Is Dan Waiting on Machado Before Doing Anything Else?

Bahama O's Fan

23 hours ago, Tx Oriole said:

I agree. Hate to see Brady the GM.

I don’t know why so many posters assume Brady would be a bad GM.   I don’t think we really know one way or the other.    I’d probably prefer to go with someone with more of an analytical background, but I wouldn’t assume Brady would  do a bad job.    

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know why so many posters assume Brady would be a bad GM.   I don’t think we really know one way or the other.    I’d probably prefer to go with someone with more of an analytical background, but I wouldn’t assume Brady would  do a bad job.    

For the life of me, I do not understand it one iota.

Why would do people assume the worse?

Being an ex-alumni player, you would believe people would over-evaluate him and think he would lead the team to the next dynasty.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Who knows but what are his qualifications?  He seems to be a jack of all trades. I respect what he accomplished as a player and I know he is passionate about the Orioles. 

If he gets the job the biggest reason is because he has a close relationship with the owner, what on his resume screams GM? 

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I have said a number of times, not that Brady would be a bad GM, but that I don't know of anything in his experience, or of any demonstrated ability he has, that suggests he would be a competent GM. Maybe he has such experience or ability, but I'm not aware of it.

On the other hand, I have read things that make me think Brady would be more than willing to do Angelos's bidding without complaint or pressing his own differing opinions. I also would be concerned that other teams' executives, aware of his limited experience, would try to take advantage of the Orioles..

Duquette hasn't done a good job for the O's. He has spent money poorly and made terrible decisions with young starters and with starting pitching in general. He has made some good moves AND he does have to deal with PA. 

Dan's inability to supplement this team, his fault totally or not, has taken us to the end of the window with no championships. 2015 and 2017, 2 of the window seasons, were total failures for Duquette, for multiple reasons.

It is not all on him as we know PA has issues, but he is responsible and many of his decisions have been just plain bad.

I will be happy when he is replaced and although nothing is to say they will be better, IMO, doing much worse would be difficult.

17 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Who knows but what are his qualifications?  He seems to be a jack of all trades. I respect what he accomplished as a player and I know he is passionate about the Orioles. 

If he gets the job the biggest reason is because he has a close relationship with the owner, what on his resume screams GM? 

How did Patrick Ewing get the head coach job at Georgetown?

He was assistant was was mentored for the job.

In 2012, Anderson was named special assistant to the executive vice president of baseball operations by the Baltimore Orioles.

In 2013, Anderson was promoted by the Baltimore Orioles to the role of Vice President of baseball operations.

Its not like he was hired yesterday.

He been around several years, and should have soaked up some knowledge along the way.

19 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

I have said a number of times, not that Brady would be a bad GM, but that I don't know of anything in his experience, or of any demonstrated ability he has, that suggests he would be a competent GM. Maybe he has such experience or ability, but I'm not aware of it.

On the other hand, I have read things that make me think Brady would be more than willing to do Angelos's bidding without complaint or pressing his own differing opinions. I also would be concerned that other teams' executives, aware of his limited experience, would try to take advantage of the Orioles..

If even half the things said about working for PA are true, can you imagine a worse environment to learn the right way to be a GM?  If DD leaves and Brady gets promoted, it will say to me that PA learned nothing from the Syd Thrift and Mike Flanagan experiments.

19 minutes ago, 24fps said:

If even half the things said about working for PA are true, can you imagine a worse environment to learn the right way to be a GM?  If DD leaves and Brady gets promoted, it will say to me that PA learned nothing from the Syd Thrift and Mike Flanagan experiments.

I’m not sure I follow your logic.   Since the environment is not going to change, why is a new GM from outside the organization — and not used to dealing with that environment — better prepared to handle it than someone who has seen it from the inside?   

41 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

How did Patrick Ewing get the head coach job at Georgetown?

He was assistant was was mentored for the job.

Its not like he was hired yesterday.

He been around several years, and should have soaked up some knowledge along the way.

If its true that Brady was an advocate for both the O'day and CD signings... then that is all I need to know that he shouldn't be a ML GM

35 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

If its true that Brady was an advocate for both the O'day and CD signings... then that is all I need to know that he shouldn't be a ML GM

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I heard that Brady was involved with getting the deals done.

That does not mean he was in favor of said deals.

Yes, I’d need more solid information here — and I consider the O’Day contract a lot more defensible than the Davis deal.   

31 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’m not sure I follow your logic.   Since the environment is not going to change, why is a new GM from outside the organization — and not used to dealing with that environment — better prepared to handle it than someone who has seen it from the inside?   

I don't care if the new GM is old or young.  I don't care if he or she primarily relies on human input or leans heavily on technology just as long as they're effective.  Couldn't care less.  I care very much that this person accepts the position with enough clout to negotiate enough autonomy to keep PA's management impulses in check.  MacPhail had it to some degree and DD to a greater degree as near as I can tell.  Good steps, but not enough IMO.  I would like to see the next GM be even more independent and able to impose a different culture.  Would anyone argue that the current culture couldn't use some improvement?  My logic assumes a change in the environment is necessary but I guess that wasn't clear in my original post.

I hope the last GM search was a wakeup call to PA.  Promoting from within sends me a signal that it wasn't.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

I would like to see some evidence that he would be good. Hell I guess I could be a good GM for the O's as well.....to my knowledge Brady has no past experience running a sports franchise. If he has some background in shaping a successful ball club, let me know, maybe I missed it.  

Archived