What has more trade value -- one year of Manny, or two years of Schoop?

Frobby

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I would give more value to Schoop, unless the acquiring team was planning to move Manny to SS

3B is a stacked position, and I see Manny only had a 5 DRS this year (Schoop had a 3).

I agree with you that 3B is really stacked right now.   Even at 3.1 fWAR, Manny only ranks 10th this year.   For the last two years, 7th.   For the last three, 3rd.  At 2B, Schoop ranks 5th this year, 10th for two years, 16th for three.

26 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I agree with you that 3B is really stacked right now.   Even at 3.1 fWAR, Manny only ranks 10th this year.   For the last two years, 7th.   For the last three, 3rd.  At 2B, Schoop ranks 5th this year, 10th for two years, 16th for three.

and Schoop is trending up both offensively and defensively, while Manny is trending down. I also think plenty of GM's have watched Manny's showboating throws and lack of hustle on ground balls and shook there heads.

6 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

and Schoop is trending up both offensively and defensively, while Manny is trending down. I also think plenty of GM's have watched Manny's showboating throws and lack of hustle on ground balls and shook there heads.

Is that true, though? He didn't get to a lot of balls this year that I feel like he would have gotten to last year. 

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

Is that true, though? He didn't get to a lot of balls this year that I feel like he would have gotten to last year. 

According to FanGraphs DRS unless I misread it, but it's debateable if it either are really a trend. What's not is that Schoop had a breakout offensive year and Manny had his worst.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

According to FanGraphs DRS unless I misread it, but it's debateable if it either are really a trend. What's not is that Schoop had a breakout offensive year and Manny had his worst.

Schoop basically had a perfect offensive season. .300/30+/100+ with a .340 OBP and only like 100 K's. I mean. Incredible. 

2 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I'll debate it.

Manny has a 108 OPS+ this year (104 wRC+) and he had a 102 OPS+ in 2013 (102 wRC+).

His offensive numbers were also lower in 2012 but I'll give him a pass since it was less than half a season.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I wouldn't say Manny had his worst offensive year.   I'd say it's worse than (or not as good as) 2015-16, but better than the seasons before that.

If the trade is made this off season it's Manny. If it's in season it's still probably Manny, because I don' t think a team will trade for him unless they think they can lock him up long term. 

And yes, 3B is stacked, but don't rule out the fact that Manny could potentially play SS for some of these teams. 

Archived