Mark Appel

1BaseBallFan

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favorite one is Matt White.  He got a $10.2 mm bonus from the Rays.   He never made the majors, but used a bit of his bonus money to buy his grandmother’s property so that she could move into a nursing home.   After he bought it, it was discovered that  the property was sitting on a very valuable rock deposit known as Goshen stone.   Talk about winning the lottery twice!    But somehow he ran the quarry operation into bankruptcy.    Story here: http://www.gazettenet.com/Archives/2014/10/SWIFTRIVERSTONE-HG-100814

6 hours ago, weams said:

Mark missed his chance, unfortunately. He's not the only dude who has. 

"In May 2018, Matt Hobgood will travel to Texas for spring training with the Cleburne Railroaders, an independent-league expansion team trying to make a comeback as a hitter.  For so long, he's heard from Orioles fans on Twitter about Mike Trout who was selected 20 picks after him, and how they wished so badly that the Orioles had taken him instead.    "I look back and I'm like, 'Yeah, they probably should've,'" Hobgood said. "I don't blame them."        LA Times

1 hour ago, tntoriole said:

"In May 2018, Matt Hobgood will travel to Texas for spring training with the Cleburne Railroaders, an independent-league expansion team trying to make a comeback as a hitter.  For so long, he's heard from Orioles fans on Twitter about Mike Trout who was selected 20 picks after him, and how they wished so badly that the Orioles had taken him instead.    "I look back and I'm like, 'Yeah, they probably should've,'" Hobgood said. "I don't blame them."        LA Times

Wow. How cool is Matt Hobgood!?!

4 hours ago, tntoriole said:

Gotta say always thought he was a good kid. 

• 2 months later...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/2018/02/01/mark-appel-no-1-overall-mlb-pick-2013-stepping-away-baseball/1086324001/

In an interview with Bleacher Report, Appel, a 26-year-old right-handed pitcher, says he is taking an "indefinite break" from the game after his career hit a roadblock at Class AAA. In 2017, Appel was shelled at Class AAA, posting a 5.60 ERA for Lehigh Valley (Pa.). 

Appel, a Stanford graduate who has settled in Houston, said he plans to seek an internship and apply to business schools, including Stanford, Rice and Harvard.

On 11/22/2017 at 5:25 PM, Frobby said:

Have you seen him throw?   What’s the basis for your opinion?

The basis was that Mike Wright is an absolutely atrocious pitcher.

On 11/22/2017 at 12:17 PM, interloper said:

He's no worse than Mike Wright. You absolutely take a flyer on Mark Appel. His career, despite what Weams is saying, is far from over.

That said, looks like I was way off! Good luck to Mark in his future.

Archived