Where Can The Orioles Find A Left-Handed Starter?

PressBoxOnline

1 hour ago, phillyOs119 said:

Of the starters at Bowie (not including 3 inning "starters" like Scott and Liranzo), Yefry Rameriez is currently 4th of 4 in ability to help the Orioles in 2018.  I'd rank them this way, Long, Means/Hess (pretty much interchangable, Hess has more upside, Means has a higher floor), then Ramirez.  Nothing particularly impressive about Ramirez, he doesn't really have a changeup, his fastball is fringy, he has a solid slider/curveball combination.  I really wasn't impressed from what I saw.  I know he had much better numbers when he was with the Yankees, so maybe I caught him making a mechanic adjustment or working on something.

It might have been the day. Looked at BBRef, he has a lower ERA and a bit lower WHIP in Bowie than he did for the Yankees. Most of the other numbers were almost identical or identical to The ones in NY

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, MDtransplant757 said:

It might have been the day. Looked at BBRef, he has a lower ERA and a bit lower WHIP in Bowie than he did for the Yankees. Most of the other numbers were almost identical or identical to The ones in NY

He gave up 1.7 HR/9 with Bowie.  His GB% dropped to 26% and his K/9 dropped from 8.9 to 7.3.

On 10/28/2017 at 8:42 AM, mdbdotcom said:

Questions a free agent pitcher's agent will be asking the Orioles.

1. Who will be the manager after 2018?
  2. Who will be the GM after 2018?
  3. Who will be the pitching coach after 2018?
  4. How do we know the team won't do a complete rebuild after 2018?

Questions a free agent pitcher's agent will be asking the Orioles:

1. How much are you willing to pay?

2. Then he'll ask himself - is that more than anyone else is willing to pay?

3. If the answer to #2 is yes, he'll ask - where does my client sign?

6 hours ago, MDtransplant757 said:

Tillman’s problem is that his shoulder is held together with scotch tape and super glue. Look at Yovani Gallardo and how that turned out in 2016 and 2017. Now make it worse and you have Tillman. He’s cooked, like Brian Matusz in 2011 cooked. Just thank him for his time and don’t resign him

If it's held together with scotch tape how is his velo up to his normal rates. Gallardo's velo dropped. With Tillman it's a mechanical issue I think. and could be corrected.

1 hour ago, Roll Tide said:

So the guys on 105.7 said the Os have reached to Tillman and Miley. I’ll assume they want Miley at a rate lower than the 11MM option 

It doesn't matter if the O's want Miley or not.   He is free agent he pick where he pitched.  Reports are he want to go to the National League.  Those reports say  he doesn't think Camden Yard or the AL East is a good place for him to pitch. 

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It doesn't matter if the O's want Miley or not.   He is free agent he pick where he pitched.  Reports are he want to go to the National League.  Those reports say  he doesn't think Camden Yard or the AL East is a good place for him to pitch. 

The major leagues isn't a good place for him to pitch.

8 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Of the starters at Bowie (not including 3 inning "starters" like Scott and Liranzo), Yefry Rameriez is currently 4th of 4 in ability to help the Orioles in 2018.  I'd rank them this way, Long, Means/Hess (pretty much interchangable, Hess has more upside, Means has a higher floor), then Ramirez.  Nothing particularly impressive about Ramirez, he doesn't really have a changeup, his fastball is fringy, he has a solid slider/curveball combination.  I really wasn't impressed from what I saw.  I know he had much better numbers when he was with the Yankees, so maybe I caught him making a mechanic adjustment or working on something.

IMO Long, Means, Hess and Ramirez should all be protected from the Rule 5 draft.  They are numbers 6 thur 10  in the rotation depth.  Depending  on how any one of them do next year they could find themself in the majors filling in for an injured starter.

The O's have Bundy and Gausman and they need to go get at least 3 starters.   Brach or Castro  could prove to be a starter in ST.  

JMO

4 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

So the guys on 105.7 said the Os have reached to Tillman and Miley. I’ll assume they want Miley at a rate lower than the 11MM option 

Please no more Miley, or Hellickson.  I would rather the O's give the 5th spot to whoever wins it from AA/AAA/minor league free agents.  It would save about $5 million too.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Please no more Miley, or Hellickson.  I would rather the O's give the 5th spot to whoever wins it from AA/AAA/minor league free agents.  It would save about $5 million too.

Agreed tired of wasting money on pitchers who one their best day are a number 5 starter.  I would rather invest funds in an everyday outfielder, preferably a center fielder and shift Jones to RF.  

On 10/28/2017 at 8:03 AM, Tx Oriole said:

You'd bring back Hellickson? If DD gets Cobb or Lynn that'd be good. But why Hellickson? Why not bring up one one of the young pitchers instead of Hellickson? 

Letting a young guy get some extra starts/see who is ready. Service time. Etc. 

Archived