Astros Should Give Orioles What They Want for Britton

section18

4 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

This is what I was thinking

DD spent an hour on 105.7 the previous season, explaining, how dumping somebody to get what you can because you are afraid you cant resign him, generally does not work out. The other GMs know what you are up against and aren't going to offer you much, when they can just wait for the off-season with open checkbook in hand.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

DD spent an hour on 105.7 the previous season, explaining, how dumping somebody to get what you can because you are afraid you cant resign him, generally does not work out. The other GMs know what you are up against and aren't going to offer you much, when they can just wait for the off-season with open checkbook in hand.

I think that's generally true. Unless you find a team that has a pretty glaring need, with an owner/GM who is desperate to win this year and doesn't want to wait until the off-season to fill that need for next year, and who thinks that filling that need will enable the team to get into and advance in the postseason this year -- like the Orioles in 2014 and the Cubs in 2016. The Astros sure looked like they might fit that description in 2017.  

Just now, spiritof66 said:

I think that's generally true. Unless you find a team that has a pretty glaring need, with an owner/GM who is desperate to win this year and doesn't want to wait until the off-season to fill that need for next year, and who thinks that filling that need will enable the team to get into and advance in the postseason this year -- like the Orioles in 2014 and the Cubs in 2016. The Astros sure looked like they might fit that description in 2017.  

And Tigers in 2014, which could have gone much farther is they had anybody in the pen that could throw relieve innings. Much like the Astros, all offensive.

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Astros would have won the world series by now if they had Britton closing games. Zach Britton is not damaged goods. Stop trying to imply that guys. The Orioles are lucky to have him.

I honestly can't tell if this is serious or a tongue-in-cheek. If the Astros had 2014, 2015, or 2016 Britton then he would be a great asset. The 2017 Britton was a little iffy. He was obviously not the lights out reliever he was. 

All you guys want to do is bitch and moan about every single Orioles player. Do you enjoy taking time out of your day to complain about every single Orioles player? Zach Britton would have pitched better than the Astros closer. Brad Brach would have pitched better than the Astros closer. The Astros relievers have been not been very good in the playoffs. It has been the Astros starters that have saved their bullpen. Their have been several Astro starters that have come out of the pen for them. Zach Britton is still a very good closer and he will prove that in 2018. You guys are just always way to negative. 

1 hour ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

The Astros would have won the world series by now if they had Britton closing games. Zach Britton is not damaged goods. Stop trying to imply that guys. The Orioles are lucky to have him.

That's hard to see, but I think there's a good chance I would have gotten to bed earlier last night if they had Britton or Brach or O'Day or Castro or  . . . 

Just now, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

All you guys want to do is bitch and moan about every single Orioles player. Do you enjoy taking time out of your day to complain about every single Orioles player? Zach Britton would have pitched better than the Astros closer. Brad Brach would have pitched better than the Astros closer. The Astros relievers have been not been very good in the playoffs. It has been the Astros starters that have saved their bullpen. Their have been several Astro starters that have come out of the pen for them. Zach Britton is still a very good closer and he will prove that in 2018. You guys are just always way to negative. 

I do not do this, I am an optimist.

Zach Britton has a good chance to be excellent in 2018 if he's healthy. 

It's OK to like a player because he is an Oriole, but liking a guy shouldn't taint the analysis of what can be expected from said player.

5 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

It is just absolutely ridiculous to call or imply that Zach Britton is damaged goods. His career is far from over. He also still has the potential to be the best closer in baseball. I would rather have Britton than a guy like Chapman.

Zach was injure true, damaged good, maybe, but 95% most likely he will bounce back and be just fine?

Some people just like to stir the pot.

25 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

It is just absolutely ridiculous to call or imply that Zach Britton is damaged goods. His career is far from over. He also still has the potential to be the best closer in baseball. I would rather have Britton than a guy like Chapman.

You are in the vast minority my friend. 

5 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You are in the vast minority my friend. 

Britton has never been as good as Chapman, Miller or Jansen.  Even in his “greatest season of all time” last year.  Not that there’s anything wrong with that. Those guys are all-time greats. 

53 minutes ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't hear anyone saying that Britton for sure won't bounce back or that he's permanently broken.  Many here have said Britton's injuries and the reduced performance + future uncertainty they caused killed Britton's trade value.  

Archived