What's the most you'd offer any of Hardy, Jimenez, Miley, or Tillman to return?

FanSince88

31 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Seems like the O's FO has the same vision problem:

1. They didn't see Ariel Miranda as being ready and he has been far superior to Wade Miley for about 20 million less dollars

2. They didn't see Parker Bridwell as worth a roster spot and yet he is 5-1 on a team ahead of the O's in the WC race

I could list more... I would take any AAA pitcher over seeing Wade Miley pitch another game

Ariel Miranda has arguably not been better than Miley, much less far superior.  

Bridwell hasn't been very good, his ERA is unsustainable with his peripherals (5.8 K/9, 2.4 BB/9, 1.5 HR/9).  Also, he never performed at a level in the minors that would give anyone confidence in his ability to pitch successfully in the majors.

I agree that the Miranda-Miley trade hasn't been great, but it was a reasonable trade.  The trades I have issues with are the trades for players at the peak of their value, whose performance doesn't seem sustainable, the worst of which was the trade for Geraldo Parra.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

2. They didn't see Parker Bridwell as worth a roster spot and yet he is 5-1 on a team ahead of the O's in the WC race.

First, while I take your overall point, the Angels are a half-game behind us in the WC race, not in front of us.

Second, I'd distinguish between the Miranda case and the Bridwell case.   Miranda was a seasoned Cuban veteran when we acquired him, put up solid minor league numbers overall (3.80 ERA), and was on a roll when we traded him.   The chance that he could be a viable major league starting pitcher in the near term was somewhat foreseeable.   

Bridwell, on the other hand, had been in the minors for 7+ years with a 4.74 ERA, including 5.01 in AAA.     There was literally nothing in his performance here to suggest he would be a successful major league starter.   If he does succeed, to me it's more of an indictment of our pitching development system than of our decision not to keep him on the 40-man roster.

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Sorry but by similarity I can list the guys we traded to other teams. I won't bother because there are many threads listing the accomplishments of former young cost controlled O's players thruout the majors.

Dodging questions, per the norm. Your song was old 5 years ago.

3 hours ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

If the coaching staff believed Tillman is suffering due to nagging injuries, this would be the time to sign him to a three year deal for cheap.

Sorry but I have to disagree with you. If he has nagging injuries I wouldn't bring him back on a 1 year prove it deal. Sure wouldn't give him a 3 year deal. As for JJ. I like him a lot. One of my favorite all time O's players. But I hope he retires. I believe the man is done. As for Ubaldo. Well I like him too. Let him go when his contract is up. 

40 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

That really has nothing to do with this though, does it? Nice attempted pivot.

You were talking about what we should have receive in return for our soon to be FA's at the deadline. So, who would that have been, and how would they have helped us next season? You mention younger, healthier players. I'm interested in hearing more about these hypothetical people.

Maybe he is talking about some of our minors. 

I feel like Tillman is going to take two weeks to work on things in the pen. Then when they shut down Bundy at his innings limit, Tillman slides back into the rotation. If he performs well in 4 or 5 starts in late august and September then I offer him a one year deal for 6-8 million 

I'd sign Hardy for 1/5 million if he agrees to be the Utility guy. Honestly he'd be the perfect utility player for us if he can play 2nd, 3rd, and short. It would give the team a chance to rest guys every week and have a player who would at least be able to hit a little bit. 

The other guys are shown the door. 

2 minutes ago, Lucky_13 said:

I feel like Tillman is going to take two weeks to work on things in the pen. Then when they shut down Bundy at his innings limit, Tillman slides back into the rotation. 

I don't think they intend to shut Bundy down, just get him extra rest between starts and keep his pitches/game on the low side.    

Only player I see coming back that's a FA is Flaherty. On a one year minimum deal. 

Seems like there is some makings for some bad blood with Tillman. The whole offseason and not coming to Baltimore like our docs wanted fiasco. Then the season. I think he signs a one year deal with a NL team. Atlanta?  

Might sounds crazy but I like Wright for a rotation spot next year. Maybe a ST battle of Castro, Wright and Aquino for 1 spot. 

I wouldn't give a major league contract to any of these guys, even on a one-year cheap deal.  The O's need to have five starting pitchers by spring training next season who are better than Miley, Tillman or Ubaldo.  If they sign one of them to a cheap one year deal, then they will consider that slot filled and will not try to find a better option.  

I'd be ok with giving Tillman a minor league contract, with no presumption that there is a slot open for him in spring training if he pitches well (for the same reason listed above).  If he proves at Norfolk that his stuff and command have returned, then an opportunity will inevitably arise for him to return to the majors at some point next season.  

3 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Lucas Long could be an option, we have a few in house options for the back of the rotation next year (Wright, Aquino, Asher, Ynoa, Long, Means, Hess) but no one that a spot should be just handed to.

My strategy would be spend on one starter, trade for one starter (either directly with Britton, or getting the best package for Britton and then trading some of our position prospects/prospects from Britton deal), then sign a couple of buy low candidates (coming off injury or poor performance) to compete with the in-house guys.

I think the O's have to go into ST with 10 starter candidates next spring.  Gausman, Bundy, Tillman, Castro, Bleier, Long, Asher, Wright are 8.   Aquino and Ynoa are out for options and probably do not stay on the 40 man all winter IMO.   Means and Hess are question marks at this point as starters for me.  

I agree the O's have to pick up two starters that have major league experience, probably through trades.

Archived