2017 A.L.C.S. (Astros vs. Yankees)

OFFNY

11 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I don't think it is anywhere near an "of course" situation.

Two names that come to mind are Trout and Votto.

I will take the guy who has four 200 hit seasons in a row and has led the majors in batting average 4 years in a row.   Trout and Votto bring power and more value overall, but it is similar to arguments about Rod Carew not being the best hitter in his prime because he was not a power guy.  

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tntoriole said:

I will take the guy who has four 200 hit seasons in a row and has led the majors in batting average 4 years in a row.   Trout and Votto bring power and more value overall, but it is similar to arguments about Rod Carew not being the best hitter in his prime because he was not a power guy.  

OK, you can take him, but it isn't an "of course" situation.

Very strong cases can be made for other players.

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

We just don't get on base enough. Everyone K's. 

I said Verlander was a good target for the Orioles.....

Do the Astros get this Verlander for the next 3 years? Or is this just an escape from Detroit surge and the Verlander of "end of" murmurs will come back next year?

2 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Do the Astros get this Verlander for the next 3 years? Or is this just an escape from Detroit surge and the Verlander of "end of" murmurs will come back next year?

I think he was still solid earlier in year. He isn't this good but has skill left.

I knew he was never coming here I just thought a short term deal like him made sense here.  

8 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Verlander dealing.  Also Lol at Yankees arguing against balls and strikes when they benefit it most of the time and also... it was a strike... Yanks you were wrong.

The crying gets old. Gardner who I respect is the worst usually. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I think he was still solid earlier in year. He isn't this good but has skill left.

I knew he was never coming here I just thought a short term deal like him made sense here.  

Yeah, I wasn't questioning the idea of getting him. He has steadily been getting better, even going back to the end of last year. He was perfect for the Astros. It was more a general question of whether this is his zenith. The Astros won't care if they win it all.

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

OK, you can take him, but it isn't an "of course" situation.

Very strong cases can be made for other players.

True, few things are an absolute as it ultimately is a matter of what appeals to the individual fan most when it comes to “best” designations. 

Archived