Dan Duquette on O's Hot Stove at 6pm, Nov 30th

wildcard

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think that Tillman can't be fixed.  I think its that Dan does not have the confidence that the O's have the people to fix him.

MLBTR has him getting 10mil and going to the Rigers

In need of a fifth starter, the Tigers have had preliminary talks with right-hander Chris Tillman, tweets Jon Morosi of MLB.com. The longtime Orioles righty is coming off the worst season of his career and represents a nice rebound option that the rebuilding Tigers could look to as a potential summer trade chip if he can regain his form. Tillman, 30 next April, had the start of his season delayed by shoulder problems and pitched to a ghastly 7.84 ERA with 6.1 K/9, 4.9 BB/9 and 2.32 HR/9 in 93 innings when healthy. While those numbers are tough to look at, the former second-rounder was Baltimore’s most consistent starter from 2012-16, when he pitched 844 2/3 innings of 3.81 ERA ball. From 2013-16, Tillman averaged 32 starts and 190 innings per season with a 3.91 ERA. MLBTR ranked him 47th on our top 50 free agent list, pegging him for a one-year, $10MM contract in Detroit.

3 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I don't think that Tillman can't be fixed.  I think its that Dan does not have the confidence that the O's have the people to fix him.

Are any of us really in a position to make this statement? It almost crosses into..."I'm not a MLB pitching coach, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" territory. And you're really taking a giant leap saying Dan doesn't have confidence is his coaches. 

14 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Are any of us really in a position to make this statement? It almost crosses into..."I'm not a MLB pitching coach, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn last night" territory. And you're really taking a giant leap saying Dan doesn't have confidence is his coaches. 

I can say what I think from listening to Dan.

Dan said "I’m not sure we have identified exactly what the solution is to getting him back to form that he was previously. That’s something that we worked on all year and we’re still taking a look at it.”

If the O's have worked with Tillman to fix him for the better part of a season and they still have not identified the solution, how much confidence does that show in the O's ability to fix Tillman?

10 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I can say what I think from listening to Dan.

Dan said "I’m not sure we have identified exactly what the solution is to getting him back to form that he was previously. That’s something that we worked on all year and we’re still taking a look at it.”

If the O's have worked with Tillman to fix him for the better part of a season and they still have not identified the solution, how much confidence does that show in the O's ability to fix Tillman?

Keep in mind, some of that time, Tillman was injured, hard to work on mechanics when your body isn't 100%

36 minutes ago, wildcard said:

That sounds pathetic.   If true, what does that say about DD’s confidence in his own organization?    

I will always root for Chris Tillman. Even if he’s signed by the Yankees or Red Sox.    He’s a stand up guy who contributed immensely to the Orioles during their 2012-16 run.    But I really didn’t like what I saw last year, so I’d only sign him at a salary where we wouldn’t hesitate to cut him if he wasn’t able to perform at a decent level.   I’m fine with heavy incentives that reward him if he returns to form.   

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

That sounds pathetic.   If true, what does that say about DD’s confidence in his own organization?    

Its says that Dan probably will not spend 6-10m on a one contract for a player that the O's have not been ability to identify  what is wrong with him.  He may spend 2m on a base contract  with incentives.   

Dan himself can't fix pitchers.  He has to look has what has been done so far with Tillman.  Where they are with a plan to bring him back to his former self.  It does not sound like he thinks that have gotten very far with that plan.

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I will always root for Chris Tillman. Even if he’s signed by the Yankees or Red Sox.    He’s a stand up guy who contributed immensely to the Orioles during their 2012-16 run.    But I really didn’t like what I saw last year, so I’d only sign him at a salary where we wouldn’t hesitate to cut him if he wasn’t able to perform at a decent level.   I’m fine with heavy incentives that reward him if he returns to form.   

Folks still haven't figured out that DD is just going thru the motions and doing the minimum to fulfill his contract (that he previously tried to wrangle out of). PA has beat him down, and I don't think he cares much about the O's in 2018 or especially beyond.

On 12/1/2017 at 4:32 PM, Number5 said:

I'm sorry, but I'm not following you here.  Dan said he would like to keep Schoop around, not that he wouldn't, right?

I am saying he is an idiot for saying we would like to keep him for the best part of his career.  Of course that is the case, no one wants to pay a guy for bad production, but you don't say that out loud.  You heap praise, say you want to make him an Oriole for life, and awknowledge he could be one of the best ever for the organization at 2B.

2 minutes ago, Camden_yardbird said:

I am saying he is an idiot for saying we would like to keep him for the best part of his career.  Of course that is the case, no one wants to pay a guy for bad production, but you don't say that out loud.  You heap praise, say you want to make him an Oriole for life, and awknowledge he could be one of the best ever for the organization at 2B.

WTH

Bad production?

5.1 WAR last year, is a lot of reason to heap praise.

Only 25 and still in his prime and still growing and learning as a player.

48 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Folks still haven't figured out that DD is just going thru the motions and doing the minimum to fulfill his contract (that he previously tried to wrangle out of). PA has beat him down, and I don't think he cares much about the O's in 2018 or especially beyond.

If he wants another job after this one, then he’d better care.   And I believe he will do his best to carry out what ownership instructs him to do.

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

WTH

Bad production?

5.1 WAR last year, is a lot of reason to heap praise.

Only 25 and still in his prime and still growing and learning as a player.

I am pretty sure he was referring to the end of Schoop's hypothetical career arc, not his current production.

3 hours ago, webbrick2010 said:

This might be Dan's last GM gig, might be his last significant role in baseball. I'm sure he would like to experience a WS victory, pretty much everyone that works professionally in baseball would like to experience that.  

Don't think he would mail in what might be his last chance to be the architect of a world championship team.  

Archived