Gary Thorne must go.

bigbird

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like Thorne. He has some weird quirks and annoyances, but just about every announcer does. Him and Palmer are by far my favorite televison play-by-play team for the O's.

As for Hunter, I don't see how anyone could prefer him over Thorne. His voice can be grating at times, and I don't like all the homer-isms he tends to exhibit.

Waaaa, I am an Orioles fan and I am so insecure that I need to know that my team has the announcer's approval. Not bleeding black and orange got Jon Miller fired and everybody complained and now you want Thorne fired for the same offense. There are no bad guys and good guys, I don't want Hawk Harrelson as the announcer for my team. I am mature enough to accept that Thorne gets excited when exciting plays happen, he is capturing the feeling of the game. Why is that so terrible?

I think the point is that he isn't impartial at all, he's partial in the wrong way. I don't think people would complain as much if he was just impartial.

Is there any (cheap) way of getting tapes of every Orioles vs. Red Sox MASN broadcast? I would like to conduct a scientific experiment analyzing the decibel level between his Orioles HR calls and his Red Sox HR calls. I really like him as an announcer, and find him fun to listen to (and light years beyond Jim Hunter), but I have very little doubt that he's a die-hard Red Sox fan, and I would like the opportunity to prove it...

Thorne isn't perfect, but then again, who is?

Let us now all admit that we were hopelessly spoiled when Jon Miller was here, and will likely never, ever be happy again... :(

BTW, did you notice the Orioles won tonight? Or is that why you're complaining about this?

I'm sick of listening to this jazbo get excited when the bad guys do something. He's no more an Oriole announcer than the man in the moon.

I am glad you brought this up. Thorne frustrates me in every game. He openly pulls for the Yankees (I think he is Jeters uncle) and there were times tonight when he seemed to be thrilled when the Red Sox did something. (Ramirez and Drew HR, to name 2). In addition, they had one of the grat Orioles in the booth and they talk about Manny Ramirez. I get that Eddie was there to present Captin Defense with an award but couldn't they have asked him one Oriole question. I can not stand listening to him.

Let us now all admit that we were hopelessly spoiled when Jon Miller was here, and will likely never, ever be happy again... :(

BTW, did you notice the Orioles won tonight? Or is that why you're complaining about this?

I agree he isn't perfect, but he is decent. Hunter is the one that was awful over the weekend. I'm not sure how many things he missed or called wrong. I am sure since he only gets to do it on the weekends it makes it harder but still.

I was thinking he needed to listed to his own commercials...every play...every game. He got excited about nothing a few times. He even called a few things wrong in the recap. No big deal, just annoying that they get paid good money to announce a sport I love -- and can't even get it right, sometimes.

Great win tonight! I expectantly come to the Hangout, to find:

A thread bashing Gary Thorne :angryfire:

A thread bashing Eddie Murray :angryfire:

There's a whole bunch of people running around the Hangout tonight acting like spoiled, insecure babies.

Seriously, people...couldn't you just enjoy the win? Or, do you need something to b!tch and moan about to make your day complete? :angryfire:

Otherwise, I'm going to have to put half of y'all on ignore! :cussing:

I used to get on the M's fans about Dave Niehaus, because he always sounded senile over the past few years. They would always tell me that he is so great. He is the M's, etc. But he would say things like, "That ball was BELTED, DEEP...oh, the shortstop goes out for the popup."

I had only been listening to him for a few years, when my bro was with the M's, however I just couldn't stand him. At least they cut his time on tv every year to half the game, then cut him to 3 innings on tv. He then moved to radio for the rest of the game.

Archived