O's interested in Tyler Chatwood

wildcard

5 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

55%Gb ratio / 94.6 avg heater. His numbers the last 2 years on the road, rival Sale and Scherzer's.

This makes too much sense for Duquette.

Miley's ground ball rate was 50% last season. His walk rate was just a little higher than Chatwood's but his K rate was also higher.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to be be pretty surprised if he really signs as cheap as 3/27 or 3/30, especially this early in this offseason. If he were to sign this week I think  you're talking closer to 3/39 to maybe even 3/45. With that said, his crazy spin rates should always fare well away from COL and he's as much of a lock to outperform his deal as anyone in this FA.

FG Article

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

I want to hear "Press conference at 4:00".

As a practical matter, it’s not that likely that the O’s sign anyone before the Winter Meetings that begin December 10.    There’s usually a small handful of signings before then, but not many, and I’m having trouble remembering the last time the O’s signed a significant free agent before the Winter Meetings.    Not that I wouldn’t be happy to see it happen.  

Just now, Frobby said:

As a practical matter, it’s not that likely that the O’s sign anyone before the Winter Meetings that begin December 10.    There’s usually a small handful of signings before then, but not many, and I’m having trouble remembering the last time the O’s signed a significant free agent before the Winter Meetings.    Not that I wouldn’t be happy to see it happen.  

You are right, they never do, not DD's mo

1 minute ago, Tryptamine said:

Too much demand and he's showing too many indicators that he's about to break through. If someone does land him on 3/20 that's going to be a ridiculous steal.

MLBTR is usually pretty close on most, but you could be right, supply and demand will cause the price to go up.

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Certainly not their MO, but if I was a team that needed 3 starting pitchers...I'd get one just as soon as possible.  Signing one or even two early and trading for one seems practical and could do well for a final run and a bridge to next run.  Going into Feb still needing 3 will not percolate well.

Just now, foxfield said:

Certainly not their MO, but if I was a team that needed 3 starting pitchers...I'd get one just as soon as possible.  Signing one or even two early and trading for one seems practical and could do well for a final run and a bridge to next run.  Going into Feb still needing 3 will not percolate well.

Probably not a lot of good free agent starting pitchers looking to sign quickly with the team that had the worst starting pitching in baseball last season. Aside from the money, it could take some time and some convincing to get anything done. Trading for a good pitcher first might make the environment look a little less toxic.

2 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

Probably not a lot of good free agent starting pitchers looking to sign quickly with the team that had the worst starting pitching in baseball last season. Aside from the money, it could take some time and some convincing to get anything done. Trading for a good pitcher first might make the environment look a little less toxic.

Like Roch mentioned, if somebody already had good starting pitching, they are not going to trade that even for somebody like Britton. You dont create a whole by trading for another body.

Just now, Redskins Rick said:

Like Roch mentioned, if somebody already had good starting pitching, they are not going to trade that even for somebody like Britton. You dont create a whole by trading for another body.

Teams trade good starting pitching all the time. 

1 minute ago, mdbdotcom said:

Teams trade good starting pitching all the time. 

Sorry not Roch, but Melewski said this, and makes sense:

The potential issue is that any contending team that wants to add a top reliever like Britton seems not likely to give up any established starting pitcher in return. Why add to one area of the pitching staff while subtracting from another?

17 minutes ago, vab said:

This guy will have plenty of better options at the price they're expecting him to get. The Orioles will have to pay at least 25% above that to land this guy.

They might have to pay a penalty for being so needy, but for most players I think whoever offers them the most money wins the day. Top teams aren't going after guys like this.

Archived