Rule 5 Target - Nestor Cortes - LHP

Luke-OH

2 minutes ago, backwardsk said:

Hope so.  Hope he gets the starts until Cobb comes back.

Edit:  whoops.  I meant Castro getting the starts.

congrats to Cortes for making the team.

Castro was making these guys look stupid today. His changeup was diving out of the zone big time.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Right? That's why he was so good in the minors. He would mess around with his arm angle on breaking balls, change up his timing to the plate. Did we get him and immediately restrict him to one arm angle and give him the TTTP spiel? Because that's what it looks like.

If so, he's just any other lefty with a 88 mph fastball and he's not going to last.

If so, the Orioles continue to make the wrong choices on getting the best out of their pitchers.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

Right? That's why he was so good in the minors. He would mess around with his arm angle on breaking balls, change up his timing to the plate. Did we get him and immediately restrict him to one arm angle and give him the TTTP spiel? Because that's what it looks like.

If so, he's just any other lefty with a 88 mph fastball and he's not going to last.

If so, the Orioles continue to make the wrong choices on getting the best out of their pitchers.

A lot of “if so’s” here.    What makes you think the O’s have done any of that?     I doubt they have.   

Regarding the grand slam...Four or five 88 mph fastballs in a row versus a seasoned hitter at 3 and 2 got him exactly what was coming.  Trust your stuff. Reddick was set up for offspeed there; take the chance on walking one in versus putting the game out of reach. Easy for me to say, sure, but that was a poor sequence of pitch selection.  I wonder if Nestor was acquiescing there or agreed with the pitch calls.

He has dropped down side arm, but he hasn’t varied his delivery pace. In AAA last year (and I watched video of every AAA start for my Rule 5 target piece) he’d change the pace of his delivery frequently similar to Cueto. So I’m not sure what the deal is, I agree with Frobby, his command has definitely been down a notch so perhaps he’s trying to keep things simple to command the ball better.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

A lot of “if so’s” here.    What makes you think the O’s have done any of that?     I doubt they have.   

It's the same "if so", lol. I don't have any idea what the O's have or have not done. I just remember him looking more crafty in videos than he does since becoming an Oriole. But I'm no scout. 

I agree his command was poor. I don't really know why Sisco called for a fastball 3-2 to the left-handed Reddick. Try a sweeping breaking ball there and if you walk in the run, so be it.

7 hours ago, Rene88 said:

I think Cortes is on borrowed time. He better turn things around and fast. Going to be hard too because he has been awful. Wasn't really all that great in ST either.

Hate to say it, but I agree.    I had very high hopes before ST began, but he’s looked very mediocre.    Major league hitters aren’t easily fooled.    

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Hate to say it, but I agree.    I had very high hopes before ST began, but he’s looked very mediocre.    Major league hitters aren’t easily fooled.    

Yeah, same. Not nearly as deceptive as advertised.

The bullpen as a whole as underperformed. I just don’t see how Arajuo or Cortes, are more valuable than the Norfolk shuttle. 

Arajua- looks good. Seems like he has possible 3 pitches. FB was only at 93. He is a finesse RH out the pen. 

I’d rather just go with the shuttle of Joely, Hart, Aquino, Scott, Yacabonis, Yefry, Hess, Long, etc....

Archived