Orioles Will Face Tough Decision On Adam Jones After 2018 Season

PressBoxOnline

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think a Jones extension is the type of classic trap contract the O's fall into.

It would be an insult for a team he has played for this long to offer him a contract that represents his true on the field value going forward.

It’s a slightly different situation, in that Adam will be older than guys like Hardy, Davis and Trumbo when they signed their deals.   If DD were staying, I doubt he’d want to chase Adam.    But we may have a different GM by then, and of course, PA may dictate this decision.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I will not give up on Davis this soon.

I hope you're right. It would seem fitting to have an aging Jones ride out his career here with Davis finishing out his contract. Maybe things will go right and there will be a solid core to make up for the lost production of age. I hope so. Jones just seems like a competitive guy and without a clear path to an actual shot I would imagine he'd rather find somewhere he can get a ring.

47 minutes ago, Frobby said:

The last several pages of this thread seem to be about everyone but Adam Jones.     I’m not worrying now about whether we re-sign him.     It depends on what the team’s competitive position is next year, and whether Jones as a corner OF makes any sense then (frankly, it probably won’t).

Do you think he would be good in RF? I hate to see him go. 

8 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

Why are these "loyalty" arguments always  biased towards the player. Like he's been a great employee so we should overpay him for his final likely near worthless years.

How about some loyalty in the other direction. The Orioles have been good to me, they gave me an opportunity and I've made a lot of money, so I'll gladly sign a 3yr/10m

extension to play out my career as an Oriole.

I wouldn't even give him 3/10. As a COF with little defensive value and a likely degrading offensive value this should be Adams last year with the O's

No doubt the FO will do something stupid and give him a couple 100% more than his market value, like Davis and Trumbo

Well, I did say it all depends on what money he wants. Loyalty does matter, and I think Adam has been quite loyal to this organization on and off of the field. He’s been our unofficial team captain. He could have gotten more money if he had left, so I think he showed loyalty and commitment to the city of Baltimore.

Nowhere in my post did I advocate overpaying him. I do think it is a good move to bring him back at a reasonable rate to help mentor the next wave of OF’s. He may not want to come back. 

Trumbo’s resigning had nothing to do with loyalty. It had to do with him being a monster for one season. A bad idea to resign him, yup, but no one owed him anything. Davis, yeah, that was as bad as you say. 

15 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

What is your threshold for good?

2.5 wins?

I don't think Trumbo has a 2.5 win season left.

2.5 wins is my threshold for a good year, and at that level Mark Trumbo has never had a good year by fWAR, and hasn't had a good year by rWAR since 2012.

Mark Trumbo is not good.

3 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

2.5 wins is my threshold for a good year, and at that level Mark Trumbo has never had a good year by fWAR, and hasn't had a good year by rWAR since 2012.

Mark Trumbo is not good.

Pretty much.

When you only provide value with your bat, you better be able to hit. When you only provide value with your bat and don’t walk, then you better hit the snot out of the ball regularly if you even want to be an average player.

59 minutes ago, ArtVanDelay said:

-1.2 WAR.   That’s not a major league player.  0.9 WAR over the last 4 seasons. 

You are probably correct that if Trumbo didn’t have a 3 year deal, he probably would have been released at some point last year.     At this point, we just have to hope he bounces back and gives us 2 decent seasons.     If we can get a .750-.775 OPS and further limit his time in the OF, that would be a non-disaster.     That’s all I’m hoping for at this juncture.

We cannot be competitive if we continue to send guys like Trumbo Davis and Jones out onto the field IF they cannot play replacement level ball.  You can have a one guy...and for me that would be Adam, and you can move him to RF in 17 or 18 when you have someone to take the spot.

Emotionally, I like all of these guys, but realistically, you cannot even rebuild with all of them, its a tough spot to be in and how the next few months transpire will set the course for quite awhile.  Im hopeful, but there are no easy decisions and certainly no cheap ones.

16 minutes ago, foxfield said:

We cannot be competitive if we continue to send guys like Trumbo Davis and Jones out onto the field IF they cannot play replacement level ball.  You can have a one guy...and for me that would be Adam, and you can move him to RF in 17 or 18 when you have someone to take the spot.

Emotionally, I like all of these guys, but realistically, you cannot even rebuild with all of them, its a tough spot to be in and how the next few months transpire will set the course for quite awhile.  Im hopeful, but there are no easy decisions and certainly no cheap ones.

How is Jones (2.5 rWAR) being lumped in with Trumbo (-0.6 rWAR) and Davis (-0.1 rWAR)?   I’m not necessarily in favor of re-signing him, but he’s still a very positive contributor and hasn’t been subject to the wild fluctuations that Davis and Trumbo have.    

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How is Jones (2.5 rWAR) being lumped in with Trumbo (-0.6 rWAR) and Davis (-0.1 rWAR)?   I’m not necessarily in favor of re-signing him, but he’s still a very positive contributor and hasn’t been subject to the wild fluctuations that Davis and Trumbo have.    

Very positive may be a stretch. He was at 1.7 fWAR and 16th out of 18 qualified center fielders. I'd even the 2 out and call him league average in 2017. In 2016, he was at 1.5 and 1.1 wins respectively.

Personally, one average season and one below average season in the last two doesn't qualify as a very positive contributor. Still, I agree he was certainly nowhere near the anchors Davis and Trumbo were in 2017.

13 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I wasn't clear...I'm sorry.  IF they cannot play replacement level ball.  Jones is and Trumbo and Davis have.  But they are aging players...there is no guarantee that AJ can continue and RF seems like a move that could keep him in the lineup longer.  Davis and Trumbo could have huge bounce back years.  They could.   But it would be terribly difficult to be successful if the Orioles remain committed to all three IF they continue to decline.  And again, if I were to keep one, it would be Jones, the heart and soul of the club.

Archived