Interesting comment by Beckham just now

Frobby

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

I would imagine that Brady either made the first call, or was the welcoming committee. I can't imagine a traded player knows precisely who was pulling the trigger to acquire him.

You don't think Brady whispered in his ear "hey, Dan was only lukewarm about this, but I really wanted to make this happen for you"?

I dunno that there's much here, really. Beckham fits the kind of player the O's have been targeting for awhile now: former high draft pick, late 20's, "starting to figure it out", some upside with some areas of weakness, able to be acquired for a low level pitching prospect. 

Brady and Dan probably do work on things together and it makes sense that Brady would handle this one while Dan handled the Britton situation. 

I know this is a message board, but this strikes me as reading WAAAAAAY too much into a statement by a player in a post-game interview, 5 minutes after the game ended.

Maybe Beckham just blanked on Duquette's name momentarily.  It's only his 3rd day on the team after all.  Maybe he met Brady face-to-face so he stood out more. Maybe he was a big Brady Anderson fan growing up (haha).  

If/When DD's contract doesn't get picked up, it seems clear Brady Anderson's role will increase.  But the conspiracy theories are a bit overwrought in my opinion.

I responded in another thread about this.  It was the trade deadline.  Dan completes the trade and tells Brady to call Beckham while he works with Houston.  Beckham is just thanking guys in the order he talked to them.  Brady first because Dan was busy, Dan second.  Or he was just thanking them in order of how they stood out to him.  No one is going to question that Brady is charismatically more notable than dan.

1 minute ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I responded in another thread about this.  It was the trade deadline.  Dan completes the trade and tells Brady to call Beckham while he works with Houston.  Beckham is just thanking guys in the order he talked to them.  Brady first because Dan was busy, Dan second.  Or he was just thanking them in order of how they stood out to him.  No one is going to question that Brady is charismatically more notable than dan.

Or maybe Beckham likes listing people in alphabetical order? 

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don't want to make too much of the fact that Brady was mentioned first.     But it seems clear he had some significant involvement in the deal.

That's no surprise though, really, right? We've known he's been involved in deals and player signings in the past. He's the assistant GM, after all.

2 hours ago, LC_O's_87 said:

I know this is a message board, but this strikes me as reading WAAAAAAY too much into a statement by a player in a post-game interview, 5 minutes after the game ended.

Maybe Beckham just blanked on Duquette's name momentarily.  It's only his 3rd day on the team after all.  Maybe he met Brady face-to-face so he stood out more. Maybe he was a big Brady Anderson fan growing up (haha).  

If/When DD's contract doesn't get picked up, it seems clear Brady Anderson's role will increase.  But the conspiracy theories are a bit overwrought in my opinion.

I have ideas but it was a never a thought of a conspiracy. Yes I do wonder if Brady is next in line for the GM job. 

Although there has been discussion of Brady reporting to PA, I've never heard anything to suggest that he does not also work closely with DD and carry out various assignments that DD gives him.    In the article a few months ago describing Brady's unique role, I don't recall any indication that DD or Buck were uncomfortable with it.  The reservations came from some coaches and, to a limited extent, players (and that had to do with Brady having a locker in the clubhouse).     Now, none of that rules out that DD and/or Buck are just keeping their reservations to themselves rather than getting into a public spat with a PA ally.    But they were pretty complementary of Brady so far as I remember.    

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don't want to make too much of the fact that Brady was mentioned first.     But it seems clear he had some significant involvement in the deal.

No it doesn't Frank.  As an attorney you know darn well you are reading that into it.  And you most certainly are making too much of it.  I don't even particularly care, but I read nothing of it other than Brady is part of getting him comfortable here.  Why would it be otherwise.  If you honestly think that Brady is the power working deals here, then Dan is a card board cut out.  Why would he stay if that were the case and why would Brady not demand full authority.  I just think people are looking for stuff to make an issue out of and this is on top of the list.  In my opinion of course.

Archived