Orioles to take another shot at extending Machado per Roch

Roll Tide

Will the Orioles get Manny resigned  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Orioles get Machado signed?

• No ...They are just trying to prevent a fan exodus by saying they tried
    • No, They are going to back up the Brinks truck, but Machado isn't interested in staying
    • Yes...Angela s finally signs off on the big dollars and gets it done
    • Other.....

45 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

' I'm beginning to think his market isn't going to be that big. He may not even get 30 M AAV unless the MFY and the LAD get into a bidding war. No Boras mystery team this time, and Josh Donaldson will be a consolation prize.

I'm sure the Phillies will be involved, I wouldn't rule out the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mets, Tigers, or Angels either.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I'm sure the Phillies will be involved, I wouldn't rule out the Cardinals, Blue Jays, Mets, Tigers, or Angels either.

The Phillies are rebuilding AMcP is not spending that much in one player. Blue Jays will extend Donaldson before spending 300 M on Manny. Cardinals have Matt Carpenter, he had a better year than Manny last season. Mets have never spent that much, Tigers are rebuilding, Angels have too much invested in Pujols and Trout to afford Manny.

1 hour ago, El Gordo said:

The Phillies are rebuilding AMcP is not spending that much in one player. Blue Jays will extend Donaldson before spending 300 M on Manny. Cardinals have Matt Carpenter, he had a better year than Manny last season. Mets have never spent that much, Tigers are rebuilding, Angels have too much invested in Pujols and Trout to afford Manny.

Carpenter only played 16 games at 3B, 120 at 1B, 20 at 2B.  I'm sure the Blue Jays would prefer signing a long extension (what it would take for Donaldson to sign) with a 32 year old over a long contract with a 26 year old.  Angels will be running quite a payroll, but they'll be entering their last two years with Trout, I'm sure they'll be going for it and they've run a big payroll before.  All it will take for teams like the Tigers or the Phillies to start spending is a decent year in 2018, especially the Phillies who are just itching to be a big payroll team again.

As for the Mets, they were the runners up for Arod, the last star level player to hit free agency this young.  Don't believe me... (from Arod's wikipedia page)

Rodriguez became a free agent after the 2000 season. He eventually signed with the Texas Rangers, who had fallen to last place in their division in 2000. The contract was at the time the most lucrative contract in sports history: a 10-year deal worth $252 million. The deal was worth $63 million more than the second-richest baseball deal.[42] The contract was highly criticized, because it tied up valuable payroll space that could have been spent to improve other areas, such as pitching.[43][44]

In an article written eight years later, Rodriguez said he regretted signing with the Texas Rangers and wished he had signed with the New York Mets instead, and that he had heeded the advice of his agent, Scott Boras. (See Opt out controversy).[45]

I think you are underestimating how rare it is for a player like Manny to hit the open market with his prime years still ahead.  I understand he just had a disappointing year for him, but I guarantee everyone will forget about that if he is good in 2018.

9 hours ago, phillyOs119 said:

Carpenter only played 16 games at 3B, 120 at 1B, 20 at 2B.  I'm sure the Blue Jays would prefer signing a long extension (what it would take for Donaldson to sign) with a 32 year old over a long contract with a 26 year old.  Angels will be running quite a payroll, but they'll be entering their last two years with Trout, I'm sure they'll be going for it and they've run a big payroll before.  All it will take for teams like the Tigers or the Phillies to start spending is a decent year in 2018, especially the Phillies who are just itching to be a big payroll team again.

As for the Mets, they were the runners up for Arod, the last star level player to hit free agency this young.  Don't believe me... (from Arod's wikipedia page)

Rodriguez became a free agent after the 2000 season. He eventually signed with the Texas Rangers, who had fallen to last place in their division in 2000. The contract was at the time the most lucrative contract in sports history: a 10-year deal worth $252 million. The deal was worth $63 million more than the second-richest baseball deal.[42] The contract was highly criticized, because it tied up valuable payroll space that could have been spent to improve other areas, such as pitching.[43][44]

In an article written eight years later, Rodriguez said he regretted signing with the Texas Rangers and wished he had signed with the New York Mets instead, and that he had heeded the advice of his agent, Scott Boras. (See Opt out controversy).[45]

I think you are underestimating how rare it is for a player like Manny to hit the open market with his prime years still ahead.  I understand he just had a disappointing year for him, but I guarantee everyone will forget about that if he is good in 2018.

The Mets owners are still suffering from the Madoff Ponzi scheme. If I were the Angels I pay Trout not Manny. The BJ's are a long way away from contending a  300 M investment in one player doesn't make sense as for many of these other teams.

Manny only needs one team to get the big money, but Manny is likely to have two or more.

Yankees will be passed their luxury tax.   There is no limit to what they could spend.  

Dodgers can move Turner to 2B.   I've got to think they will be in on a HOF player.

Good health for a year and a decent season is the only things standing in the way  of this happening for Manny.

7 hours ago, El Gordo said:

' I'm beginning to think his market isn't going to be that big. He may not even get 30 M AAV unless the MFY and the LAD get into a bidding war. No Boras mystery team this time, and Josh Donaldson will be a consolation prize.

First of all, I think Manny needs to have a better year than last year.   He needs to re-establish himself as a 5+ WAR player and reinstitute the feeling that his best years are in front of him.    But assuming he does that, I think $300 mm is the floor.   If he doesn’t, then yeah he might be looking at a smaller deal.

If we couldn't even make it to the ALCS or win our division WITH Manny at a tiny salary (remember, Manny was injured for half the year in 2014 and we didn't have him the last two months of the season or the playoffs) I don't understand how anyone expects us to get to the ALCS or win the division when he's eating up $30+ million of our payroll per year.  Also most of the others who contributed to that what success we did have with Manny are getting old or have already left.  Plus we already have an awful contract on the books with the Davis deal, that's $20+ million per year for what is likely to be negative value.  

Honestly, for the long term good of the franchise, the best thing might be for us to suck so badly the first few  months of 2018 that the FO has no choice but to trade Manny at the deadline.  If we keep Manny for all of 2018 and fail to advance to at least the ALDS, it will be a massive blunder just as bad as failing to trade Mussina.  And regardless of what happens, signing Manny to a gargantuan deal next offseason will be an even worse mistake.  

I would rather see us give Darvish or Lynn a whole bunch of money.  Not that those would be good deals, either, but there would be more upside than hobbling ourselves financially for years and years for one player.  Or if you're going to extend someone, extent Schoop -- it will be a fraction of the cost and time commitment.  

27 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

If we keep Manny for all of 2018 and fail to advance to at least the ALDS, it will be a massive blunder just as bad as failing to trade Mussina. 

Mussina had a no-trade clause and made it crystal clear he wasn’t waiving it.   https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/archives/sports/mussina-not-set-fly-coop-article-1.892196

Manny is a different story.   But are you saying it’s a “massive blunder” to keep him if we make it to the WC game and lose, but it isn’t if we win the WC game and advance to the ALDS?   That’s crazy.  If Manny helps us make the postseason, I think you can rationalize having kept him, regardless of what happens from there.  

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

First of all, I think Manny needs to have a better year than last year.   He needs to re-establish himself as a 5+ WAR player and reinstitute the feeling that his best years are in front of him.    But assuming he does that, I think $300 mm is the floor.   If he doesn’t, then yeah he might be looking at a smaller deal.

What teams do you see offering 300 M or more besides LAD, MFY, and maybe O's?

1 minute ago, El Gordo said:

I don’t have the energy to speculate about it.    But in today’s salary context, $300 mm for a 26-year old isn’t that outrageous.   It’s a whole different ballgame than paying that for the typical 29-30 year old free agent.    

6 hours ago, wildcard said:

Manny only needs one team to get the big money, but Manny is likely to have two or more.

Yankees will be passed their luxury tax.   There is no limit to what they could spend.  

Dodgers can move Turner to 2B.   I've got to think they will be in on a HOF player.

Good health for a year and a decent season is the only things standing in the way  of this happening for Manny.

What other teams besides the LAD and the MFY.?

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

2 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I was asking if you thought the Cards could do that? I would hate for Manny to stay in the AL once or if he leaves Baltimore. 

Archived