O's have traded for Konner Wade

birdreg

12 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I certainly hope they are not using sample sizes of 10.1 innings to make personnel decisions.

Scouts often base appraisals of players on just a few games of action.  Scouts aren't scouting results, they are looking for tools, mechanics, etc.  I think scouts should use stats in order to confirm or refute their hypothesis on a player.  Stats can often give scouts an idea of aspects of a players game they should take a longer look at. I don't know how many scouts operate like this, but that's what I try to do when I look at players.  

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, phillyOs119 said:

Scouts often base appraisals of players on just a few games of action.  Scouts aren't scouting results, they are looking for tools, mechanics, etc.  I think scouts should use stats in order to confirm or refute their hypothesis on a player.  Stats can often give scouts an idea of players of aspects of a players game they should take a longer look at. I don't know how many scouts operate like this, but that's what I try to do when I look at players.  

Sure they should factor in what they saw but 10 innings is a minuscule sample size when talking about a player in AA.  They should have tons more data on him that they should also be using.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

It's getting very little instead of getting nothing.

It's hard to judge from the outside without knowledge of the process that goes into these negotiations but I imagine these slots could be dealt in a more thoughtful way.

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sure they should factor in what they saw but 10 innings is a minuscule sample size when talking about a player in AA.  They should have tons more data on him that they should also be using.

I agree, but you were responding to someone that said "Maybe our scouts liked something."  and I was making the point that scouts could have seen something that made them think he was a guy they should target.  

I think scouting and analytics don't work together in some front offices (including the O's) as well as us outsiders would like it to.  They should work together closely, but I doubt they do.

4 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

It's hard to judge from the outside without knowledge of the process that goes into these negotiations but I imagine these slots could be dealt in a more thoughtful way.

If I had them and were not allowed to use them I would attempt to bundle a large number of them to trade to one team for an actual prospect.  The danger of course would be not getting a taker. 

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I had them and were not allowed to use them I would attempt to bundle a large number of them to trade to one team for an actual prospect.  The danger of course would be not getting a taker. 

Agreed, that or target specific types of players. Maybe pitchers who just had TJS, hitters who might benefit from improved launch angle, or guys who might be able to handle a more defensively challenging position than they have attempted, position players with strong arms who might be able to pitch, pitchers with a great pitch they don't use enough or undersized players.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I agree.  The problem is the other teams know that DD is hamstrung by the owner.  The international slot money has zero value to the Orioles, so they can take advantage by simply offering a little bit more than zero. 

1 minute ago, Number5 said:

I agree.  The problem is the other teams know that DD is hamstrung by the owner.  The international slot money has zero value to the Orioles, so they can take advantage by simply offering a little bit more than zero. 

But if there is more than one team that wants the slots, then DD ought to be able to get market value for them.    

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

But if there is more than one team that wants the slots, then DD ought to be able to get market value for them.    

Yes and everyone wants them after these Braves penalties, it's like Christmas came early.

I would have liked to get Thyago Vieira for 500k (like the White Sox did) in slot rather than multiple Konner Wades.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

How so, if the offers aren't being made?  It doesn't seem reasonable to me to believe that DD isn't trying to get the best he can for these slots.  It is absurd that PA refuses to allow the GM to make a real effort to sign international talent.  Very frustrating.  Blaming DD for it, however, just seems silly, IMO.

3 minutes ago, Number5 said:

How so, if the offers aren't being made?  It doesn't seem reasonable to me to believe that DD isn't trying to get the best he can for these slots.  It is absurd that PA refuses to allow the GM to make a real effort to sign international talent.  Very frustrating.  Blaming DD for it, however, just seems silly, IMO.

I place much more of the blame on organizational philosophy (PA) than DD.  Fringe talent is tough to identify though unless you devote generous amounts of resources to it.  These slots acquire fringe talent, I'd like for there to be a strategic way of trying to pinpoint the best fringe talent if this is going to be a yearly occurance (which it is).

3 minutes ago, phillyOs119 said:

I place much more of the blame on organizational philosophy (PA) than DD.  Fringe talent is tough to identify though unless you devote generous amounts of resources to it.  These slots acquire fringe talent, I'd like for there to be a strategic way of trying to pinpoint the best fringe talent if this is going to be a yearly occurance (which it is).

You're saying there's not?

Just now, Number5 said:

You're saying there's not?

Tony would know more about it than me, but I doubt it, I think if there was there'd at least be hints about it from the MASN guys (who get fed the talking points the team wants to the fans to know).  

Archived