POLL: Yay or nay on Beckham trade?

PaulFolk

POLL: Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Tim Beckham trade?

• Yes. Beckham is under control through 2020 and could be the SS of the future.
    • No. We should be acquiring prospects, not trading them away.
    • Meh. Nothing lost, nothing gained.

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Worst case scenario opening day lineup has Beckham at SS, Davis 1B, Mancini LF and Trumbo RF.  

I'm a pretty big Mancini believer, but when you put it that way...

Tonight's game was truly painful to watch.  I now find myself in a really strange place.  I kinda want to see another few games like this during the rest of the season, simply to prevent any possible excuse for not making wholesale changes during the offseason with defense as a primary consideration.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, 24fps said:

Tonight's game was truly painful to watch.  I now find myself in a really strange place.  I kinda want to see another few games like this during the rest of the season, simply to prevent any possible excuse for not making wholesale changes during the offseason with defense as a primary consideration.

I like Mancini at 1B or DH.  Outfield not so much.

5 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I think they know how bad things are. Some of the solutions are not ready or even in the organization. Mullins is one answer.  

52 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

There is no way in hell he is the starting SS next year. 

Well ok then.  Obviously there's a whole offseason to go but if they don't get anyone for SS....who else is gonna play short?

I think you're confused, I wasn't advocating for it.  Looking at it from a logical perspective, it could happen.  

23 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well ok then.  Obviously there's a whole offseason to go but if they don't get anyone for SS....who else is gonna play short?

I think you're confused, I wasn't advocating for it.  Looking at it from a logical perspective, it could happen.  

They will go outside the organization. I said Iglesias back months ago. Obviously if other teams want him they don’t control whether they get him. I just think instead of giving Beckham a raise they will spend some money and try with someone else. 

I was actually all for the trade, I thought it made sense to add a SS with years of control. I mean they had him under control for 3.5 years and he isn’t making much. He just seems to have a knack for making bad plays. 

This may have already been said tonight. Joe Angel said Beckham had a nightmarish night. He manages to make every kind of mistake at SS you can conceive of plus ones you can hardly describe.  He must have a vision problem. I am serious about this.  There is no way he can continue to make mistakes at SS game after game. I don't think he sees the ball properly.  It's not fair to our pitchers for him to continue to go out there game after game and make mistakes.

19 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't remember him being this bad...or bad at all really...on defense last year.  I am not sure what's going on with him.

He wasn't, it's like a non-throwing version of the yips, it's wild. He's always been inconsistent, but this is wild.

Last year he botched 15 out of 350 routine plays at SS.

This year it's 4 out of 49 at SS. (and that doesn't count yesterday). 

Data from inside edge fielding. 

10 hours ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

2nd error tonight, 12th in 21 games at short. 

This is why the narrative that Manny “demanded” to play SS or that Buck “kowtowed” to him fails. Manny let it be known that he’d prefer to play SS, and Buck judged that he’d be a better SS than Beckham.     Was he wrong?

47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I don't remember him being this bad...or bad at all really...on defense last year.  I am not sure what's going on with him.

He wasn’t this bad, but he was bad. The writing was on the wall, but his Superman month at the plate blurred it a bit. But it was there. I was really frustrated with his defense last year and thought he would be bad this year. He has the yips or whatever now on top of just regular bad. I predict he reverts to just regular bad pretty soon. 

58 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

There is a reason Tampa dumped him when he has a decent bat.  You can't have a guy play THIS bad in the field and continue running him out there, even if he was hitting like he was when we first got him last year.  Perhaps he has regressed to his Tampa days?

21 minutes ago, Dipper9 said:

There is a reason Tampa dumped him when he has a decent bat.  You can't have a guy play THIS bad in the field and continue running him out there, even if he was hitting like he was when we first got him last year.  Perhaps he has regressed to his Tampa days?

You can definitely keep running him out there in a season like this, now there needs to be better play to put him out there next year when they have pitching prospects like Akin, Tate, Ortiz, and maybe Harvey making their debuts. 

Archived