Fangraphs on the relationship between Trumbo and Mancini

Frobby

3 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I broke a guy’s wrist about two months ago while playing 1B.    Grounder to me, which I bobbled, causing an unnecessarily close race to 1B that ended up with a collision that the runner got the worst of.    I’m still feeling guilty about it two months later.    At least he was out!

This is probably the most dangerous play in baseball/softball.  Both players running hard at 90 degree angle from each other.  A player died as a result of just such a play in Rockville softball about 7 or 8 years ago when they hit head to head.  Never regained consciousness, was declared brain-dead a few months later, and the family had him taken off life support.  Terrible tragedy.  Best play for the first baseman is to slide into the base.

17 minutes ago, Number5 said:

This is probably the most dangerous play in baseball/softball.  Both players running hard at 90 degree angle from each other.  A player died as a result of just such a play in Rockville softball about 7 or 8 years ago when they hit head to head.  Never regained consciousness, was declared brain-dead a few months later, and the family had him taken off life support.  Terrible tragedy.  Best play for the first baseman is to slide into the base.

We actually play with two bases, one for the fielder and one for the runner, to try to minimize the collision risk.   But this one really was at an exact 90 degree angle so I couldn’t stop my momentum in time to avoid the runner.    He didn’t really hit me all that head on (caught me on my shoulder and hip and I was left standing), but he spun and tripped and fell backwards, landing on his wrist.   By the way, this wasn’t even some kind of league, just a weekly neighborhood pickup game that I run, so we really try hard to avoid situations where injuries are likely. By the same token, many of the players are in their 50’s and 60’s, so we’re all just injuries waiting to happen with our brittle old bones.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/trey-mancini-and-mark-trumbo-on-trey-mancini/

So long as we’re stuck having both on the same squad, it’s good to know that Trumbo has been something of a mentor to Mancini.

Excellent article and very good support for Trey from Mark.   I wish it was Paul Goldschmidt being the mentor, but, hey, you can't have everything.  

10 minutes ago, Frobby said:

We actually play with two bases, one for the fielder and one for the runner, to try to minimize the collision risk.   But this one really was at an exact 90 degree angle so I couldn’t stop my momentum in time to avoid the runner.    He didn’t really hit me all that head on (caught me on my shoulder and hip and I was left standing), but he spun and tripped and fell backwards, landing on his wrist.   By the way, this wasn’t even some kind of league, just a weekly neighborhood pickup game that I run, so we really try hard to avoid situations where injuries are likely. By the same token, many of the players are in their 50’s and 60’s, so we’re all just injuries waiting to happen with our brittle old bones.

Yes, Rockville has the orange bag, as well, but it doesn't really help if the first baseman is running hard at 90 degrees from the baseline.  As I said, the safe play is for the first baseman to slide into the white bag.  Unfortunately, very few guys playing first in softball leagues have had any type of training on first base defensive play.  This type of collision happens all to often.  Sometimes causing knee, hip, or shoulder damage or broken bones.  Fortunately, that Rockville incident is the only one I'm familiar with that caused extreme injury.

• 2 months later...

TREY MANCINI RANKED FIFTH ON MLB NETWORK’S COUNTDOWN

TOP 10 LEFT FIELDERS RIGHT NOW!

January 29, 2018 – Baltimore Orioles left fielder Trey Mancini ranked fifth on MLB Network’s annual Top 10 Left Fielders Right Now! program this past Saturday. Mancini, who makes his debut on the countdown, finished one spot ahead of the Athletics’ Khris Davis and one spot behind the Brewers’ Ryan Braun.

In addition to Mancini, the Orioles’ Jonathan Schoop ranked seventh on the Top 10 Second Basemen Right Now! last week, while Tim Beckham ranked tenth on the Top 10 Shortstops Right Now! and Manny Machado ranked eighth on the Top 10 Third Basemen Right Now! two weeks ago.

Hosted by MLB Network’s Brian Kenny alongside MLB Network analysts, each Top 10 Right Now! ranking takes into account player performance over the last two seasons, a number of offensive and defensive metrics, both advanced Statcast data and traditional numbers, and expert analysis by the MLB Network research team.

The complete ranking for MLB Network’s top-10 left fielders is listed below and an embeddable recap on Mancini can be seen here:

Top 10 Left Fielders Right Now!

1.            Marcell Ozuna, St. Louis Cardinals

2.            Yoenis Céspedes, New York Mets

3.            Justin Upton, Los Angeles Angels

4.            Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers

5.            Trey Mancini, Baltimore Orioles

1 minute ago, weams said:

TREY MANCINI RANKED FIFTH ON MLB NETWORK’S COUNTDOWN

TOP 10 LEFT FIELDERS RIGHT NOW!

January 29, 2018 – Baltimore Orioles left fielder Trey Mancini ranked fifth on MLB Network’s annual Top 10 Left Fielders Right Now! program this past Saturday. Mancini, who makes his debut on the countdown, finished one spot ahead of the Athletics’ Khris Davis and one spot behind the Brewers’ Ryan Braun.

In addition to Mancini, the Orioles’ Jonathan Schoop ranked seventh on the Top 10 Second Basemen Right Now! last week, while Tim Beckham ranked tenth on the Top 10 Shortstops Right Now! and Manny Machado ranked eighth on the Top 10 Third Basemen Right Now! two weeks ago.

Hosted by MLB Network’s Brian Kenny alongside MLB Network analysts, each Top 10 Right Now! ranking takes into account player performance over the last two seasons, a number of offensive and defensive metrics, both advanced Statcast data and traditional numbers, and expert analysis by the MLB Network research team.

The complete ranking for MLB Network’s top-10 left fielders is listed below and an embeddable recap on Mancini can be seen here:

Top 10 Left Fielders Right Now!

1.            Marcell Ozuna, St. Louis Cardinals

2.            Yoenis Céspedes, New York Mets

3.            Justin Upton, Los Angeles Angels

4.            Ryan Braun, Milwaukee Brewers

5.            Trey Mancini, Baltimore Orioles

Amazing, considering before last season, nobody thought he could play COF.

We all thought the team was nuts.

Just like right now, when they are swapping Manny and Beckham around, we think they are nuts, but we are nuts, and they know what they are doing? :)

Archived