Get Rid Of The Rubber Warning Track - NOW

section18

How many ground rule doubles have cost us runs this season and seasons before?  Over and over a ball is hit up the alley and it could have resulted in a double or triple for the Oriole hitter or allowed a speedy runner to score from first only to be sent back to third because the ball hits the rubber warning track and bounces into the stands.  Why can't we replace it with something else that's safe for the fielders but doesn't cause ball to bounce 10 feet in the air?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, section18 said:

How many ground rule doubles have cost us runs this season and seasons before?  Over and over a ball is hit up the alley and it could have resulted in a double or triple for the Oriole hitter or allowed a speedy runner to score from first only to be sent back to third because the ball hits the rubber warning track and bounces into the stands.  Why can't we replace it with something else that's safe for the fielders but doesn't cause ball to bounce 10 feet in the air?

Last I heard they changed it back in 2013.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/orioles-changing-warning-track-from-synthetic-to-natural/

44 minutes ago, section18 said:

Agree ! The TV guys always call it the rubberized warning track. I don't know when it was replaced but it needs to be replaced again. NOW !

It was replaced. It is dirt. So change the type of dirt or water it down. 

14 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Crushed stone actually.

Yeah, I think it's similar to stuff that bricks are made of. Crushed baked red clay. The Durham Bulls warning track is made of the same stuff. They have "families throw on the field" days and I've been out there a few times.

Maybe they should rename it "Dads with warning track power" days. 

2 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

The ground-rule double is the dumbest thing in sports. Why don't the umpires have discretion to place the runners like they do in every other situation where the ball ends up out of play?

Wonder how long that rule has been in effect? I've heard of it as long as I can remember. 

3 hours ago, section18 said:

Do you think it somehow affects the Orioles more than our opponents?

If anything, we are, on the whole, one of the slower teams in baseball so it seems to me we would be less likely to have guys who "would have scored".  

10 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Do you think it somehow affects the Orioles more than our opponents?

If anything, we are, on the whole, one of the slower teams in baseball so it seems to me we would be less likely to have guys who "would have scored".  

My point exactly.    

Archived