6 ways the O's are likely to pursue the 4 starting pitchers they need

mdbdotcom

The O's need starting pitchers. Lots of 'em. Here are 6 ways they can pursue those pitchers that seem to fit what they've done in the past. I'm sure they might try other options, but I don't expect them to give a highly-sought-after free agent more money than anyone else, and I would be very surprised if they were to move a 30+ year old reliever like Britton, Brach or Bleier into the rotation.

I am keeping in mind that they will not add someone with a look to the future, but with the goal of winning one of the wildcard slots in 2018. Here are the efforts they could make that would not surprise me at all.

1. Move Miguel Castro into the rotation. They’ve discussed it, Buck gave him a start at the end of the season, and he’ll get a long look in spring training.
  2. Try to repeat the Chen/Gonzalez magic of 2012 by signing one or two free agent pitchers from international leagues who have had success there but won’t get a big payday from a major league team.
  3. Sign a former MLB pitcher who has been in an Asian league for the last few years who is looking for a return to MLB. This would be a pitcher who wasn’t good here before, but did well overseas.
  4. Trade a prospect/newcomer for a veteran innings eater. Mancini, Sisco, Hays, Santander, Stewart, Mullins and Mountcastle could all be on the block. I have visions of Mancini becoming the next Justin Turner, but not with the O’s.
  5. Sign a free agent “innings eater” who produces no excess value. Ricky Nolasco and Doug Fister could be two candidates, though Fister did not pitch a lot of innings in 2015 or 2017.
  6. Sign an O’s retread like Gonzalez or Tillman.

That's 6 ways to get 'er done that are all inside the O's box. I don't expect them to act outside the box.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good summary - agreed!

I have zero expectations for anything more than another mediocre finish.  That said (how trendy), it will be another excruciatingly long time until the roster is "set" by March so "hang on for the ride"!  I can still read wildcard, Frobby, Philly and Legend to soothe my mental aches and pains.  9_9  Can and Co. will find me crashing down to Earth with misery and woe....

Is that webrickish enough?  :ph34r:

2 minutes ago, bobmc said:

Good summary - agreed!

I have zero expectations for anything more than another mediocre finish.  That said (how trendy), it will be another excruciatingly long time until the roster is "set" by March so "hang on for the ride"!  I can still read wildcard, Frobby, Philly and Legend to soothe my mental aches and pains.  9_9  Can and Co. will find me crashing down to Earth with misery and woe....

Is that webrickish enough?  :ph34r:

While I'd prefer that they rebuild, I do think there is an outside chance of winning a wildcard slot taking this approach, and that's what the FO, Buck and DD want.

37 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

The O's need starting pitchers. Lots of 'em. Here are 6 ways they can pursue those pitchers that seem to fit what they've done in the past. I'm sure they might try other options, but I don't expect them to give a highly-sought-after free agent more money than anyone else, and I would be very surprised if they were to move a 30+ year old reliever like Britton, Brach or Bleier into the rotation.

I am keeping in mind that they will not add someone with a look to the future, but with the goal of winning one of the wildcard slots in 2018. Here are the efforts they could make that would not surprise me at all.

1. Move Miguel Castro into the rotation. They’ve discussed it, Buck gave him a start at the end of the season, and he’ll get a long look in spring training.
  2. Try to repeat the Chen/Gonzalez magic of 2012 by signing one or two free agent pitchers from international leagues who have had success there but won’t get a big payday from a major league team.
  3. Sign a former MLB pitcher who has been in an Asian league for the last few years who is looking for a return to MLB. This would be a pitcher who wasn’t good here before, but did well overseas.
  4. Trade a prospect/newcomer for a veteran innings eater. Mancini, Sisco, Hays, Santander, Stewart, Mullins and Mountcastle could all be on the block. I have visions of Mancini becoming the next Justin Turner, but not with the O’s.
  5. Sign a free agent “innings eater” who produces no excess value. Ricky Nolasco and Doug Fister could be two candidates, though Fister did not pitch a lot of innings in 2015 or 2017.

That's 6 ways to get 'er done that are all inside the O's box. I don't expect them to act outside the box.

They might work but I don't expect Angelos and DD to do anything that would bring in good pitching for the O's. 

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

Nice post

1.  I think depending on what happens with 2-6 the O's may stretch out both Castro and Brach in ST.

2.  By this time of the year in 2011 the O's were already courting Chen.  I have not heard anything this year.  Gonzalez was a AAA pitcher  in the Red Sox system coming off  TJ surgery that was released, Dan signed him a minor league contract.  Dan is always looking for those type  of pitchers but it is rare they are as successful as Gonzo.

3. This sounds like Mitch Mikolas. Reports are that the Rangers are the favorite for him.  The O's will probably have to  outbid them.

4. I don't see Dan trading O's players that will help them in 2018.   So not Mancini, Sisco. or Hays.  Mullins is projected as the next O's CF. Not him.  Santander, Stewart, or Mountcastle maybe.   Look what Dan traded to get Beckham, Brach, Trumbo, or Smith.  That is the the kind of trade Dan is likely to make IMO.

5.Maybe

6. Maybe. Tillman especially.

5 minutes ago, wildcard said:

4. I don't see Dan trading O's player that will help them in 2018.   So not Mancini, Sisco. or Hays.  Mullins is projected as the next O's CF. Not him.  Santander, Stewart, or Mountcastle maybe.   Look what Dan traded to get Beckham, Brach, Trumbo, or Smith.  That is the the kind of trade Dan is likely to make IMO.

You may be right, but if they think they need a starter to join Gausman and Bundy at the top of the rotation, they might need to give up more than they'd like. All of the other 5 options are more likely to bring in #4/5 types at best. Chen was an exception, and as you noted, they'd started scouting and courting him years earlier.

2 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

Deppressing and true I'm afraid.  I think the most attractive options for me would be 2 and 3.  Though I think 5 and 6 will ultimately be what we do.  Definitely 5 and 6.

How much would we have to throw at Darvish, hypothetically?  That's the kind of move I think we'd have to make to be a legit contender next season.  5/160? Or am I way too low?

7 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

This is a pretty good summation of the likely offseason approach...and it is very depressing.  If DD and Buck truly thinks any of these kinds of moves gets the Os to any better results than this year, well, I am sad to say then they are just making sure they are cashing another large paycheck before bailing out of the organization. 

28 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

This is a pretty good summation of the likely offseason approach...and it is very depressing.  If DD and Buck truly thinks any of these kinds of moves gets the Os to any better results than this year, well, I am sad to say then they are just making sure they are cashing another large paycheck before bailing out of the organization. 

Don't give up all hope. If they trade a prospect or two for a legitimate #3, it might work out. The fact that it didn't work out this year is no greater predictor of the future than the fact that it did work in 2012.

14 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Don't give up all hope. If they trade a prospect or two for a legitimate #3, it might work out. The fact that it didn't work out this year is no greater predictor of the future than the fact that it did work in 2012.

Would you trade Hays for a #3?

Would any team trade a #3 for any two Oriole prospects not named Hays or Harvey?

17 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Oh I never give up hope.   But this is not a progressive organization at the leadership level and now involves two leaders who are short timers for 2018.  And in a highly competitive environment such as MLB,  we are just not keeping up.   We finished dead last.  Last.   And we have made no changes whatsoever.   Other teams we are competing against now seem to have a higher expectation for the performance of their team and their leadership or fires them.    

25 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Good questions. I would trade Mancini and Bleier for a 3. Would any teams do that?

Not for a cheap controllable #3, no way. Bleier has almost no value. Mancini has significant value, but the best that package would have a shot at getting would be upper level pitching prospect with #3 upside or a #3 who only has a season of control or a number three who is making 15+ million per year.

And even that would require the other team liking Mancini, and I’d imagine many teams are still skeptical of him, due to lack of prospect history and limited defensive value.

Archived