielders and middle infielders in the worst way. Ideally you would draft corner infielders with plus power, and middle infielders with plus defense and potential to do something with the bat.

Miclat sounds like someone with plus defensive potential whose defense was probably undervalued this season because of an arm injury. Jordan is very good at taking advantage of arbitrage opportunities like this.

I'm not happy with the fact that we haven't taken any hitters with power potential in this draft, but SS is not a position that you need power from. If Miclat knows the strike zone, then he's potentially a good leadoff hitter given his speed and ability to make contact. A good-fielding SS who can get on base and steal bases is an asset for any team.

Did something break down in signing Miclat? What's up with going to the Cape?

The most logical reasons, IMO, would be that he definitely wants to go back to school or there is a money disparity with the bonus. One would expect the money disparity can be worked out professionally with the agent before the draftee would have to resort to heading to the Cape.

This doesn't sound too good on the surface, IMO.

I'm going to look into this. Maybe he thinks he's a better player than his fifth round selection after a junior year where he was recovering from a shoulder surgery?

I don't know, but it sure doesn't sound like he wants to be a pro this year if he's going to the Cape.

Or he wants to stay in shape until he signs and he knows that may not happen until August 15. And he may have planned on playing in the Cape league well before the draft and sees no reason to change those plans until he signs. Or, he wants to be paid over slot and hopes that his performance in the Cape league helps his bargaining position with the O's. Could be any number of things.

Archived