Winter Meetings 2017

weams

2 minutes ago, twinedenter said:

The crazy cost of pitching has not changed in years. All the more reason you don't allow your club to go into the off-season needing 3 starters. Its poor roster management and absolute reactivity. Which this front office has shown in its tenure. Not to say it wasn't as issue prior.

I have to disagree.

TOR was not getting 31 million per year, a few years.

Tillman had a very off year, and MLBTR believes he will get 10 mil per year.

• Replies 279
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have to disagree.

Of course it has gone up. But, my point was it has been crazy the last 3-4 years. It's not going down. You have to be

1) proactive and plan ahead.

2) pay the market.

3) Use HOPE as your strategy (good luck with that)

1 hour ago, Redskins Rick said:

I have to disagree.

Just because MLBTR says it doesn’t make it so.     I’d be astounded if any team paid him anywhere near that guaranteed.   

I don't understand how the Yankees can be going after Stanton when they are supposedly wanting to sign Bryce Harper next season. I also know that they are trying to get under the luxury tax this season. Please tell me that the Yankees won't get Stanton and Harper. Come on Dodgers! Please trade for Stanton. The Dodgers are supposedly the team that Stanton wants to play for.

2 hours ago, Diehard_O's_Fan said:

I don't understand how the Yankees can be going after Stanton when they are supposedly wanting to sign Bryce Harper next season. I also know that they are trying to get under the luxury tax this season. Please tell me that the Yankees won't get Stanton and Harper. Come on Dodgers! Please trade for Stanton. The Dodgers are supposedly the team that Stanton wants to play for.

The Yankees are looking at Stanton because there's a decent chance they can get him at a discount price. The Marlins are desperate to move him - meaning they may eat $$$ and take less-valuable players than Stanton warrants in return.

3 hours ago, FlipTheBird said:

The Yankees are looking at Stanton because there's a decent chance they can get him at a discount price. The Marlins are desperate to move him - meaning they may eat $$$ and take less-valuable players than Stanton warrants in return.

Correct - and why bother with Harper later when you can get Stanton now?  The Yankees are ahead of their rebuilding (retooling) schedule and Stanton will probably be less of a headache.  And they can focus on other areas.  Makes sense to me.

As far as Miami goes, their front office is basically ex-Yankees.  They can probably swipe a couple prospects they feel really good about.

On 12/6/2017 at 3:05 PM, twinedenter said:

Of course it has gone up. But, my point was it has been crazy the last 3-4 years. It's not going down. You have to be

1) proactive and plan ahead.

2) pay the market.

3) Use HOPE as your strategy (good luck with that)

Develop a SP works too.  We tossed aside perfectly good #4-5 SP’s in Miranda and Bridwell. Now we have to pay guys $8 million to fill their roles. 

We have a 170 million payroll and have to rely on Mike Wright at 27 finally figuring it out. Poor resource allocation. 

Archived