Dan places the blame for losing year squarely on the starters

wildcard

18 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

This thread progressed about EXACTLY how I thought it would. 

You people just can't handle the truth, which is exactly what Duquette said. 

"He signed Ubaldo to a 4 year deal! He signed other scrap heap pitchers that regressed to the mean too it is all his fault!"

HE IS FORCED TO SIGN THIS JUNK YEAR AFTER YEAR. GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULLS. 

He literally doesn't have a choice in the matter. Tough position to be in as a GM I would say. I wonder if Cashman or Dombrowski operate under the same restrictions from ownership?

I know DD has done some positive things. But  I would like to see him gone and Buck too. 

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, TradeAngelos said:

"Biggest FA contract for a pitcher EVER from Orioles" LMAO if you could see me right now I am on the floor typing and laughing hysterically at the same time. Uncontrollably. 

That's like if someone takes you to the Dollar Store and says pick out whatever birthday present you want. Which is what Angelos does every single offseason as Dan walks down the clearance aisle.  In the Dollar Store.

I wouldn't call Ubaldo a top-tier contract, but he wasn't exactly Dollar Store, either.    His contract was the second-biggest handed out to any free agent pitcher that winter.

33 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Seriously?

The O's won by 12 games.

I think we can safely say Norris wasn't  worth 12.1 games over replacement.

You don't know that when the team is built.  I am just overjoy it turnout that way.  But you pull one block for the pile and the whole thing can come tumbling down.

Just now, TradeAngelos said:

You can include every team in MLB except ones under 75m payroll how about that? Where do you think the O's would stack up? At/near the bottom, every year.

What if a team is a "contender" despite a payroll under 75M?

Rays have a better record than the O's, are they a "contender" this year?

Just now, wildcard said:

You don't know that when the team is built.  I am just overjoy it turnout that way.  But you pull one block for the pile and the whole thing can come tumbling down.

No, just no.

Norris had very similar stats to four other pitchers on the roster.  He wasn't the keystone of that team.

18 minutes ago, thezeroes said:

Name the fifteen or so that pitched this year in the minors that at no point should be considered in a trade and will become stalwarts in the Orioles rotation at some point in the next four years.

That would require a crystal ball, and it doesn't take a crystal ball to predict that no one will tackle your challenge head-on.  To much potential for not only being wrong, but looking foolish down the road.  It's much more satisfying to stay on safe ground and bash DD for not having one in hindsight.

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

That would require a crystal ball, and it doesn't take a crystal ball to predict that no one will tackle your challenge head-on.  To much potential for not only being wrong, but looking foolish down the road.  It's much more satisfying to stay on safe ground and bash DD for not having one in hindsight.

A-men.

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

So the GM is immune from criticism because he doesn't have a crystal ball?  Got it.  I guess no GM should ever be criticized at any time, ever.

30 minutes ago, PaulFolk said:

First of all, you could easily make your point without the hostility and insults. There's no need for any of that.

To your point, I think we all know that Duquette operates under some restrictions from ownership that other GMs don't face. It's why the Orioles will never be in the market for a high-priced ace.

But even with that in mind, his track record with pitchers is particularly miserable. Duquette wasn't "forced" to sign Ubaldo Jimenez. In fact, Duquette is the one who convinced Angelos to give Ubaldo the biggest contract any FA pitcher had ever gotten from the Orioles. That's on him, not ownership.

I always liked Ubaldo. Not a good pitcher for sure but he did have his moments. Not a whiner but team player is what I have read.

Archived