Yelich

Brion McClanahan

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, sportsfan8703 said:

If there is one thing we have it is OF prospects in the upper minors.  We could trade Machado for Yelich and then watch Jeter turn around and trade him to the NYY. 

Or he could just trade Yelich somewhere for more than NY would give for Manny.

That would seem to be the much smarter move right?

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or he could just trade Yelich somewhere for more than NY would give for Manny.

That would seem to be the much smarter move right?

I'm not sure.  I haven't been following other teams too much this offseason.  It does seem like Manny is the guy the Yanks want and they are going to have to go through another team to get him.  The Yankees seem to be set in the OF.  So Yelich isn't a fit?  I'm not sure. 

Is two years of Yelich worth one of Manny? 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I'm not sure.  I haven't been following other teams too much this offseason.  It does seem like Manny is the guy the Yanks want and they are going to have to go through another team to get him.  The Yankees seem to be set in the OF.  So Yelich isn't a fit?  I'm not sure. 

Is two years of Yelich worth one of Manny? 

Why does it seem that way?

Could it just be the old New York Bias coming into play?

Yes, I'm sure the Yanks would love Manny on their team, every team would love a player of Manny's skill. 

I also didn't say anything about the Marlins trading Yelich to the Yankees.  I said that the Marlins could trade Yelich to a team for more than the Yankees would give them for Manny.

Chen has 3/60 left and hoping PRP saves him from TJ.  We want a left-handed starter.

Assuming Hays doesn't get RF to start season, we have a RF opening and prefer a left-handed hitter for line up balance.

If Chen's worthless, does Yelich have more than $60M surplus value?

Chen & Yelich for PTBNL

If the Marlins are trying to cut salaries, why would they trade Yelich for Manny.  One of the things that makes Yelich attractive is he's got a reasonable long-term contract.  If they trade him, they'll want prospects, and the O's are not in a good position to trade prospects.  I could see a team like Atlanta making a big push for Yelich - especially if they can find someone to take the last year of Markakis' contract.  

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Chen has 3/60 left and hoping PRP saves him from TJ.  We want a left-handed starter.

Assuming Hays doesn't get RF to start season, we have a RF opening and prefer a left-handed hitter for line up balance.

Chen & Yelich for PTBNL

You think Ownership would approve that deal?

7 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Chen & Yelich for PTBNL

That would be foolish to waste the value of Yelich by packaging him with Chen. 

Miami would be foolish to trade Yelich in general though. I guess if their rebuild is going to take 5-7 years it makes some sense.

It depends on how brazen the Marlins new owners are.  I heard Buster Olney's Baseball Tonight podcast on ESPN over the weekend, and they were kicking the can on do the Marlins want to get to Charlotte or Portland, and would they play a AAA team for a couple years to demonstrate Miami's a bad market.  I don't think that's the case, but was just conjecturing in that vein.

If you count Chen's commitment as part of Yelich's compensation, it'd be like having Yelich for 4/$103.  That feels about right - the AAV's maybe a little high, but the shorter term's advantageous.

1 minute ago, OrioleDog said:

It depends on how brazen the Marlins new owners are.  I heard Buster Olney's Baseball Tonight podcast on ESPN over the weekend, and they were kicking the can on do the Marlins want to get to Charlotte or Portland, and would they play a AAA team for a couple years to demonstrate Miami's a bad market.  I don't think that's the case, but was just conjecturing in that vein.

If you count Chen's commitment as part of Yelich's compensation, it'd be like having Yelich for 4/$103.  That feels about right - the AAV's maybe a little high, but the shorter term's advantageous.

I would hate to think the local government down there spent a billion in taxpayer money for a new stadium and didn't bind them up in a strong lease.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I would hate to think the local government down there spent a billion in taxpayer money for a new stadium and didn't bind them up in a strong lease.

I dont trust they do.

They gave Loria a sweetheart deal and they didnt even have the money, so they borrow the billions on long term bonds, when they come do, the city will be hurting.

Talk about a loanshark deal. SMH

The Miami Herald does the math on just one set of those bonds, which raised $91 million. Payments begin in 2026, and quickly skyrocket. By 2048, when the last payment is due, the total reaches $1.18 billion

Archived