What Trades Will the Orioles Make?

weams

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

The more teams competing, the better the prospects and dollars will have to be.  We are not the best at either. 

If any team were willing to risk taking on their whole salary they could just claim them, we could have claimed Verlander.  Then Detroit would have to decide whether to let him go for nothing, negoiate a trade with us, or pull him off waivers.  If any team was willing to take his whole salary, that team would have claimed him, their would be nothing to lose if you think the player is worth what they are being paid.  

As far as prospects, no top 100 guys are going to be traded in August, so we have plenty of prospects to acquire a player (we will have 3 top 100 prospects at the end of the season btw).

10 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I wonder how Gonzo would feel about returning here.  He surely was unhappy about the way his tenure in Baltimore ended.  I guess he wouldn't have any choice if the ChiSox traded him here, but if there is bad blood between Gonzo and the Orioles' organization, there could be trouble in the clubhouse.  

That is not the Gonzo I know.   He would be glad to be back with his teammates.   He understands the numbers game in baseball.   I  don't think he is the kind of player to cause any problems.

I am wondering if sending Hart down is a move to make room for a trade.

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That is not the Gonzo I know.   He would be glad to be back with his teammates.   He understands the numbers game in baseball.   I  don't think he is the kind of player to cause any problems.

Wasn't that just to get Bundy off the bereavement list? 

Trading Ubaldo for Castro in the rotation could be huge, without having to go outside the organization. Topping that off with a guy who could join Bundy and Gausman in the top 3 of the rotation for the next couple of years (like Verlander or Samardzija) would be the icing on the cake.

What would it take to get Verlander?  Sisco, Akin, Rafaela/Stewart/Phellufo?

Verlander is owed $56 million through 2019, but is there a safer way to spend money on the FA market?  They guy arguably could have one the CY Young last year. This year in a "down" year, he's 8th in WAR in the AL at 3.6. So in a down year, he is still worth 4 WAR.  

He's actually the safer play as opposed to handing out an "Ubaldo" type FA contract to a SP that has "Ubaldo" type risk. Verlander is likely going to put up at least 8 WAR over the next two years, plus whatever he gives us this year.

Next year you can justify having Verlander in the rotation, making so much money, if the rotation is Verlander, Bundy, Gausman, Castro, Wright/Aquino.  That's without magically trading Davis, Trumbo or O'day. 

We have 40 games left. Verlander would make 7-8 starts, plus if we make the postseason. You could still give guys extra rest and run Verlander out there on normal rest.

I think there's a lot of value in Verlander and a much better chance of your return on your investment than the alternatives. Verlander at $28 million in 2018, of Miley and a FA at around the same money?  

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

He was playing in Mexico when we gave him a chance. When we let him go it was because he had gotten too expensive. Sink in. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

He was playing in Mexico when we gave him a chance. When we let him go it was because he had gotten too expensive. Sink in. 

Sink in?  What?

The O's let Miguel go because he had a poor 2015, was on the DL twice, the last time in Sept with an elbow problem and then had a poor Spring Training.  They would have paid him if they thought he was worth it but he hadn't shown much. (9.78 ERA in 6 starts)

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Sink in?  What?

The O's let Miguel go because he had a poor 2015, was on the DL twice, the last time in Sept with an elbow problem and then had a poor Spring Training.  They would have paid him if they thought he was worth in but he hadn't shown much. (9.78 ERA in 6 starts)

Miguel has much to be grateful to Baltimore for. And many friends there still. 

9 minutes ago, weams said:

Miguel has much to be grateful to Baltimore for. And many friends there still. 

Otoh, there were the times the O's "sent" him to the minors - because he had options remaining - to make room for extra players - even when he was one of the key guys on the team.  He never complained (as far as I know), but I think a lot of players in his situation would have "pitched" a fit.  It would have left a bad taste in my mouth.    

Archived