Jacoby Ellsbury?

auzzy98

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Frobby said:

Is Ellsbury signed just for 2018?   No.    And he doesn’t have the arm for RF, in my opinion.   

Sometimes u have to sign a guy longer than u want to get one or two years out of them. You're right, he probably doesn't have the arm for right field. If Hays is ready to start, then yeah there is no need for Ellsbury, and I am on board with him, but it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen seeing as DD keeps talking about trading for a RF. Who else is out there that would fit the bill? We need high OBP, Steals bases, possible leadoff.

2 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

He only played 112 games because they had a crowded outfield with emerging prospects. Yes, he has underperformed the last few years, but that's because the Yanks have players ready to replace him. I believe he would have more value to the O's with less talent than the Yankees. Even at 34, he's more talented than alot of the options we currently have. But i see your point too, it may not be the best option available, but i don't see a huge amount of harm with it either. And like i said he had a .348 OBP and stole 22 bases last year in a limited role. That would not hurt us.

Unfortunately your point is the Yankees 4th outfielder would be in position to be one of our best players.  I actually am not debating that and it's why I'm behind a full makeover of our roster.  This just proves how far we are behind the Yankees and that was before any additions they make this off season. Even though Ellsbury may be a positive addition for the O's, it just isn't the direction they need to go right now.  Focus on getting upside young pitching depth any way you can.  That is really the only way I see the O's competing against Boston and NY in the next several years because they are stacked with talent and have money to spend. 

Just now, turtlebowl said:

Unfortunately your point is the Yankees 4th outfielder would be in position to be one of our best players.  I actually am not debating that and it's why I'm behind a full makeover of our roster.  This just proves how far we are behind the Yankees and that was before any additions they make this off season. Even though Ellsbury may be a positive addition for the O's, it just isn't the direction they need to go right now.  Focus on getting upside young pitching depth any way you can.  That is really the only way I see the O's competing against Boston and NY in the next several years because they are stacked with talent and have money to spend. 

I agree with you. BUT, my point was that we would be getting some possible pitching prospects back with him. That's why it's the best of both worlds. Yes, we are FAR behind the Yanks for sure, but why not try and compete with them this year and then overhaul with some of their prospect depth in the future? Also I'm not saying Ellsbury would be one of our best players, but i think he would help in some of our areas of desperate need.

Higher combined WAR over the last 2 seasons than Adam Jones according to both major flavors. They're similar in on-field value. I'd take him super cheap on a dump. Move Jones to RF and Ellsbury plays CF until someone else is ready.

With the caveat being that they are not rebuilding, as they should but won't.

5 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

Sometimes u have to sign a guy longer than u want to get one or two years out of them. You're right, he probably doesn't have the arm for right field. If Hays is ready to start, then yeah there is no need for Ellsbury, and I am on board with him, but it doesn't sound like that's likely to happen seeing as DD keeps talking about trading for a RF. Who else is out there that would fit the bill? We need high OBP, Steals bases, possible leadoff.

If what you want is a 34-year old RF who has a good OBP but no power, there’s one Atlanta would probably trade us, who only has one year to go on his contract.    Not that I’m advocating that move, but I’d like it better than having Ellsbury for 3 years.   

Just now, Frobby said:

If what you want is a 34-year old RF who has a good OBP but no power, there’s one Atlanta would probably trade us, who only has one year to go on his contract.    Not that I’m advocating that move, but I’d like it better than having Ellsbury for 3 years.   

True, but he won't get any stolen bases, and no prospects back either. 

3 minutes ago, auzzy98 said:

I agree with you. BUT, my point was that we would be getting some possible pitching prospects back with him. That's why it's the best of both worlds. Yes, we are FAR behind the Yanks for sure, but why not try and compete with them this year and then overhaul with some of their prospect depth in the future? Also I'm not saying Ellsbury would be one of our best players, but i think he would help in some of our areas of desperate need.

I think we both can spin this many different ways but in reality I don't see us dealing with the Yankees regardless.  Well, unless a trade was totally one sided and I don't see that happening either.  

1 minute ago, turtlebowl said:

I think we both can spin this many different ways but in reality I don't see us dealing with the Yankees regardless.  Well, unless a trade was totally one sided and I don't see that happening either.  

I don't know. They seem pretty desperate to deal him.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Trading for Ellsbury's 34-36 age years at 3/30 is a terrible idea.   He is in decline.

That's true, he is in decline, but so is Jones, and we still like him. Ellsbury would be serviceable over those age years i think, and i think some of you guys are missing a big point of this...getting back QUALITY prospects. This is a good way to start rebuilding our farm system.

Just now, auzzy98 said:

That's true, he is in decline, but so is Jones, and we still like him. Ellsbury would be serviceable over those age years i think, and i think some of you guys are missing a big point of this...getting back QUALITY prospects. This is a good way to start rebuilding our farm system.

Nah, Jones is still really good and the O's could totally get value for him in a trade. Ellsbury is bad and worthless no matter how cheap you can get him.

1 minute ago, auzzy98 said:

I guess where I'm losing you is I don't think they are going to eat some of his contract and then throw in a solid prospect or 2 unless the O's give up something they really need.  That was my point, why would we trade them a piece  they need?  Some team will give up a C prospect and the Yanks will  agree to eat some of that contract and call it a day.  

O's really should be starting Hays in RF.  

11 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, Kakes would be the lesser of 2 evils.  Just start Hays please.  

Just now, turtlebowl said:

I guess where I'm losing you is I don't think they are going to eat some of his contract and then throw in a solid prospect or 2 unless the O's give up something they really need.  That was my point, why would we trade them a piece  they need?  Some team will give up a C prospect and the Yanks will  agree to eat some of that contract and call it a day.  

That may be true. Just going off what the article says about them giving up quality prospects to  make him enticing for a team to take off their hands.

Archived