Describe what you think the O's should be looking for in starters

wildcard

I am just curious, people seem to have quickly written off Jordan Kipper for the future. I know he is not ready now but he did show some signs at AAA. He seemed to be inconsistent but there were some good starts. He definitely fits the bill for control and ground balls. I am interested to see how he does his second year in the org.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

Throws strikes. High ground ball rate.

Honestly there are very few guys on the market that meet those criteria. I am thinking we bring back Miguel, sign Tillman on a cheap 1 year deal, and try to turn Castro or Bleier into starters.

I don't won't Tillman back at all. 

I want Tillman back but I agree it has to be on a low base salary with incentives.   Some reports of him commanding  6-8m on a one year contract is not a good thing for the O's.  Buck and Dan would be compelled to pitch him no matter how effective he was with a contract like that.  If he gets that much guaranteed he should sign somewhere else.  

51 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

Saw on a Cardinals board, a suggested trade of Michael Wacha for Austin Hays and Mychal Givens....it made me laugh out loud....thoughts?   

Wacha put up a 3.2fWAR which is really good, but I simply don't believe his body holds up to the rigors of starting. The thing is the Cardinals are massively overcrowded in the OF. As it stands they have  Pham,Fowler,Piscotty,Grichuk,Bader,Martinez and Sierra all on the 40 man and ready to go. Cards big needs at the moment are RP,SS and a big middle of the order thumper.

1. 30+ starts/200+ innings - Trade Mancini and O'Day for Jeff Samardzija. Giants need power, bullpen help and relief from Samardzija's contract. By including O'Day, the net cost per year for Samardzija would be a little over $10mm.
  2. 30+ starts/180 innings - Sign Lance Lynn for 5/100. 
  3. Sign cheap options to compete with Castro for the 5th starter role and/or provide depth at minimum

So, for a $30mm/yr payroll increase (which we can afford) the rotation is (in no particular order:

• Samardzija
  • Lynn
  • Bundy
  • Gausman
  • Someone breathing

That's a rotation good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs, not just to the division series. We would just need for Trumbo and Davis to bounce back a bit.

46 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:
  1. 30+ starts/200+ innings - Trade Mancini and O'Day for Jeff Samardzija. Giants need power, bullpen help and relief from Samardzija's contract. By including O'Day, the net cost per year for Samardzija would be a little over $10mm.
  2. 30+ starts/180 innings - Sign Lance Lynn for 5/100. 
  3. Sign cheap options to compete with Castro for the 5th starter role and/or provide depth at minimum

So, for a $30mm/yr payroll increase (which we can afford) the rotation is (in no particular order:

• Samardzija
  • Lynn
  • Bundy
  • Gausman
  • Someone breathing

That's a rotation good enough to take a team deep into the playoffs, not just to the division series. We would just need for Trumbo and Davis to bounce back a bit.

I like where your going, but not how you got there. No chance I'd give up Mancini for a 32 year Samardzija. If I trade him it would be for similar pitching talent (i.e., younger). And while I think Lynn would be a great fit for this rotation I'm not giving a 30 year pitcher a 5 year deal. Not with the uncertainly surrounding whether or not the team will resign Machado and be in rebuild mode. 

13 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Saw on a Cardinals board, a suggested trade of Michael Wacha for Austin Hays and Mychal Givens....it made me laugh out loud....thoughts?   

I could see the Cardinals moving Wacha, assuming they don't decimate their farm system by trading for Stanton. They have some young, talented SPs pushing at the AAA ceiling and for some reason they always seem to be looking for a reason to get Wacha out of their starting rotation.  Hays and Givens seems like a bit much, but they do need a legit closer. I wonder if Britton or Brach gets it done? 

4 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I like where your going, but not how you got there. No chance I'd give up Mancini for a 32 year Samardzija. If I trade him it would be for similar pitching talent (i.e., younger). And while I think Lynn would be a great fit for this rotation I'm not giving a 30 year pitcher a 5 year deal. Not with the uncertainly surrounding whether or not the team will resign Machado and be in rebuild mode. 

I was just using examples of pitchers who meet the GS/IP standards I used for numbers 1 & 2. If they can do better than my suggestions and still meet those standards, I'll be delighted. 

On 11/9/2017 at 3:33 PM, zjsmith said:

I am just curious, people seem to have quickly written off Jordan Kipper for the future. I know he is not ready now but he did show some signs at AAA. He seemed to be inconsistent but there were some good starts. He definitely fits the bill for control and ground balls. I am interested to see how he does his second year in the org.

Kipper is probably 7th or 8th on my  list of in house rotation candidates, and that’s not including Ynoa or Castro being stretched out.

Archived