Santander Next Season

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, oriole said:

The real question is...do the O's make a pick in the rule 5 this year? Two on the roster seems hard to accomplish especially for a team with a rapidly closing window like the O's.

I'm sure they'll at least make a pick. He'd be a long shot to make the Opening Day roster, though.

1 hour ago, oriole said:

The real question is...do the O's make a pick in the rule 5 this year? Two on the roster seems hard to accomplish especially for a team with a rapidly closing window like the O's.

I would expect them to look for a pitcher. Easy enough to stash for 90 days and could be useful if they find a decent one. 

What's happened to the Rule 5 pick from a couple of seasons ago.  Jason Garcia?  I think his name is.  Has he completely fallen of the radar or is he injured or what?  Never hear anything about him anymore.  As for this years upcoming Winter Meetings--yes we will take a Rule 5 pick.  DD luv him so Rule 5's...Wait a minute, this thread is supposed to be about Santander.  O's will keep him on the 25 man roster for the 45 days required and then likely send him down to the minors for more seasoning.  I think he was a good pick.  Has a chance to be really good down the line.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I have my doubts Santader will amount to anything but average. Cleveland is light years ahead of most in scouting and development so it stands to reason they would have kept him if he was a legitimate long term prospect. As I pointed out earlier, we need to stop filling our roster up with Rule V mediocrity and in the process tying our hands when it comes to roster flexibility. 

If you were to look at the Indians 40 Man Roster along with the other prospects in their system you could see why an injured/rehab potential candidate would have been left off the forty and not protected.  I know it does not fit the bashing narrative of Dan Duquette but it is the facts.

1 hour ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I have my doubts Santader will amount to anything but average. Cleveland is light years ahead of most in scouting and development so it stands to reason they would have kept him if he was a legitimate long term prospect. As I pointed out earlier, we need to stop filling our roster up with Rule V mediocrity and in the process tying our hands when it comes to roster flexibility. 

Couldn’t you also say that Indians roster/system is so deep that they can afford to lose a solid prospect in the manner they lost Santander . I think he has potential to be legit a hitter.

My feeling is that the Indians thought no one would take Santander in the rule 5 and that he was in the lower part of the protected 40.  All teams must make "calculated guesses" on these matters. From what I see, being an average player is his floor.  He'll have a perfect chance to show he belongs next Spring for 40 games; if not, continue to develop at Norfolk.  Hays (probably like most rookies) needs to learn how to hit breaking stuff; teams have already adjusted to him and now it's his move to get better.  Santander being a switch hitter allows him to never see what Hays is being overmatched with at this point.

2 hours ago, MDK02 said:

Couldn’t you also say that Indians roster/system is so deep that they can afford to lose a solid prospect in the manner they lost Santander . I think he has potential to be legit a hitter.

He certainly has a nice approach at the plate accompanied by a smooth swing.

Archived