Actually, Rickard is good at defense

interloper

Well if Buck and Kirby speak highly of him that means a lot.  I mean most of the time they are telling us how bad the guys that play for them are.  I couldn't believe some of the language they were using to describe Seth Smith last summer.  Don't they know kids what those interviews? 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Rickard is sort of like the Ryan Flaherty of OF’s. He’s not going to kill you out there, but people will always expect more. I’d like to see him own his role and work on his base stealing, defense, and bunting for basehits. 

I wouldn't mind him being the king of small ball here. 

On 1/21/2018 at 8:46 AM, Can_of_corn said:

But the folks that use every opportunity to discount the metrics will still bring it up.

Look I started this thread and even I don't know why it got ressed. Rickard should absolutely be AAA insurance this season. I like him, but I'd rather see Santander hit dingers or Dyson/whoever play "legitimately" good defense. 

2 hours ago, interloper said:

Look I started this thread and even I don't know why it got ressed. Rickard should absolutely be AAA insurance this season. I like him, but I'd rather see Santander hit dingers or Dyson/whoever play "legitimately" good defense. 

I wasn't singling you out.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

We were told Cruz was really bad in the OF, but he really wasn't.

Granted, he wasn't Willie Mays Hays there, but I didnt think he was a huge liability like we thought he would be.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2011/10/28/cards-rangersgame6

And then there was Cruz, who was all that remained between the Rangers and the world title, peering up at the baseball. The ball was hit directly toward him. He reacted poorly initially, tried to recover, and drifted slowly. The ball hit not even near the top of the wall but the base of the wall. It was catchable. Both runners scored on what became a triple for Freese.

Can't happen. A ball cannot be hit over an outfielder's head in that situation, not even with a poor read. Can't happen. It's that simple.

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, but he wasn’t playing for us when that happened.    The metrics indicate he was pretty decent in 2014 (-1 Rtot, 3 Rdrs, 1.4 UZR), which is the only year I care about.   

Also -.7 dWAR.

You know when Buck only plays you 71 times in the outfield it has got to be pretty bad.

2 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

If Buck runs you out there 71 times, you must be halfway decent.

So Trumbo was halfway decent in 2016?  (96 games in the outfield)

Are you really hitching your cart to that wagon?

I'll cut you some slack, you delete your post and I'll delete mine.

We can pretend this never happened.

Archived