What team will sign Hardy to be their everyday SS?

Going Underground

Roch seems to think Hardy will  be an everyday SS next year. What team would want him to play most of the time at SS?  I can't think of any. I know Roch writes fluff pieces about the Orioles and their players .

No one is ruling out a return to the Orioles, but it seems highly unlikely with Tim Beckham on the roster. Hardy isn’t a utility player. He’s only been a shortstop in 13 major league seasons. And he isn’t going to settle for a situation where he might get on the field once a week.

He shouldn’t have to do it. Someone will want him to play shortstop.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/duquette-on-stand-up-guys-hardy-and-tillman.html

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think Dan wants to put that type of temptation in front of Buck.

Did you see what Beckham hit in September? 180/255/348/603.   The O's are going to need a backup SS just in case that is the  real Beckham.   I think Hardy is about as good as the O's are going to get as a cheap alternative.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Did you see what Beckham hit in September? 180/255/348/603.   The O's are going to need a backup SS just in case that is the  real Beckham.   I think Hardy is about as good as the O's are going to get as a cheap alternative.

Beckham has over a thousand plate appearances in the majors.  Pretty sure if he was a 600 OPS guy we would know by now (His career OPS+ is 15 points higher than Hardy's).

8 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Beckham has over a thousand plate appearances in the majors.  Pretty sure if he was a 600 OPS guy we would know by now (His career OPS+ is 15 points higher than Hardy's).

OK, looking at his career numbers I can agree that Beckman projects for a 755 OPS.

Dansby Swanson (ATL), Ryan Goins (TOR), Jonathan Villar (MIL), Alcides Escobar (KC), Jose Pereza (CIN) all got over 400 plate appearances at SS and sucked for their teams.  Any of them, with the likely exception of Atlanta, could see Hardy as an inexpensive (relatively), one-year stop gap if they have someone developing in their system.  He's certainly not going to get more than a one-year deal, but I don't think a major league deal is impossible.

2 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

I'm going to predict: Orioles.

Well, the OP said "everday" shortstop and I don't think that Dan is going to let that happen.  Even Buck gave Beckham the most playing time over Hardy until his hammies acted up.

3 hours ago, Going Underground said:

Roch seems to think Hardy will  be an everyday SS next year. What team would want him to play most of the time at SS?  I can't think of any. I know Roch writes fluff pieces about the Orioles and their players .

No one is ruling out a return to the Orioles, but it seems highly unlikely with Tim Beckham on the roster. Hardy isn’t a utility player. He’s only been a shortstop in 13 major league seasons. And he isn’t going to settle for a situation where he might get on the field once a week.

He shouldn’t have to do it. Someone will want him to play shortstop.

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2017/10/duquette-on-stand-up-guys-hardy-and-tillman.html

I do wish he would retire an Oriole and become a coach. 

Archived